The state should put public servants into an autoenrolment system the same as everyone else

RETIRED2017

How would this work for public sector workers or other members of defined benefit schemes...?
The thought crossed my mind that the government should use auto- enrollment to build up a fund to help pay future public servants seeing public servants pension levy from next year becomes a pension contribution ,

state puts the same amount into the auto-enrollment scheme as a private sector worker

state puts in the same amount into the auto-enrollment scheme as a private sector employer

public sector / private sector contribution the same amount (public servant no longer have to pay the pension levy/that wes converted to pension contribution in2019)

Public servant still has there Defined benefit pension and pays into it as the have all along since the started work,

Fund is used to part pay there defined benefit pension when the time comes to pay out,

I worked in the private sector all of my life paid into a pension which turned out better thal if i had worked in the public service,

I have a daughter working in the public service my biggest fear is her defined benefit pension in law looks good there are no funds to meet it she will be depending on the goodwill of public service and private sector tax payers still working to fund her retires,

There is a very good chance taxpayers will not stay paying PRSI/TAX unless they know there will be funds to pay theres when there time comes,so public servants should be included in auto-enrollment for this reason,

If public servants were included in auto-enrollment same as private sector they would be able to access funds same as private sector if Brendans proposal on house deposit ever sees the light of day,

Last edited:
Back