Things that drive you nuts!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're trying to control a few toddlers, they're a lifesaver - literally. No reason for anyone to abuse these.

I agree that they are helpful and I agree that it’s bloody ignorant to park in them if you don’t have small children with you but it’s a touch melodramatic to say they are a life saver.
I wouldn’t put them on par with spaced for disabled people.

I agree that they are helpful and I agree that it’s bloody ignorant to park in them if you don’t have small children with you but it’s a touch melodramatic to say they are a life saver.
I wouldn’t put them on par with spaced for disabled people.

To be honest, if they're right up at the door of the supermarket I don't always blame other people for parking in them. If it's absolutely bucketing down and several of those spaces are free people are not going to get absolutely drowned parking further away just in case a few parents with kids all suddenly arrive at the same time needing these spaces. Likewise if you're temporarily a bit incapacitated (bad back, recovering from surgery etc) then a space near the door is as useful to you as to a parent with a child.

To be honest, if they're right up at the door of the supermarket I don't always blame other people for parking in them. If it's absolutely bucketing down and several of those spaces are free people are not going to get absolutely drowned parking further away just in case a few parents with kids all suddenly arrive at the same time needing these spaces. Likewise if you're temporarily a bit incapacitated (bad back, recovering from surgery etc) then a space near the door is as useful to you as to a parent with a child.

I don't think you seem to realise the function of those spots. They are not so parents and their children can get into the supermarket quicker than others. It's so there is less chance of a child being knocked down while walking through a car park.

Why can't people bring an umbrella if it's raining and if someone is suffering from a bad back or whatever then why are they going to walk around a supermarket if walking is a problem.

I don't think you seem to realise the function of those spots. They are not so parents and their children can get into the supermarket quicker than others. It's so there is less chance of a child being knocked down while walking through a car park.

Why can't people bring an umbrella if it's raining and if someone is suffering from a bad back or whatever then why are they going to walk around a supermarket if walking is a problem.
I agree but parents should hold their child's hand in a car park. That way they will be safe.

I'd like a bit more detail here please, what on earth are you jabbering on about?

Jabbering? Now that's borderline , but as the term is anappropriate in this context, I'll let it slide. ;)

The orange on the Irish flag represents the protestant minority. Celtic (and Rangers) have a long history of sectarianism. Not that complicated really.

I'll have to grow a fourth hand by January, so.

I have 4 children but as they weren't all born at the same time the oldest ones are able to hold each other’s hands and/or walk safely through a car park.
If you have 4 children under the age of 5 or 6 then yes, that’s a problem.

Jabbering? Now that's borderline , but as the term is anappropriate in this context, I'll let it slide. ;)

The orange on the Irish flag represents the protestant minority. Celtic (and Rangers) have a long history of sectarianism. Not that complicated really.
I didn't ask you about Rangers. And I know perfectly well what my national flag represents.

You made a lazy, ill-informed generalisation about Celtic supporters. For a group of supporters that travels in such vast numbers, Celtic fans have been praised by the police in cities the length and breadth of Europe, most recently last month in Norwich, where several thousand travelled. They were praised by the police and local papers for their behaviour.

The tricolour (green, white and orange, and not gold, as you seem to suggest) flies proudly above Celtic Park, alongside the Scottish saltire.

Celtic has been a non-sectarian, inclusive club since it's inception, and continues to be just that.

Celtic has been a non-sectarian, inclusive club since it's inception, and continues to be just that.

While I have no doubt that Rangers is far more sectarian it’s a bit of a stretch to suggest that Celtic is inclusive and non-sectarian.
I wouldn’t fancy sitting in the middle of the home support wearing a Rangers top.
By the way, serious question here, why is it pronounced “seltic”?

I didn't ask you about Rangers.

You asked what I was 'jabbering' about, does that somehow preclude me from mentioning Rangers?

You made a lazy, ill-informed generalisation about Celtic supporters.

Are you denying the long, documented history of sectarianism between Celtic and Rangers supporters?

The tricolour (green, white and orange, and not gold, as you seem to suggest)

Where did I say that?

While I have no doubt that Rangers is far more sectarian it’s a bit of a stretch to suggest that Celtic is inclusive and non-sectarian. .
Celtic from it's inception had a deliberate policy of signing players regardless of creed or nationality, unlike Rangers or Hibernian. I would say that makes Celtic inclusive and non sectarian.
I wouldn’t fancy sitting in the middle of the home support wearing a Rangers top.

Why on earth would you want to do that? Would you wear a Bohs jersey in the home section of Tallaght stadium? A City jersey in Old Trafford?

By the way, serious question here, why is it pronounced “seltic”?
Good question! The short answer is that no-one really knows. The name was chosen obviously to hightlight both the Irishness and the Scottishness of the club. An inclusive name was needed to show that the club was not the sole preserve of the Irish people in Glasgow, but the scottish as well. Hence, Keltic.

There is some evidence which suggests that Brother Walfrid (A Marist brother from Sligo, the clubs founder) used the Keltic pronunciation right up until he died. But no one can say for sure how or why the Seltic pronunciation came into being.

You asked what I was 'jabbering' about, does that somehow preclude me from mentioning Rangers?
You labelled Celtic supporters as sectarian. I have no interest in what you think of Rangers.

Are you denying the long, documented history of sectarianism between Celtic and Rangers supporters?
Now you're making a different point entirely. As I said, you labelled Celtic supporters, as a whole, as sectarian towards Protestants. That is what I take issue with.
Where did I say that?

You suggested that Celtic supporters use the term 'green white and gold' instead of 'green white and orange', which is utter nonsense.

Celtic from it's inception had a deliberate policy of signing players regardless of creed or nationality, unlike Rangers or Hibernian. I would say that makes Celtic inclusive and non sectarian.

Why on earth would you want to do that? Would you wear a Bohs jersey in the home section of Tallaght stadium? A City jersey in Old Trafford?

I played GAA at school but as an adult I’ve become a keen rugby supporter. I have sat in the middle of a group of English fans in Twickenham wearing my Ireland top and cheered for my country. I’ve never had a problem. I’ve sat in the idle of a bunch of Munster fans wearing my Leinster top in Thomond Park and never had a problem. The same went when other supporters were sitting amongst Ireland or Leinster supporters. The same goes at GAA matches.
I wouldn’t describe any soccer club as open and inclusive. I’d describe them all as tribal and, to a lesser or greater extent, intolerant. It has nothing to do with passion or support, it’s not excusable.
The risk of violence for expressing your opinion is never acceptable.

Thanks for the info about the "Seltic" Celtic name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back