The RTB does not impose fines or award damages.

facetious

In another post I made a comment about the fines and damages that could be awarded to tenants if a landlord was in breach of the RTAs.
sarenco made a comment:
The RTB does not impose fines or award damages. Its role is simply to resolve disputes between landlords and tenants - either by mediation or adjudication.

I made an analysis of nearly 1500 dispute and tribunal resolutions some years ago (until I lost interest) and although I did not analyse the number of awards made against landlords, there were a large number among which I quote:

Ref: DR114/2009 -The Respondent Landlord shall pay €11,300 to the Applicant Tenant within fourteen days from the date of issue of this Order being damages in the sum of
€10,000 for the illegal eviction and return of tenant's deposit of €1,300.

DR 595/ 2011 - Landlord shall pay the total sum of €2,300.00 the sum of €2,000.00 being damages for the unlawful termination of the tenancy, plus €300.00 damages for the Respondent Landlord’s breach of his obligations under the Act,

TR09/DR741/2009 - Landlord shall pay €7,500 being an unlawful termination in respect of the tenancy for the distress and inconvenience suffered.

TR40/2011/DR752/2010 - The Respondent Landlord shall pay the sum of €2,571.03 to the Appellant Tenants within 14 days of the date of issue of the Order made by the Board, being €2,500 damages in relation to breach by the Respondent Landlord of his obligations to the Appellant Tenants, plus €146.03 ( being the security deposit of €1,300 after offset of €1,153.97 in respect of arrears of rent), less € 75 in relation to wear and tear above normal

And on the other side of the fence:
DR275/2009 - Applicant Landlord is entitled to retain the Respondent Tenant’s security deposit of €520 as damages for the arrears of rent, in respect of the tenancy

DR576/2008 - Notice of Termination dated 28 December 2007, is valid. Tenant shall vacate the dwelling Tenant shall pay €15,865 being arrears of rent totalling €10,865 and €5,000 damages for breach of Tenants obligations

TR188/DR1020/2010 - the Appellant Tenant shall pay the sum of €3,500 to the Respondent Landlord in respect of repairing unauthorised alterations to the dwelling (this is to be off-set against the security deposit of €3,500.00 paid by the Tenants)

Arrears of rent figured as the most frequent award to landlords but landlords seldom get damages for the rent arrears.

Just to be clear, you're establishing that the RTB does in fact award damages, for example, for illegal evictions or termination of tenancies?
But only where a tenant has referred the issue to the RTB?

The real question is where an award is made against the Landlord or the Tennant how many pay up? My guess would be 90% of landlords pay up because they have no option, whereas tenants just do a runner with possibly around 10% paying up. Far more landlords out of pocket. Just my opinion.

For context, I said that the RTB does not award damages in the sense that Courts award damages for breach of contract, negligence, etc and that the distinction may seem theoretical but was important from an enforcement perspective.

The role of the RTB is to resolve landlord/tenant disputes - by mediation or adjudication.

There are legal mechanisms in place whereby an RTB adjudication can be enforced in the Courts. That's not the same thing as saying that an RTB adjudication is equivalent to an award of damages by a Court.

Hopefully that's clear.

Back