There's plenty of work in the country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter54

Not my words but the words of a now retired high ranking civil servant I had the pleasure in having a conversation with:rolleyes:

He said that he believed the vast majority of unemployed had cash in the hand income at their disposable along with their dole and medical card.

He also said there was no foreign national in this country unemployed.

I am constantly in and out of work and have yet to be asked to work for cash. I'm not foolish enough to believe it doesn't go on but he would have you believe the that the vast majority of unemployed are lining their pockets with a second income.

What a surprise; Public Sector employees think the private sector have it handy just like the private sector think the public sector have it handy!

Not my words but the words of a now retired high ranking civil servant I had the pleasure in having a conversation with:rolleyes:

He said that he believed the vast majority of unemployed had cash in the hand income at their disposable along with their dole and medical card.

I am constantly in and out of work and have yet to be asked to work for cash. I'm not foolish enough to believe it doesn't go on but he would have you believe the that the vast majority of unemployed are lining their pockets with a second income.

What exactly is the purpose of this thread? Some eejit said some ridiculous stuff??

The point has to be made that we still have large numbers of imported non-EU workers, on work permits, doing relatively unskilled jobs e.g. the majority of convenience store and catering workers. Why are we importing unskilled labour when we've 14% unemployment?

I'm not convinced everyone drawing the dole is doing nixers, there may be some, but not everyone.

However the comment on foreign nationals is an interesting one. I've been doing a lot of traveling this week for work, I stopped at 2 hotels for dinner during the week, staff were all foreign, and likewise, passing through Dublin Airport, no one who served me had an Irish accent. Most were Asian. I've never understood why a lot of Irish people wouldn't take a job like that at home but the minute they leave the country, will take any job they can find in Australia or England. Is it because there is little enough incentive for them to take a job at home. If there isn't a foreign national on the dole in this country, good luck to em

The point has to be made that we still have large numbers of imported non-EU workers, on work permits, doing relatively unskilled jobs e.g. the majority of convenience store and catering workers. Why are we importing unskilled labour when we've 14% unemployment?

I don't think new work permits are being issued any more except in very very rare situations. Most of the people on work permits would have come over during the celtic tiger years to do the work the Irish didn't want to do. Many of them now have children going to school in Ireland and have bought houses here. Do you think they should all be sent home because we now want their jobs?

If this retired person had signed on for an 18 month period as I did in recent years he would never have said that " there was no foreign national unemployed " - the variety of languages spoken in that long winding queue was huge.

Are you sure he was high ranking? I sometimes read articles in the paper about 'senior' civil servants or 'important decision makers' and then someone in their Department will tell you they're just a middle manager who got promoted years ago when seniority was still a criteria. Some of them are just supervising a processing area and are not involved in policy at all.

I don't think new work permits are being issued any more except in very very rare situations. Most of the people on work permits would have come over during the celtic tiger years to do the work the Irish didn't want to do. Many of them now have children going to school in Ireland and have bought houses here. Do you think they should all be sent home because we now want their jobs?

Work permits are for temporary workers and most are renewable annually - so they must be still giving them out. We dont have a US style green card system here, so anyone coming to work here on a year to year basis is doing so on the understanding that they will only be here a short number of years and will have to return home. I would find it hard to believe that they would get mortgages to buy homes on temporary low paid work. Most seem too young to have children in school.

Yes, there are a lot of overseas people who are permanently in Ireland - mostly from other EU countries. They should not be confused with the mainly young and single non-EU workers who are only here on temporary short term permits.

Some of those English language schools in Ireland are little more then a back door way to get access to Ireland
They exist on paper.

And the rule that the students cannot work over 20 hours is widely abused

Widely reported, here is one from 2007 so a bit old
http://www.independent.ie/national-...sted-in-visa-factory-schools-probe-44225.html
THE director of a private third-level college was arrested yesterday in a major crackdown on 'visa factory' schools luring foreign students to Ireland.
There are concerns about hundreds, if not thousands, of students paying colleges up to €5,000 in fees and a further €2,000 for documentation for questionable courses.

The Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) Operation Feather targeted at least five private colleges in recent days, because of concerns about bogus schools and possible immigration scams.

In February, a solicitor acting for the college said it had over almost 300 students - from Mauritius, India , China , Bangladesh, South Africa and Croatia.

Immigration officers had been refusing to provide work visas for students until they were satisfied with the information they received from the college.

Some students have received a refund for part of their fees from the college, but others have not. The college is now closed and students have no course, no visa and no work.

Some moughty retiree gave you his opinion on the plight of the unemployed.

So what? It's not like he was presenting government policy.

If he said the earth was flat, would you start a thread on that too?

As a matter of fact this person was involved with policy making.

I thought this was the letting off steam section:rolleyes:

Work permits are for temporary workers and most are renewable annually - so they must be still giving them out. We dont have a US style green card system here, so anyone coming to work here on a year to year basis is doing so on the understanding that they will only be here a short number of years and will have to return home. I would find it hard to believe that they would get mortgages to buy homes on temporary low paid work. Most seem too young to have children in school.

Yes, there are a lot of overseas people who are permanently in Ireland - mostly from other EU countries. They should not be confused with the mainly young and single non-EU workers who are only here on temporary short term permits.

Yes, they are renewing work permits for people who were here before the crash and had put down roots. New ones are only being issued, as I said, on an exceptional basis. And we do have a Green Card system for very highly qualified people in areas where Ireland has a shortage of such expertise.

As a matter of fact this person was involved with policy making.

I thought this was the letting off steam section:rolleyes:

Yes, but that doesn't mean we can't question the point of a thread, or the reliability of the person you're quoting. He sounds like a numpty spouting out rubbish, and I doubt he had a significant role in whatever he did in the civil Service. Like I said before, probably promoted years ago when seniority was a criteria and one of the examples of why it has been abolished now for most promotions.

Did you think of asking him why he didn't fix this up before he retired? Given his high rank, he'd definitely have been able to sort this out, right?

We're losing our way here folks and not for the first time. There is a huge shortage of jobs and the situation will get worse and worse. Even as I type the politicians are informing us through radio interviews that 1000 people per week are emigrating. People dont emigrate for the fun of it.

Add in the amount of people who jumped ship over the last 18 months believing that lump sums were going to be cut through extra taxes. Also, dont forget the amount of people who retired to avail of the enhanced lump-sums and were re-employed the following day (on a temporary basis, of course) doing exactly the same jobs in the same places which translates to Pension-Payment + Part-Time Payment + Lump-Sum for the person who "retired." These people are now far better off and no new job was created.

Please forgive my bad use of English in above.

Also, dont forget the amount of people who retired to avail of the enhanced lump-sums and were re-employed the following day (on a temporary basis, of course) doing exactly the same jobs in the same places which translates to Pension-Payment + Part-Time Payment + Lump-Sum for the person who "retired." These people are now far better off and no new job was created.
Source please where did this happen?

Source please where did this happen?

Wasn't the next day but my mother was offered work in the health service when she took early retirement. She didn't do it but some of her colleagues did. Didn't the same happen with teachers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back