The R Word

would you b happy taking a pay freeze? i had to do it for 2 yrs running during hte dot com collapse

I'm pretty sure his dodge the question answer can be interpreted as "no".

The Health Service is the area of the public sector that needs reform. There are more people employed in it that the entire Civil Service, Gardai, Armed forces and education sector combined - shows you how bloated its admin structure is.

However, with over 100,000 people employed in it - thats 1 in 20 of the workforce. Or 1 in 10 households has a HSE funded employee (think about this when walking around your area - count the houses and think how good or health service would be if you had a medical professional every 10 houses rather than an administrator) - the Government does not have the bottle for alienating this proportion of the electorate. Reforming the HSE with a drastic cut in admin numbers would cost them at minimum 10% of votes in the next election and probably a lot more when you consider friends & relatives of these employees would probably also be annoyed with the Government.

Nice rhetoric, but fairly empty and meaningless. To describe spending on hospitals, schools, public transport infrastructure, supports for people with disabilities etc as 'a drain' ignores the vital and essential purpose of these spends.

It was reported today that the HSE has proposed to Government that 1,000 of its management and administrative posts should be axed as part of a voluntary redundancy programme.

Are these 1000 employees vital and essential, or are they an indication of the bloated public sector?

[broken link removed]

im sure you did yeah, i dont believe you told your union that you were ok with a pay freeze. its simple as this, the country is short on money so pay increases should be off the table. like in the private sector if the company is doing badly or short of money then people get laid off and / or a pay freeze. simple math really. you cant pay more out when you have less of it

How dare you question my personal integrity! Jokin don't care if you believe me or not. I am a union rep and have urged restrained at branch level. Listen I aggree with your thinking on this. However I do think those on the average industrial wage need increase in line with inflation, public or private sector.

Smart businesses go a little deeper. Smart businesses seek to continue to retain the best staff, as they know their future sucess depends on these staff.

Difficult to do in a jobs for life environment.

it would kill me not to be motivated at work and have nothing to work towards except my retirement. must be a terrible existence

No thanks, think I'll stay where I am. I don't want to become part of the problem.

Keep making your wigits if thats what gives you fulfilment:).

it would kill me not to be motivated at work and have nothing to work towards except my retirement. must be a terrible existence

The fun and sence of fulfilment there must be in helping multinational companies or irish sme achieve thier bottom line. It must make you proud.:)

The fun and sence of fulfilment there must be in helping multinational companies or irish sme achieve thier bottom line. It must make you proud.:)

No, I get fulfilment in delivering high quality, scalable, resilient, high availability, extensible, robust multi-tiered J2EE solutions to satisfied customers.

television - sorry when i talk about the public sector im talking about admin staff. i have said that in a previous post. you keep referring to doctors, nurses, ambulance staff etc. no one is questioning the work that these people do. these staff should be added to, im sure everyone here agrees with that. stop bringing "your only valid point" in this arguement up over and over. we are all talking about admin staff here

I wonder how many of the admin staff could be replaced by software? A lot I would think...

Back