Thermostatic radiator valves in the bathroom?

landlord

My plumber told me that he would not recommend putting thermostatic radiator valves in a bathroom, because the steam will block them up. Is this true?? thanks....

I think that's total rubbish. The standard valve type can't be "blocked up" as far as I know.

Hi is right, but for the wrong reasons.

The main idea behind it is to allow free flow through at least one radiator if all TRV are off or turned down. Without this the pump would suffer over time.
Since bathrooms are generally cooler than other rooms (tiling), the extra heat is needed.

Another option is to have a by pass between flow and return normally at the cylinder.

TRV should not be fitted on a radiator that shares a room with a room thermostat that controls a zone e.g Hallway.

Does that mean that switching off all rads while running the boiler to heat the cylinder in the summer is a bad idea?

No, Because the water circulates through the coil in the hot water cylinder.

Where a cylinder stat is fitted, I.E a thermostat that controls a motorised valve that stops flow of hot water through coil, a by-pass should be fitted. this by-pass allows the free flow of water if all zones are satisfied.

This is normally the radiator in a bathroom or the flow and return linked at cylinder.

Cylinder stats are rare on older systems.

Useful info, didn't realise that. I have thermo valves on all rads, must make sure to leave one open all the time.

Back