The public sector, why is it so bad!?!?!

I suppose because that if they're well enough to work, they should be in work.
Probably got a load of sick pay as well.

(This is a senior management public sector job). The point that I was trying to make is that some of us public sector workers care about our jobs,
I don't think that's really in dispute. Who wouldn't love that job? - Are you on more than €50k?

I suppose because that if they're well enough to work, they should be in work.
Probably got a load of sick pay as well.
I disagree. I think it is to be lauded that anyone is that committed and takes their responsibility seriously.

If you want to know details, yes I am. Double it.

I also would love to be well enough to be in work, but having very little of a voice at the moment and needing to be within close proximity of a bathroom doesn't make that possible. Apologies for crudeness. However caring about my job means that I just can't let things go, my staff with no leadership and my colleagues with no support. If that was in the private sector no-one would bat an eyelid, my point being that there are people in the public sectorthat work as hard. And i'm not unusual.

A friend of mine working in a well paid position in the public sector and he told me recently that he is thinking of quitting. I told him he was mad to leave the public sector in the current economic climate but he explained that he was really really bored. He said he does about 4/5 hours work in the whole week because there is so little to do. He says he gets excited when the phone rings or when he gets an email because it means he will have something to do and make the time go faster. He complained to his boss and was reassured on a few occasions that it would get busier soon but that was months ago and he feels his manager is annoyed with him for 'rocking the boat'. He has started coming in late and leaving early (I think he only has to do a 6.5 hour day anyway) and that is not like him. He said it is making him lazy in other aspects of his life.

I think he's nuts - I'd love that job !

If you want to know details, yes I am. Double it.
Any vacancies on the horizon?
I'm sick of working so hard for less than a third of what you're on (in the private sector). With little to no benefits.

Fair play to you.

Any vacancies on the horizon?
I'm sick of working so hard for less than a third of what you're on (in the private sector). With little to no benefits.

Fair play to you.

Like I said earlier, my job was advertised in the Irish Times so anyone could've applied.

I love how this thread has gone from how I should be sacked to fair play!

Any way how is it suddenly from i should be sacked to fair play to me!
Maybe you should re-read the thread. I never suggested you should be sacked. I only posted in response to purple, who queried why Noah thought you should be sacked.

Attention to detail is an important part of my job, which I'd better get back to (until I find something better)

And I didn't say it was you, did I? Attention to detail is an extremely important part of my job too. In fact one of the most important. My comment was simply an observation.

why not be more constructive and ask how to get a better paying job and/or one in the public sector? I actually have a job working for me at about 65k at the moment.

And I ddn't say it was you, did I? Attention to detail is an extremely important part of my job too. In fact one of the most important.
You appear to have edited your post.

As it happens, I am surfing this on my own time and my own broadband. Enjoy work!
I enjoy my job and I'm self-employed (also my own time & broadband). However, working for the public sector just seems far, far more lucrative.

Yeah, i did edit it. Down a bit! Didn't see the point in playing this out in the public arena.
One of my pet hates is public v private jobs as everyone thinks public jobs are not hard.
I didn't think about which I wanted, I just applied for the job I wanted. Which I got. Which I do very well.
I suppose I should add that I came from the private sector, and took my job for the career path rather than the cash.

....Public Sector is a disgrace. Why is this so, why is there such a laid back attitude working for the government and why isnt there management with the skills to shape up the workforce in an office and reduce all this relaxed attitude so stuff gets done, like answering the phones and replying to emails etc.

Such a sweeping generalisation makes little sense. You might as well say everyone in the private sector drives around in a new car, goes on 3 holidays a year and are raking in a pile of money. Actually maybe its because they are on holiday so much thats it so hard to get tradesmen. :)

Theres all types of departments, and agencies, some good some bad. At the end of the day the Govt dictates to the Public sector, so you could say they lead by example. ;)

I've worked in both public and private, both as contractor and employee and I reckon you find all types in both sectors. I will say that the PS seems poorly managed with lots of areas understaffed (for a variety of reasons). add recruitment embargoes, and rates are better in the private sector there are areas that find it hard to attract replacement staff and are constantly backlogged as a result. On top of this the Unions can't see the wood for the tree and really impede progress in a lot of areas.

Heard from a friend of mine over the weekend that one of the smaller Government Departments where she works has just imposed a six month ban on anyone taking holidays even a day off. Tells me it's is due to staff shortages and work overload.

Say there will be a lot of short fuses in that office that the end of that embargo.

Heard from a friend of mine over the weekend that one of the smaller Government Departments where she works has just imposed a six month ban on anyone taking holidays even a day off. Tells me it's is due to staff shortages and work overload.

Say there will be a lot of short fuses in that office that the end of that embargo.

which only encourages staff to go off sick when they need the days off.

Actually forgot to say that I was also told that the person that imposed the ban is taking two weeks off themselves.

RHIP - Rank has its priviledges

You are probably right on the sick leave aspect whether it is needed or not.:D

Is that legal? Sounds unworkable to me in any case. Where I work, blocks of leave must be "booked" at beginning of year and no more than 15-20% of staff can be off on blocks of leave at any given time.

Last edited:
Is that legal? Sounds unworkable to me in any case. Where I work, blocks of leave must be "booked" at beginning of year and no more than 15-20% of staff can be off on blocks of leave at any given time.

I agree - sounds unworkable to me too. While your employer determines the timing of your annual leave, they are obliged to take into consideration your work and personal requirements and should consult you or your union in advance.

I would be surprised if any civil service union agreed to a blanket ban on annual leave for all staff for a 6 month period, especially during the summer period when children are off school or creches are closed and parents may have to take time off. I would be interested to know which Government Department this is.

Also, Government Departments are not open on public holidays, so it is not true to say that staff are not being allowed even one day off!

I have heard of something similar being enforced on workers in a particular regional HSE/hospital administration office, a few years ago. A relative of my own worked there at the time. Basically the staff concerned were led to feel morally culpable for taking holidays, and refusing to work overtime, on the basis that patients would suffer/die if their admin work fell into arrears.

These restrictions were lifted after a year or two, when the staff's patience wore out and they realised that they were being conned. I understood the whole episode to be a matter of a particular supervisor "bullying" extra hours out of staff rather than official HSE policy.

Supposedly my friend was telling me in relation to the smaller Government Dept. that the Unions had got wind of this impending move, met management and agreed that this was not going to happen.

The key union official went on holidays and no sooner was their seat cold that the management went back on their word and brought it in. They also issued all the relevant regulations to show that they could do it (or probably to confuse the issue);)

Back