Theft of saints heart

oldnick

Although I'm an atheist I can (just about) understand that many people find relief,comfort, whatever, in belief in a god (s).

I also understand that some people like the ceremonial aspect of worship -the sing-songs, clerical garb, drinking wine and eating bits of bread. That's all good fun.

But what's with this worshipping bits of bodies in churches -whether O'Toole's heart in a Proddy church or a Plunketts head in a RC one ?

I never knew that this was happening in 21st century Ireland -and that seemingly intelligent ,educated church leaders from both churches claim to be "devastated" that thefts of these relics are occuring.

Is there anyone reading this who can explain what -to me- is a disgusting custom of chopping off parts of a body and leaving them in churches to be ,what, worshipped ?

When I heard about the theft of this 'heart', it crossed my mind who in their right minds would want it and also why are the organs of deceased people left in churches, it's pretty sick.

At least they weren't taking the mickey . There's probably a preserved one in some church somewhere.

Personally I'm not but I am always bemused why people laugh at, and giggle about, childrens belief in the existence of the Easter Bunny, Santa and the Tooth Fairy and then are absolutely convinced, themselves, of the existence of 'God'. So much so that they will murder others and sacrifice their own lives in the name of 'God'. Dangerous nutters the lot of them

I'll stick with Santa thanks. He doesn't cause trouble in the world and is altogether more amiable and less demanding.

Personally I'm not but I am always bemused why people laugh at, and giggle about, childrens belief in the existence of the Easter Bunny, Santa and the Tooth Fairy and then are absolutely convinced, themselves, of the existence of 'God'. So much so that they will murder others and sacrifice their own lives in the name of 'God'. Dangerous nutters the lot of them

I'll stick with Santa thanks. He doesn't cause trouble in the world and is altogether more amiable and less demanding.

Eh? Who the hell laughs at Children for believing in things like Santa and the Easter Bunny?

In fairness, I think that the main reason these things are retained in churchs/put on display is because they are historic artifacts. If they werent in a church, they'd be in a museum.

i suppose the only thing sadder than someone who belives in something is a person who believes in noting!

i suppose the only thing sadder than someone who belives in something is a person who believes in noting!

Why is either sad?
How can someone believe in nothing?
I don't believe in God, I believe in Science and the beauty of the human mind.

Why are athiests so obsessed with religion?

Good question

Maybe it's like those who are most opposed to racism but can't stop talking about it and see it everywhere

They are right to be opposed but some take it too far and take offense on others behalf, even when nobody is upset

You're not saying they don't exist are you? :eek:

St Peters Drogheda

-and every St Oliver Plunketts Day if you pray hard enough the blessed saint himself will wink at you, glory be to God and all the little angels.

St Peters Drogheda

-and every St Oliver Plunketts Day if you pray hard enough the blessed saint himself will wink at you, glory be to God and all the little angels.

Is that the same as a moving statue?

Is there anyone reading this who can explain what -to me- is a disgusting custom of chopping off parts of a body and leaving them in churches to be ,what, worshipped ?

Im not really sure what your issue is? You will also find body parts and perserved pieces in museums and labs. As well of being of religious interest (in this case) these pieces are usually of anthropolical and historical interest. The world over body parts are perserved and have been for hundreds and hundreds of years even BC (take the mummies for example in ancient egypt). It was wrong to take the piece - the fact that it was from a church is irrelevant.

Kind of in or around the subject here. Religion is a private concern to each individual. Whether you are an athiest, "scientest", Muslim, Christian, Jade, Hindu or whatever, it is your personal belief. You are entitled to your belief or non-belief and how dare anybody condemn your belief.

Back