Theres a house being raffled in Co. Waterford for €25 per ticket. T&C's? Legality

Ash 22

Theres a house being raffled in Co. Waterford for 25 euro per ticket. Sounds a fantastic prize for whoever wins. Can anybody do this type of raffle? Details on [broken link removed] I'm looking at terms and conditions no. 22 where it says the promoter reserves the right to amend them at any time, does that seem right?

The Gaming and Lotteries act covers all raffles and if this were a pure raffle it would be in breach of the act BUT the fact that there's a question involved may be a way at getting around that.

I can't see where this draw or the promoter has been granted a lottery licence. The wording in the T&C's is a bit strange as is the blurb e.g. "... a much sort after area ..."

The property prize has a notional value of €1m (no indication of a valuer's name) but the promoter intends to raise €1.4m (€25 x 56,000).

I won't be buying a ticket, and not just because the address is "Cuckoo's Nest". :)

I presume it does'nt matter if somebody has the the answer to the question wrong they're still entered into raffle.

I presume it does'nt matter if somebody has the the answer to the question wrong they're still entered into raffle.

I've read the 'rules' and can't see anything about what happens if the question is answered incorrectly.

Maybe that's where yer man can change the T&C's later on to disqualify entries with wrong answers!

No. 35 is an interesting one:

The Promoter will be entitled to retain up to 45% of the Entry Fees to cover administration and marketing expenditure. The remaining balance following deduction of this sum is "The Prize Fund". The Prize Fund will then be distributed to the winning Entrant.

In Feb 2010 he can decide, having not reached his 56,000 sales to keep 45% of the entry money and raffle the rest off ... and keep the house ....

a nice little earner.

The site makes no mention of/reference to (that I can see) authorised permission or compliance with any lotteries act.

Be interesting what more of the legal eagles will say about this thread.

No. 35 is an interesting one:
The Promoter will be entitled to retain up to 45% of the Entry Fees to cover administration and marketing expenditure. The remaining balance following deduction of this sum is "The Prize Fund". The Prize Fund will then be distributed to the winning Entrant.
In Feb 2010 he can decide, having not reached his 56,000 sales to keep 45% of the entry money and raffle the rest off ... and keep the house ....
a nice little earner.

That certainly is a very interesting point you have there.
We await developments.

It seemed odd that there is only one picture of the house on the website, but
from the FAQ -
Q. So is any one living in the house now?
A. No the house will be finished to a high standard and the lucky winner will be able to move straight in.

So it's not even finished yet, so looks like some of the proceeds will be used to finish it off!

I want to sell my house at the moment so is raffling it a real possibility judging by the t&cs above i'd have nothing to lose..

not this rubbish again

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

I want to sell my house at the moment so is raffling it a real possibility judging by the t&cs above i'd have nothing to lose..

eh, you just need to reduce your asking price.

I see another one going in Co. Kilkenny [broken link removed] where tickets are 99 euro and you must correctly answer an initial question, then at the end 3 tickets are picked out and you must again be successful in a quiz type thing. The quiz seems to be the way around it ok from what I can see.

If you have ever seem those car raffles at the airport, pay €60 and you can win a Aston Martin, you have to do a spot the ball competition to win so it is not lottery or a raffle, it is a "skill based game".
This gets around the need for a lottery licence. I presume the question is asked for the same reason.

Unfortunately i dont know how to highlight references but a colourful person, Barney Curley, i think tried raffling his house and the outcome makes interesting reading.

If you have ever seem those car raffles at the airport, pay €60 and you can win a Aston Martin, you have to do a spot the ball competition to win so it is not lottery or a raffle, it is a "skill based game".
This gets around the need for a lottery licence. I presume the question is asked for the same reason.

+1. Having a silly question gets around the need to have a licence. This is what a lot of those SMS services do too; the dodgy late-night ones, but also the legit ones such as the Late Late Show

What I don't like is where in no.22 it says that the promoter, who is the owner of this house can amend the terms and conditions at any time. Is that the usual situation? Sounds strange to me.

If anyone wants to enter the correct answer to the question is B - 210,600 sqft.

Good luck :)

Back