Things you can't do anymore now you're self employed..

Ancutza

Remember the days when you worked for someone else? After a hard day today, and with a grueling week ahead of me, I was thinking about the things I miss from the days when I didn't work for myself.....

Top of the list...throwing a 'sickey' because you just can't be asked...

Give out about the boss..:D
Love it. I don't work for myself but have a few friends who do. One tells me he now works for the vat man, the bank man and his wife, who all tell him what they want and when they want it.

Oh Blast - If I have that round of golf Thursday morning, will I miss that sale?

I don't go to staff meetings and have performance reviews with SMART goals for the year etc. Really miss those :rolleyes: I tell ya :D

Get even a single solitary pennies help from the state if your business sinks after paying in tens of thousand to the public purse in taxes.

I don't have to thread on egg shells when dealing with female colleagues and can decide to hire.

I don't have to pay as much tax and can make generous pension contributions.

I don't get told what to do by someone less qualified and experienced than me and feel resentful for it and towards them because they're father is well connected.

Get even a single solitary pennies help from the state if your business sinks after paying in tens of thousand to the public purse in taxes.
Could that have anything to do with not making the same PRSI contributions as employees make?

Or to be clearer, would if I could while keeping all the other benefits of being self-employed, but I can't.

You want your bread buttered on both sides.

Can you give me 1 reason why the self-employed should not be allowed to pay higher Pay Related Social Insurance aka stamps?

Can you give me 1 reason why the self-employed should not be allowed to pay higher Pay Related Social Insurance aka stamps?
Why don't you ask Jim. He seems to have a good understanding of the financial benefits of being self-employed.

My main concern would be that the insured person (the self-employed person) has some degree of control over the insurable event (e.g. making himself redundant, closing the company down). You generally can't insure against your own actions.

Why don't you ask Jim. He seems to have a good understanding of the financial benefits of being self-employed.

My main concern would be that the insured person (the self-employed person) has some degree of control over the insurable event (e.g. making himself redundant, closing the company down). You generally can't insure against your own actions.

Regarding Jim's 2nd point - the tax advantages of old are largely closed off to the majority of self-employed people. The one area that remains is the increased pension payments that can be made. However, as less tax is payable now, additional tax will be payable when the pension is drawn down.

I take your point re the voluntary act of closing down a business. This I'd imagine for 99% of poeple would happen at retirement time. In the main however companies close down because they have to. I think a little more support / fallback for self-employed people might provide an incentive for more people to start a business.

I don't have to thread on egg shells when dealing with female colleagues and can decide to hire.

I don't get told what to do by someone less qualified and experienced than me and feel resentful for it and towards them because they're father is well connected.

Was becomming self-employed your choice :rolleyes: ?

Regarding Jim's 2nd point - the tax advantages of old are largely closed off to the majority of self-employed people. The one area that remains is the increased pension payments that can be made. However, as less tax is payable now, additional tax will be payable when the pension is drawn down.
Some self-employed people are fairly clear on their ability to retain 75%-85% of income; see

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=134848
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=56970

I take your point re the voluntary act of closing down a business. This I'd imagine for 99% of poeple would happen at retirement time. In the main however companies close down because they have to. I think a little more support / fallback for self-employed people might provide an incentive for more people to start a business.

You might be right about the additional encouragement to start a business, and personally I wouldn't have a huge problem with making the benefit avavilable, but only where there is a level playing field. You can't expect this benefit, and to retain all the other benefits. And you'd have to address the issue of the person being able to 'trigger' the insured benefit.

Some self-employed people are fairly clear on their ability to retain 75%-85% of income; see

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=134848
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=56970

You might be right about the additional encouragement to start a business, and personally I wouldn't have a huge problem with making the benefit avavilable, but only where there is a level playing field. You can't expect this benefit, and to retain all the other benefits. And you'd have to address the issue of the person being able to 'trigger' the insured benefit.

I really question gonk's numbers as have others. There are certainly deductable expenses, but these have to be incurred first.

I'd agree with your 2nd point - I think there needs to be give and take here alright.

Back