the value of apr.

Re: Value of APR

crugers, yes someone has made a mistake in their calculation and it's bank of ireland. as i pointed out earlier the monthly repayments should be around 209.50. i pointed this discrepency to them and they responded very quickly admitting that there is a bug in the calculator and they have promised to correct it asap. so you can soon bask in the pleasure of playing with two loan calculators which agree with each other when using the same apr. what mysterious force could be the cause of such a wonderous harmony? cast aside your heretical disbelief and offer up praise and thanks to the standard formula for apr.

the reason calculating apr for credit unions is more difficult is because the usual formula does not have a provision for taking "manditory savings" into account as no other lenders have this requirement. i have offered to apply myself to coming up with a formula if someone will explain how credit union lending policies work. i've asked some basic questions in the other thread and if you would be so kind to answer them, i'll see what i can come up with. i believe the formula you quote may not be correct because there is a suggestion that members are not allowed to reduce your savings as the loan balance decreases. if that is the case, then my formula is wrong.

Hi darag

It's very difficult to get a straight answer from the Credit Unions. In fact, it's quite difficult to get any response from them.

By and large they will tell you that the old formula of £4 of a loan for every £1 of savings is old hat. But then they tell you that you need some level of savings.

My local credit union has not yet responded to me explaining how the interest is calculated. On the reducing principal or on the outstanding balance.

Brendan

Value of APR

Hi darag
I never doubted that if the same APR formula were used consistently the same answer would result across the board. Since it can't take into account the allegedly "onerous", legal requirement, of shares in CU's, it won't work, as is, for CU loans.
Brendan
Credit Union Act 1997 Section 38(1)(a) states:
"...the interest on a loan shall not at any time exceed one per cent per month on the amount of the loan outstanding at that time;..."
As I explained before, a loan in a credit union is the amount borrowed. Interest is charged on that amount only. As you make repayments off the principal the interest is charged on the reduced principal only. Interest is never charged on interest. Interest is charged on the loan amount outstanding since you last made a repayment of principal. So, if you take out a loan of €100 @ 9% interest rate, and only come back 1 year later, you will owe €9 interest and €100 principal. If you took out the loan and stayed away 2 years you would owe €18 interest and €100 principal.
Interest is NOT posted to your account.
Interest on members loans is recognised when payment is received as specified in Section 110 (1)(c) (1) of the Act (i.e. on a cash basis).

BTW How many of the 500+ independent, autonomous credit unions did you contact and how many got back to you?

And, anybody who is knowingly charged more than 12% interest (not 12%APR) can get their money(interest paid) back! Lever Bros eat your heart out!

Whoops - we seem to be drifting away from strictly APR issues, again...

sorry crugers but you claim you never doubted that a consistent apr formula (which is what banks are obliged to use) would lead to the same answer but from the other thread you constantly dismiss the value of the apr calculation. for example:
What is APR? Is it the Annual Percentage Rate? Is it the Actual
Percentage Rate? Is it the be all and end all irrefutable, indisputable,
rock solid reliable ratio that guarantees level comparison? No!
It is a fairly good indicator at best. You just can't work backwards
from a quoted APR and be sure you are correct.
or
Its not that I don't like APR's. They are, as quoted by various lending
institutions, not an exact science.
or
APR. Is it all that it is made up to be? In it's present guise I still
say that it is only an indicator and whether CU's quote it or not, it
can't be used as the bottom line for loan comparison.
or
So APR is a calculation, a type of statistic, and we should all be aware
what can be done with statistics...
i know you have reason for confusion given that the bank of ireland's online calculator was wrong but i really think you're missing a fundamental point regarding apr. it is a totally scientific, irrefutable and basic measure of value when it comes to borrowing. it provides a measure which allows you to work out the total cost of the borrowing given any repayment schedule or amount borrowed. if you have an apr figure, then you know how much it will cost you under all sorts of conditions.

by the way thanks for explaining how interest is calculated for credit union loans. it's certainly different to the way banks calculate it. i'm still interested in whether you are generally obliged to maintain your original level of savings (say 2k on a 10k loan) until the loan is paid off?

Crugers

Thanks for that technical and detailed answer. It does make it more difficult to calculate APR, as the APR would be lower for defaulters who don't pay off their loan until really pressed and it would also be lower for those who pay monthly instead of weekly. While it makes it more difficult,it doesn't make it impossible.

BTW How many of the 500+ independent, autonomous credit unions did you contact and how many got back to you?

I never managed to get a proper explanation/defence of the CU's approach, apart from your posts on Askaboutmoney:

I phoned the then Chief Executive of the League twice and he never returned my call.
I have phoned about 5 individual credit unions and they have all misled me on the true cost of borrowing, with statments such as "We charge 9%, but because it's on a reducing balance, the real cost is 4.5%".
Most recently I emailed my local Credit Union in Sandymount and they emailed me back asking me to phone them. I replied saying that I want it officially in writing.

Please don't think I am too cynical, but I will be only 100% convinced, when I see a detailed CU statement. I will try to get one to see it. I don't know anyone with a CU loan.

Brendan

Value of APR

Hi darag
You quoted me:
Quote#1 “…You just can't work backwards from a quoted APR and be sure you are correct…”
BOI quoted an APR of 9.8% but without the monthly repayments we couldn’t be sure the quoted APR was correct. It wasn’t. But we only proved that by referring to the monthly repayments.
Quote #2 “…They are, as quoted by various lending institutions, not an exact science…”. BOI have admitted the quoted APR was incorrect, I would say that was a good example of inexact science.
Quote #3 “…it can't be used as the bottom line for loan comparison…” As per #1 above. In the absence of details other than a quoted APR figures, can we be sure that the correct APR is, as quoted? No!
Quote #4 “…So APR is a calculation…we should all be aware what can be done…” For one, there can be a miscalculation. Get more information, then and only then can the quoted APR be confirmed as being “…totally scientific…”

I don’t have reason for confusion, I have reason to question. In an ideal world “…a totally scientific, irrefutable and basic measure…” for calculating APR could be relied upon. Welcome to the real world! If you have a CORRECT APR figure then you will know how much it costs. But you will need more that the quoted APR figure to be sure that the quoted APR figure IS correct!

The Credit Union Act 1997 Section 32 (3) allows for withdrawals of savings down to 25% of the outstanding liability and Section 32(4) allows the Registrar to amend that percentage, up or down, if he sees fit to do so.
However the act does not specify how much savings you must have before getting a loan, other than the minimum required to be a full member of a credit union (presently <=IR£10 or as prescribed by the Minister).

Individual Credit Unions (and they are all individual…) will make loans of multiples of savings. Some base the loan limits strictly on a 3:1 or 4:1 or 5:1 etc., ratio of loan:savings. Some use the “ability to repay” scenario, by referring to the members regular savings over a timescale. However, these days, as with mortgage lenders, more credit unions would use household income as a measure of “ability to pay”. There are few hard and fast rules on loan limits that could be considered as being in use “movement wide” other than those specified the Credit Union Act Section 35.

Maybe these and other previously mentioned "features" of credit unions have influenced the lack of a legal requirement to quote a "simple" APR?

hi crugers. your defense of your position is akin to arguing that long multiplication is not an exact method because someone at some stage made a mistake and multiplied 13 by 7 and came up with 81. apr calculations are either right or wrong. the formalae are standard and anyone can check someone else's figures and categorically state whether they are right or wrong.

this is what made it possible to be able to confidently go to bank of ireland and tell them they'd made a mistake. i looked at the site, plugged the figures into a excel using the built in pmt function and "worked backwards" to a monthly payment of 209.50. for example, contains formula to work backwards and forwards from apr to payment amount, etc. of course it is possible to make a mistake when using the formula, but that doesn't mean the formula itself is not trustworthy.

thanks for more details on credit union loans, but my question is pretty specific. if you are given a loan by your union and that loan is backed up by a certain amount of savings, do credit unions generally insist that you NOT reduce your amount of savings until the loan is paid off?

also, i'm fascinated by the way the interest is calculated. brendan raises this point too. if, for example, i borrow 10 grand at an interest rate of 9% intending to pay it off over three years, why would i ever give the credit union a penny of interest until the end? even if i had the 900 quid for the interest due at the end of the first year, i'd be mad to give it to the credit union when i could just put it on deposit somewhere for three years (earning lets say 60 quid interest). at the end of the three years, i could give them the 900 quid but keep the earned interest for myself. this way of calculating interest rewards late payment.

Hi darag
“…your defense of your position is akin to arguing that long multiplication is not an exact method because…”
No! Don’t think so…
It would be like someone telling me that 13 times a certain number equals 81. They maintain it is 7 but I have to work out (1) that they think it is 7, and (2) that it is really 6.230769!
I don’t trust QUOTED APR’s. That’s what I said and I stick to it!
BOI miscalculated and mis-quoted.
QED!
Formulae and Excel calculations, I love, trust and use on a daily basis.

All quoted APR should be checked for accuracy. If the only information given is the loan amount, the QUOTED APR and the term, the accuracy can’t be confirmed because “all charges” must be included. However if they quote their expected monthly repayment then the accuracy of their calculation can be confirmed.

Your question on CU loans may be “…pretty specific…” but with 500+ independent, autonomous credit unions the answer would be no more than an educated guess. To comply with the CU Act they shouldn’t allow withdrawals below 25% of outstanding liability. Whether they do allow withdrawals, at any time when liability exceeds savings, would be a policy decision for the Board of each and every credit union.

As for the last bit I’m afraid I’m lost!
Either I have explained it badly, you’ve missed something or I’m missing something in your logic.
If you took a €10k loan @9% over 3 years making regular monthly repayments you would expect to pay €1387.50 in interest over the 3 years.
If you repaid it in 3 regular annual repayments you would expect to pay €1800 in interest over the 3 years.
If you repaid it in 1 lump sum at the end of three years you would expect to pay €2700 interest.
I just can’t see where it would be cheaper to pay late! Am I missing something?

CU loans are normally repaid weekly, fortnightly or monthly. I have never come across CU loans as in the annual or tri-annual repayment “examples” above, but the interest calculations are hypothetically correct.
It would all depend on the repayment schedule, agreed and signed for. Members who don’t adhere to the agreed repayment schedule would be affecting their credit ratings in the CU, and may find it harder to get their next loan.

Brendan

You wondered if the CU charged interest on

On the reducing principal or on the outstanding balance.

What is the difference?

Slim 8)

Ignore that question. I just read the explanation on the other CU thread. Sorry.

Slim 8)

crudgers, i believe your previous objections to apr were a bit stronger than simply being unable to "trust quoted apr figures" but i think it's pointless getting into an argument about this point. anyone who is interested can check some of your earlier messages and see your very strident claims that apr calculations are not scientific, just a statistic, not a basis for comparing loan value, etc.

i think you missed the point of the long multiplication analogy because you repeat the same argument again. i don't trust long multiplication. when i was in primary school percy hayes made a mistake in his long multiplication homework. qed.

If the only information given is the loan amount, the QUOTED APR and the
term, the accuracy can~Rt be confirmed because ~Sall charges~T must be
included.
i can't make sense of this; maybe you mistyped something? the loan amount, the apr and the term are all completely independent variables. what accuracy are you talking about? and would it be verifyable if all charges were not included?

i'll move back to the other thread to explain the point of the last bit of my message as it relates more to credit unions' interest calculations than to the concept of apr.

Annual Percentage Rate

The problem with the APR is that Minister Pat Rabbitte (for ir was he at the time) allowed 'interest and charges' to be mixed into the one calculation. This makes the calculation difficult to untange and why we get apparent differences with the same payment and interest rates for one isntitution being different to another (apart from them also not knowing how to do it.)

If they had segrated 'interest' to APR; and charges as '€x per quarter' or whatever.. it would have made the thing some what easier to digest.

Dominic

Re: Annual Percentage Rate

But isn't that the whole purpose of the APR, Dominic - to make it easy for the consumer to compare like with like by including ALL charges in the calculation?

Hi darag
I took your advice and revisited all the posts, including my own. On balance the majority of my posts did say “quoted APR”.
While doing the revisiting, you advise to look out for
“… very strident claims that apr calculations are…”:
“…not scientific…” I said “…They are, as quoted by various lending institutions, not an exact science…”
“…just a statistic…” I said “…So APR is a calculation, a type of statistic…” So it is, a type of mathematically summarised representation of the facts. I went on to say “…and we should be aware what can be done with statistics…”
“…not a basis for comparing loan value…” What I said was “…In it’s present guise I still say it is only an indicator and whether CU’s quote it or not, it can’t be used as the bottom line for loan comparison…” I think there has been widespread agreement that the present method of calculation of APR does not do the biz for CU loans, interest calculations and lending policies. So when trying to compare loans for all institutions, including CU’s, the “standard formula for APR” has its limitations.

“…i think you missed the point of the long multiplication analogy…”
Could be because I didn’t know Percy Hayes and never knew he made the alleged miscalculation! ;)
Tofu can be analogous to beef but it ain’t no fillet steak and to compare the two would be ridiculous. Analogies, like statistics, usually contain the bias of their creator.

You said “… maybe you mistyped something?…”
Hmmmmmm!
A few extracts from your posts!
“…crudgers…”, “…verifyable…”, “…formalae…”, “…defense…”, “…into a excel…”, “…liter…”, “…on advantage of…”, “…discrepency…”, “…manditory…”, “…seemd…”, “…sharpend…”, “…acount…”, “…minumum…”, “…balaces…”, “…relevent…”, “…requirment…”, “…errouneous…”, “…disingenious…”, “…caclulators…”
And finally “…can~Rt be confirmed because ~Sall charges~T…”
You say “…i can't make sense of this…” May be your keyboard or regional settings? :lol

The actual quote, misquoted, was “…All quoted APR should be checked for accuracy. If the only information given is the loan amount, the QUOTED APR and the term, the accuracy can’t be confirmed because “all charges” must be included…”
You ask “…what accuracy are you talking about?…” I would have thought it was obvious, from the context, that it was the accuracy of the quoted APR.
BOI don’t seem too pushed to fix the problem with their online calculator since it is still showing the erroneous quotes where, either the APR or repayments are wrong.
AIB seem to have adjusted their calculator to quote just “typical APR” figures. At least with typical APR you know it is dodgy to rely on the accuracy in any one particular situation.
Permanent TSB tend towards the generic by also quoting “typical APR” figures. On their web page [broken link removed] they quote that loans for “…New cars over € 9,000:- Typical APR 6.9%; Used cars and new cars under € 9,000:- Typical APR 7.9%; Purchase Instalment Fee of € 1…”. However, proceed a further few link clicks and on their web page [broken link removed] they quote that loans for “…New cars over € 9,000: - Typical APR 7.9%; Used cars and new cars under € 9,000: - Typical APR 8.9%; Purchase Instalment Fee of € 1…”

As for the last bit of your post, I too moved back to the Cost of Credit Union borrowing to reply.

crugers, you'll have to give me a bit of time as i devote myself to the task of compiling a list of your spelling mistakes in response. i know this is a waste of time but since it doesn't require that much effort i'll restate; the reason i asked whether you mistyped something is because your claim, like many of the rest of your statements, made no logical sense. i picked this claim because it is such an obvious non-sequitor. given the loan amount, the apr and the term, you cannot verify anything but this fact has nothing to do with whether charges are included or not. those three aspects of a loan are independent of each other and all can vary indepdently. to be honest, this has become a pissing contest and i've lost interest.

dominic, if it was pat rabbitte, it wasn't some novelty on his part to include all the charges into the apr figure. that's the way it's done everywhere else in the world and for good reason. institutions would be able to quote all sorts of rates by hiding the costs of the loan in charges. how would you be able to compare for value a loan at a 9.5% rate with 12 euro a month in charges with a loan at 8.9% with 20 euro a quarter charges? the attraction of apr figures for consumers is that they provide you with a single figure which represents the cost of credit.

Apr- complexity

Of course the idea was that the APR was to make 'interest rates' comparable. Once you lump in charges the calculations are impossible to untangle. I think people could see charges of €10 per quarter as clear in itself; separate to the APR. The APR then would be compatable as to interest, which was all it was supposed to do.

Its better having it the way it is than having nothing.

Dominic

Re: Apr- complexity

I disagree. There is no value to the consumer in making interest rates comparable, without taking into account all charges and fees. While a charge of €10 per quarter may be clear in itself, the real question is how does a charge of €10 per quarter compare to an additional 0.05% on the interest rate. Without an APR which takes all such charges into account, the consumer has little hope of getting the best value.

Hi darag
To be honest darag I took it that you were just trying to wind me up! And to save you the time I had gone over my posts too! “…difinitive, facination, skeptisism. benfit, installments., regularily, arkward…” We’re all, human.

However, to use the [broken link removed] in the Consumer Credit Act 1995, and solve for “i”, you are required, as I read it, to have the following details:
the loan amount, and the repayment schedule by amount and by time, and the amount of charges, and since the equation is to be solved by “…, by successive approximations…” it is useful to have the quoted APR just to save time.
The examples given in the Act demonstrate that to solve the equation, when charges are involved, you are required to deduct the charges from the loan amount i.e. a loan of €1000 which incurs an administration fee of €50 is, in effect, a loan of €950.

You have said that you could use Excel formula but I have compared results for both Excel and the CC Act formula and there are differences. Some small, some bigger than others. Depending on the loan size the result to the consumer could significantly effect their “values”.

BTW I gave up pissing for lent……I’m pissing for height now!:lol

Dominic

I don’t think we can blame Pat alone for the decisions of the EU for it was their directive that gave us the APR formula.
Reading the Consumer Credit Act 1995, it is obvious that the formula we now have, was not in use across the board even within the EU.

“…COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 87/102/EEC AND COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 90/88/EEC: PART I: COUNCIL DIRECTIVE of 22 December 1986 for the approximation of the laws, regulations and administrative provisions of the Member States concerning consumer credit
Whereas, not later than 1 January 1995, the Commission should present to the Council a report concerning the operation of this Directive,
HAS ADOPTED THIS DIRECTIVE
Article 5: By way of derogation from Articles 3 and 4 (2), and pending a decision on the introduction of a Community method or methods of calculating the annual percentage rate of charge, those Member States which, at the time of notification of this Directive, do not require the annual percentage rate of charge to be shown or which do not have an established method for its calculation, shall at least require the total cost of the credit to the consumer to be indicated…”

And

“…COUNCIL DIRECTIVE of 22 February 1990 amending Directive 87/102/EEC for the approximation of the laws, regulations and administrative provisions of the Member States concerning consumer credit (90/88/EEC)
Whereas Article 5 of Council Directive 87/102/EEC(4) provides for the introduction of a Community method or methods of calculating the annual percentage rate of lcharge for consumer credit;
Whereas it is desirable, in order to promote the establishment and functioning the internal market and to ensure that consumers benefit from a high level of protection, that one method of calculating the said annual percentage rate of charge should be used throughout the Community;
Whereas it is desirable, with a view to introducing such a method and in accordance with the definition of the total cost of credit to the consumer, to draw up a single mathematical formula for calculating the annual percentage rate of charge and for determining credit cost items to be used in the calculation by indicating those costs which must not be taken into account;
Whereas, during a traditional period, Member States which prior to the date of notification of this Directive, apply laws which permit the use of another mathematical formula for calculating the annual percentage rate of charge may continue to apply such laws;
Whereas, before expiry of the transitional period and in the light of experience, the Council will, on the basis of a proposal from the Commission, take a decision which will make it possible to apply a single Community mathematical formula;
Whereas it is desirable, whenever necessary, to adopt certain hypotheses for calculating the annual percentage rate of charge;
HAS ADOPTED THIS DIRECTIVE:
Article 1
Directive 87/102/EEC is hereby amended as follows:
1. In Article 1 (2), points (d) and (e) shall be replaced by the following:
'( d ) "total cost of the credit to the consumer" means all the costs, including interest and other charges, which the consumer has to pay for the credit.';
'( e ) "annual percentage rate of charge" means the total cost of the credit to the consumer, expressed as an annual percentage of the amount of the credit granted and calculated in accordance with Article 1a'.
2. The following Article shall be inserted:
'Article 1a
1. ( a ) The annual percentage rate of charge, which shall be that equivalent, on an annual basis, to the present value of all commitments (loans, repayments and charges), future or existing, agreed by the creditor and the borrower, shall be calculated in accordance with the mathematical formula set out in Annex II.
( b ) Four examples of the method of calculation are given in Annex III, by way of illustration….”

The formula in Annex II won’t copy and paste so you’ll have to follow the [broken link removed].

Rainyday
The APR formula, as laid out in the Consumer Credit Act 1995, if it can be applied across ALL financial institutions will provide a valuable basis for “equal” comparison.
To date, no one has been able to interpret/define the CU policy of requiring savings in a way that could be applied within the ACT’s APR formula.
I’m concerned that in my previous examples of interest paid on a €10k CU loan over 3 years (see Cost of CU borrowing 3/4/04), Brendan has worked out that despite the fact that interest paid on the loan by weekly instalments is less than the interest paid on monthly instalments, that the APR works out highest for weekly! There is an anomaly there somewhere!

Apr- complexity

Folks:

When this was originally brought into CCA it was designed to cover the following type of abuse:

Borrow €1000 over three years at 6%.
Total: €1000 x 6% x 3 = €1180 which for 36 months is €32.77.

The APR on this using that nice formula is to get the Internal Rate Of Return by solving for 'i'. So we get 11% or what ever the exact figure is.

When periodic charges unrelated to the loan amount are thrown in ..the formula handles them fine .. but the result is just a % and you cannot untangle it.

Whereas in a 'vanilla' loan ..you can tell how the institution capitalises interest e.g monthly, quarterly or annually.

My point was to render 'interest' to APR;
Highlight periodic charges separately ;
Together you get the total picture.

Take a look at the absurd situation on Current Account Overdrafts .. and you will realise the mess.

Dominic

Re: Value of quoted APR

IFSRA just published their latest survey results on the cost of personal loans.
[broken link removed]

How about a quiz based on the published results?

Q(1) Which is best value (cheaper):
AIB Variable €2k loan @ APR 9.8%, or
Premier Direct Variable €2k @ APR 9.6%
A(1) AIB @ APR 9.8%

Q(2) Which is best value (cheaper):
AIB Fixed €2k loan @ APR 10.90%, or
BOI Fixed €2k loan @ APR 10.90%
A(2) AIB @ APR 10.90%

Q(3) Which is best value (cheaper):
Tesco €6k @ APR 8.90%, or
NIB €6k @ APR 8.90%
Hint:
Tesco was also the cheapest for a €6000 loan to be repaid over a three year term. IT 15/09/04
A(3) Tesco

Q(4) Which has the lower APR on a €10k loan:
ACC 60 x €209.64 per month and set up fee of €63.49, or
AIB 60 x €208.35 per month and no set up fee.
A(4) ACC @ APR 9.5% (beats AIB @ APR 9.8%)

IFSRA say
Total cost of credit...It is the best way of comparing different loans....

Shouldn't we be able to rely on APR?

Back