The truly shocking cost of State pensions

No you don't!

A quote from an insurance company includes their profit margin.

The State is a "not for profit" entity, so the real cost of providing a public sector pension is the annuity quote less the insurance company's profit margin.

So quoting the annuity quote is utterly misleading.

Not sure why you're quoting me and disagreeing with me, as we seem to be in agreement!

It might be your turn of phrase but it's not utterly misleading - it gives a fairly good indication of the cost but does needs to be adjusted for the profit as we all agree.

That is still an actuarial calculation though

Any idea what kind of margin they operate at?? I'd be very surprised if they don't err very much on the side of caution (i.e. Profit)...

If the fund requirement per the IT article is 1.5m and the annuity provider have as little as a 30% margin, then the actual cost is 1.15m...

Any idea what kind of margin they operate at?? I'd be very surprised if they don't err very much on the side of caution (i.e. Profit)...

If the fund requirement per the IT article is 1.5m and the annuity provider have as little as a 30% margin, then the actual cost is 1.15m...

It wouldn't be any where near that but I couldn't give you a current figure for profit margin.

You are not expressing concern in your OP (and again see my earlier comments re standards, discussion etc) or anywhere that I've noticed since, about the cost of annuities.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I am very concerned about current annuity rates. I'm sure that anybody that is currently saving to provide for their retirement is (or at least should be) similarly concerned.

I am also very concerned about the sustainability of the State's unfunded pension liabilities.

The two issues are not unrelated.

Hope that clears things up.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I am very concerned about current annuity rates. I'm sure that anybody that is currently saving to provide for their retirement is (or at least should be) similarly concerned

Why are you concerned if you're (presumably) going down the ARF route?

The margin is circa 20%.

I think you will have to give us a link for that and explain what you mean by "profit margin" in this context.

Life assurance companies normally express their profitability in terms of embedded value - is that what you're talking about?

Ok, so you're talking about targeted underwriting margin in the UK annuity market from a time when purchasing an annuity was compulsory in that market. It hardly follows that that is reflective of the Irish annuity market.

In any event, even a 20% underwriting margin wouldn't bridge the gap between the escalation rate of PS pensions and cost of living increases of an annuity.

Ok, so you're talking about targeted underwriting margin in the UK annuity market from a time when purchasing an annuity was compulsory in that market. It hardly follows that that is reflective of the Irish annuity market.

In any event, even a 20% underwriting margin wouldn't bridge the gap between the escalation rate of PS pensions and cost of living increases of an annuity.

Are you ever wrong, Sarenco?

Standard Life confirmed that their margin on annuities was 19%.

But that's not enough for you...

Are you ever wrong, Sarenco?

Yes, all the time!

Regardless, you can't take a margin rate from what was effectively a captive market before the recent UK pension reforms and assume that margin is representative of the Irish market.

But even if you do assume that it is representative it still doesn't demonstrate that an annuity is not a close, if imperfect, proxy for the cost of a public sector pension for the reasons already stated.

Presumably this will cause certain posters to at least reflect a little - but, honestly, who knows?

Regarding Gordon's link to the Telegraph, I think we should never again refer to newspaper articles that mention annuities. This was attempted, in good faith, 191 posts ago. And it's a very dangerous thing to do.

In any event, the annuity profit margin was just another silly tangent in this thread (read: would you want to buy an annuity from a company that was not making a profit?). The gist of the now infamous original article is that if an individual was to try replicate the income stream in the market (via an annuity), it would cost a fortune. Any profit margin within the annuity is simple part of the cost to the individual.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but could you explain the above in plain English for me? What is the escalation rate of PS pensions mean?

Edit: I think I should understand what it means, but in circumstances where there has been no escalation in nearly a decade in individual PS pensions, I'm wondering if I'm missing something...

Any profit margin within the annuity is simple part of the cost to the individual.

Of course that's quite true. I suppose you could get really silly and start factoring in the cost of framing, administering and enforcing our tax code into the cost of providing State pensions. But that would clearly be ridiculous - wouldn't it?

Of course that's quite true. I suppose you could get really silly and start factoring in the cost of framing, administering and enforcing our tax code into the cost of providing State pensions. But that would clearly be ridiculous - wouldn't it?

Not ridiculous at all, IF you can establish that there is a marginal cost in that area due to State pensions, and IF you can reliably quantify that additional cost... does your gut suggest it exists and/or it's material...?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but could you explain the above in plain English for me? What is the escalation rate of PS pensions mean?

Apologies for the jargon. It simply means that PS pensions rise in line with the salaries of serving PS staff members as opposed to increases in the cost of living.

The Department of Public Expenditure estimated a couple of years ago that it would shave €16 billion off the PS pension bill by limiting future increases to increases in the cost of living.

Not ridiculous at all, IF you can establish that there is a marginal cost in that area due to State pensions, and IF you can reliably quantify that additional cost... does your gut suggest it exists and/or it's material...?

Well the costs clearly exist. The good folk in the Oireachtas, Department of Finance, Revenue Commissioners and Courts all draw salaries (and pensions!), occupy office space, etc.

Can I reliably quantify the cost? No more than I can reliably quantify the future profits of life assurance companies.

Either way, I don't believe it's in any way material to what we're discussing. To be honest, I was being facetious in making the point.

Well the costs clearly exist. The good folk in the Oireachtas, Department of Finance, Revenue Commissioners and Courts all draw salaries (and pensions!), occupy office space, etc..

They sure do, and they still would even if the scheme didn't exist or was different, hence my reference to the MARGINAL cost - but since you've admitted you were only being a smart This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language referring to it we may travel no further down this particular cul de sac...

Apologies for the jargon. It simply means that PS pensions rise in line with the salaries of serving PS staff members as opposed to increases in the cost of living.

The Department of Public Expenditure estimated a couple of years ago that it would shave €16 billion off the PS pension bill by limiting future increases to increases in the cost of living.

I had a raised that point with colleagues one day last week actually, where I said I couldn't understand why PS pensioners get to benefit from pay agreements entered into by current staff in return for increased productivity / efficiency etc... when they weren't required to deliver said productivity / efficiency. Pensions absolutely should only rise in line with inflation.

Needless to say the 63 year old at the table shifted around uncomfortably in his chair without saying anything...!

Can somebody clarify for me how much PRSI a pre 95er pays on €48k, would i be right in thinking its .9% ??

Back