There are still some nice people in this world!!!

In Tesco car park last week I saw a guy bend down to pick something up and then put it back on the ground. Realising it was a mobile phone, I went and picked it up, it was admittedly old and and battered, moreso having probably recently fallen out of someones pocket but I handed it in.

Himself reckons the first "finder" put it back on the ground because it wasn't worth taking!!

I was out with my young brother on thursday night and while I was busting moves on the dance floor :cool:, I found a new phone. I slipped it in my back pocket with the intention of trying to contact owner when the club finished.

Near the end of the night it rang and a very excited girl was on the other end, I met up with her and her two friends and duly returned the phone to the relieved girl. I got kisses and hugs from all three of them, better than any finders fee;)

I was out with my young brother on thursday night and while I was busting moves on the dance floor :cool:,

I unfortunately look like a pig trying to escape from a sack when I try to bust some moves.

I normally just bust my pants.

Near the end of the night it rang and a very excited girl was on the other end, I met up with her and her two friends and duly returned the phone to the relieved girl. I got kisses and hugs from all three of them, better than any finders fee;)

You got a new phone and gave it away for a few kisses, God you're cheap!:D

I left my phone on the seat beside me on a plane last week and by the time I had realised I was just out the door (not even into the terminal yet) but when I went back someone had stolen it.

My husband got about 500e in cash from his work colleagues on his last day of work before our wedding. It fell out of his pocket later that day while he was in Tallaght. In a panic he went to the garda station in Tallaght to report it missing. The guard on duty asked him how much he had lost and where he thought he lost it. He then took an envelope of cash from behind the desk and said it had been handed in earlier.

As you can imagine he was delighted..........that was nearly 4 years ago now, would like to think that it would still happen.

I unfortunately look like a pig trying to escape from a sack when I try to bust some moves.

I normally just bust my pants.

Nice mental image there.

I still think there are honest people around. I would hope that if I lost something, someone would do their best to get it back to me, as I do.

I'll post it on my blog soon, confessions of a plumber :p

Purple, any chance of a link to that youtube clip, I can't find it anywhere ;)

Not Blowing my own trumpet here but last week....The Student ID card gave me a way to locate the owner http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055484182

Not huge money involved but there was a monthly bus and rail pass and the Purse was rather fethcing would imaging it would go with almost any outfit ;)

Well if you’re going to start that, when I went to an ATM in the BoI at the bottom of Market Street in Sligo (many years ago) I found that there was already a Pass card in the machine. I printed off an advice slip, just to show that I had found the card in the machine, and handed it into the Bank. I got a nice letter from the customer service manager and a poxy BoI calculator)

I found that there was already a Pass card in the machine.

I came across the same scenario. I posted the card in the letter box (it was the same branch) with my name scribbled on a piece of paper. I was in the bank 6 months later I was asked to go to the office. The manager handed me a card from the couple with £20 in it. I was a student at the time and £20 was a fortune.

I found a Rolex watch in the snow in London when I was a student. My glaswegian class-mate insisted we verify if it was a fake or not so we took it to the local shopping mall and an upmarket jeweller. They confirmed it was genuine.

Anyway, good irish catholic that I am, I took it 'round to the old bill who said I could keep it after 'a-year-and-a-day' if nobody claimed it. Waited the requisite time and phoned the cops who told me it had been claimed 2 days after I left it in. Not so much as a 'Thankyou' card from the owner, the tight git!

I often wondered thereafter if one of the cops didn't pocket it since I excitedly told him that XYZ jewellers had declared it the real deal!

Anyway if it happened again I'd do the same.

Why did you check if it was genuine or fake? Surely if you were gonna return it to the rightful owner then it wouldnt matter?!

No....orts girls just studied archaeology and sociology and waited around for a rich husband :p

That’s not fair, it’s like saying that orts guys are just waiting to become teachers and civil servants, maybe aspiring to one day become the financial regulator. ;)

Why did you check if it was genuine or fake? Surely if you were gonna return it to the rightful owner then it wouldnt matter?!

Well, we were a bit curious. You know, if you find a Rolex then chances are it's a fake, right? So why not get it looked at? We were pretty impressed when it was declared real.

We even valued in the shop window! 8k Stg (or something like that) but we never thought about keeping it and that was especially true once we were told it was genuine.

There are still lots of nice people out there.I recently had a bereavement and to be honest, it has made me rethink a lot of stuff about funerals etc. The amount of people who went to a lot of trouble to attend, to send flowers, Mass cards and say lovely things was such a comfort. Also in my job, I am often so pleased with the gratitude of people and their genuine appreciation.

Years ago (many actually) I was thumbing from Cork to the Kingdom of Kerry. I had to make a call from a phone box in a town I went through and, when I was finished, I noticed a woman's purse on the shelf. It had cards, phone numbers and money in it. I called to the local Garda Station, told them the story and left the purse with them. They took my details and off I went. When I got home a few weeks later, there was a letter for me from the woman whose purse it was. She was a journalist and said that she would have coped with the loss of the money and cards but needed the phone numbers badly. And she'd enclosed a tenner for me as a reward which, to a penniless student, was potential liquid gold! About 20 pints of porter at that time if I remember my prices correctly.

I've been on the receiving end of having something returned as well and also showed my gratitude. It's such a relief to have something important returned and it's almost as good to do the good deed and be thanked for it.

Back