The Sunday Independent

O

OhPinchy

...is it really a tabloid?

Personally I think its rubbish and its a poorly disguised Hello magazine on a Sunday. EVERY week the front page seems to have an attractive female on the front....not just to titillate the males, but aslo to catch the eye of fashion-conscious females.

The news it prints is often very tabloid in nature and I think that the paper is on a one way path down the slippery slope it began descending with the advent of the infamous 03 team. Not happy with allowing these amateurs publish a year's worth of junior cert level essays, the paper has now given several of them columns which are quite laughable. I've stopped buying it as a result and when I ask people why they buy it they often admit its out of habit and think about buying alternatives.

So what say the people...should it just come out of the closet and admit that it really is a tabloid...surely the red top wouldn't clash that badly with the models' outfits?

I love the quizword

I love the quizword on the second last page of the sports section. It's the first thing I open on a Sunday morning. If it wasn't for that I'd have stopped buying it last year.

Re: I love the quizword

It's a rag. Anyone with a brain can see that.

I'm a fan of the daily Irish Independent but the Sunday Indo is frightfully bad. The journalists write about themselves and don't seem to realise nobody gives a damn about them or their escapades. They also seem obsessed with rival publishing houses, especially Ireland on Sunday, The Phoenix, and The Irish Times

Having said that the Irish Times Magazine has gone down the tubes as well.

The sports section is a rag as well.

It's an extension of the "who will we shaft this week" practice that pervades the main body opf the paper.

Agree that the daily indo is far more balanced.

Sindo...

And if I see another picture of Karla Bloody Elliot and a geriatric millionaire...

Or have to read how Olivia Treacy is taking LA by storm...

And Barry Egan brown-nosing Ronan Keating/the Corrs...

Funny how they didn't report Dr Robin O'Reilly's dangerous driving case - 'worst case' the judge had ever seen...

Only read it for Gene Kerrigan and Shane Ross...

But aren't all Indo journalists fatally compromised by having to look over their shoulder towards AJF and his interests?

Noticed as well that a lot of their articles are taken from the UK Telegraph (or Torygraph as it's known there).

Never mind their attempted defence of Conor Cruise O'Brien re income tax 'misunderstandings'...

t

Re: Sindo...

They also seem obsessed with rival publishing houses

The pot calling ther kettle black, perhaps, as this is at least the third "The Sindo...is a tabloid/comic/rag" thread that I recall in recent months!

If you dont like it, dont buy it

great attitude Tommy! As I said I don't buy it....but the logical conclusion of your argument when applied to other threads covered here, say Fianna Fail and the elections for example, would be "if you don't like them don't vote for them"....doesn't exacty tie into the ethos of a discussion forum in my book.

I did a google search before I posted the question and didn't get any matches so felt it was ok to post it. I'm interested in hearing what people have to say on this, so rather than stifle the discussion, if the thread doesn't interest you, you might allow those who it does interest to partake.

Thumbs down for Sindo here too

Debating the sinking of the Sindo is important-if only because for some of us on board it used to be a very important part of Sunday.

And now it`s not.

Unfortunately, since the demise of the Sunday Press it hasn`t really even rivalled too successfully by any Irish Sunday newspaper offering. Ireland on Sunday at least has had the honesty to go admit it belonged to the tabloid market and dress appropriately(ie remove the broad sheet!)

But the Tribune too has gone for the `sex sells` approach on it`s magazine and has very little of interest in comparison to the English Sunday papers.

The Sindo meanwhile seems to be attempting to appeal to all-broadsheet format with tabloid hacks. I quietly celebrated the demise of the 03 girls, however, by indulging in subsequent issues of Sindo only to discover that they`d reemerged like a six headed Hydra all over the paper spouting even more purile nonsense.

Best bet for a weekend paper is the Saturday Telegraph. It`s 1 Euro and will keep you entertained all week.

Buy the Saturday indo if you need the week`s TV.
And forget about Sunday papers altogether.

Cliona

Re: The Sunday Tribune

I used to like the Sunday Tribune, but the quality of the pictures really irritates me. They are always blurred. And, the print quality is not much better.

This week's edition has to be the worst ever in terms of picture quality.

I don't like the magazine either. I rarely bother to read it. My advice would be to get rid of the magazine and improve the print quality of the paper.

Marion :hat

UK

The demise of the Irish press can be highlighted by the rapid rise of UK based papaers who can produce better
products with many innovations within the package.

The S I has started issuing CD's , extrat booklets and mags , this is something that was commonplace in the UK and here with the Daily Mail , Express and the Sun.

I think a crime commited on the public has to be the Sunday World , an ill fallen rag , cheap and tatty stories
with plenty of Boobies.

I would stick with the Times ....but i would really like a good Irish Sunday Paper.

Re: UK

I think a crime commited on the public has to be the Sunday World , an ill fallen rag , cheap and tatty stories
with plenty of Boobies.

A crime?
Does it claim to be a high brow newspaper for the financially minded individual? If it does then I missed that one.

Re

Sorry Piggy missing your point, high brow financial paper? Are you referring to the Times? Sorry I have offended your Sunday Paper, if it helps I like a breakfast roll as much as the next man.

Re: Re

with plenty of Boobies.

No Siddo...I don't buy any paper on a sunday. Surprisingly enough you don't have to buy something to have an opinion on it.

What I'm asking is does the Sunday World sell itself as anything else other than a tabloid? You say it's a crime. Why?

The argument against the Independent is a reasonable one, as it used to be a quality paper at one time. The Sunday World is a tabloid. It's supposed to be a taty rag full of boobies. That's what I'd imagine people buy it for!!

ah but the Tribune has the one and only Ross O'Carroll Kelly - worth the €2 for that alone!! :)

Re

Piggy Quote "Surprisingly enough you don't have to buy something to have an opinion on it."

So Piggy you actually can evaluate a conspectus on a newspaper or anything else by not actually purchasing it?

Interesting paradigm.......

The Sunday World is a rag , no doubt , its a crime on society as it publishes a good deal of filth , contacts/telephone numbers for filth....newspapers should be informative not a debasement on society

So Piggy you actually can evaluate a conspectus on a newspaper or anything else by not actually purchasing it?

Of course this is true. We are all entitled to have opinions. There is no law to say we must go around all the time re-evaluating our opinions or checking, for the sake of certainty, that our opinions are still valid.

For example I decided some time ago that I don't like the News of the World. For that reason, I don't buy it. Maybe the NOTW has changed beyond all recognition in the meantime but I'm not in any way motivated to spend money and time buying it to see if it is now better or worse. Surely that is my right? Do I have to buy Asian Babes to have an opinion on it as well?

BTW, the Sindo has never claimed to be a quality newspaper, at least not in my time. The philosophy of the Sindo over the past 20 years or so since Aengus Fanning became editor is to maximise its entertainment value by attempting to appeal to a broad cross-section of Irish society. Fanning's strategy has been explicitly based on the model of the Late Late Show - put together a mix of items that will each appeal to different sectors and target markets. By doing so, you may well infuriate people, but if everyone can find something in the Sindo that appeals to them, this will maximise its popularity at a level that is otherwise impossible to achieve.

Re

Now you are what is commonly known as mincing your words. For the purpose of Piggy logic lets rename the debate to "The debate for people who sometimes, might pick up the Sunday Indo in a Coffee shop or Barber shop or happenchance the paper on the net" debate.

Piggy"That's your opinion. No doubt all the people who buy the paper would disagree with you. I'm not going to take a stand on the morality or lack of of the paper. I'd merely point out that stating that the Sunday World is a "crime on society" is a little over the top in my opinion."

Piggy will you correct your contradictions here , how can you not take a stand and then offer opinion?.

Also will you quit the generalisms , "all the people" and "all tabloids". The Daily Mail and the Express are considered tabloid however they have shaped and influenced a great deal of policy in the UK.

stick to what you know

Now you are what is commonly known as mincing your words. For the purpose of Piggy logic lets rename the debate to "The debate for people who sometimes, might pick up the Sunday Indo in a Coffee shop or Barber shop or happenchance the paper on the net" debate

Siddo...I fear this is in danger of degenerating into a useless debate if you don't read what I have been saying.

Let me be as clear as I can.
- This debate started off about the SIndo.
- You said the Sunday World was a "crime on society".
- I asked you why?
- Then you tackled me on being a regular reader of the paper.
- I clarified that I have 'read' the paper (ie the Sunday World) on many occasions, while not being a regular buyer.

Piggy will you correct your contradictions here , how can you not take a stand and then offer opinion?.

Siddo...let me be very clear again. What I am NOT offering an opinion on is the morality or lack of of the Sunday World.

This post was about the SIndo...not the Sunday World. While I understand that posts often take tangental jumps to other topics I wondered why you'd brought it up and why you felt that the paper was a "crime"?

Also will you quit the generalisms , "all the people" and "all tabloids". The Daily Mail and the Express are considered tabloid however they have shaped and influenced a great deal of policy in the UK

By "all the people" I was referring to those people who regularly buy the Sunday World. Logic would naturally dictate that those people would NOT agree with you...obviously.
I was also not referring to UK tabloids. Only Irish ones.

Please read what I'm saying before jumping all over the place.

stick to what you know

Are you in the newspaper industry? Then what makes you think you know more about it than I do?
I have two close relations working in the Irish newspaper industry. Together they have over 35 years experience. I also have one distant relation who is working as a leading Irish newspaper journalist for the past twenty years. None of my relations work for/ or have ever worked for the Sunday World and I have no affiliation with them.

Re

Piggy "Siddo...I fear this is in danger of degenerating into a useless debate if you don't read what I have been saying." as you have proved reading and understanding what you have read are very different ,best of luck.

You do not have to be in the business for a feel on what’s good for the press, I hate this old chestnut argument, "I know someone who works there so hey you know nothing".

The Sindo has never set a trail, they simply have copied format after format from other papers, only after they have taken market share. I am also sure that union relations hinder the creativity and effectiveness of its publishing house, its global sports coverage is very lame, most of the news and debate is old hat and they never force hard issues.

Interesting paradigm.......

You supposedly work in the legal profession Siddo, so this shouldn't be that hard for you to figure out. I'm sure you're a smart guy.
I have read the Sunday World on many occasions. I'm sure you understand that there are many occasions where you can read something without buying it...barber shop, coffee shop etc...

By your own reasoning you buy the paper regularly then?

...its a crime on society as it publishes a good deal of filth , contacts/telephone numbers for filth....newspapers should be informative not a debasement on society

That's your opinion. No doubt all the people who buy the paper would disagree with you. I'm not going to take a stand on the morality or lack of of the paper. I'd merely point out that stating that the Sunday World is a "crime on society" is a little over the top in my opinion.

All tabloids publish essentially the same stuff. Should we ban them all?

Back