The page you requested is unavailable...???

• Thread starter underwater pearl
  • Start date
U

underwater pearl

Looking for help from an internet-literate person!:

When using the internet on our home pc, everytime I try to open a webpage I either get the standard "the page you requested is unavailable" response or I can enter the first page of the site but not any further page. I can't log into my email or even open this site. Effectively, the entire internet is "broken".

Using eircom net, standard dial-up line, microsoft internet explorer. Is it a virus or does anyone have any ideas? (Btw, using a computer at college now!) Thanks

Hey Clubman,

I saw that post earlier and I've ran pretty much all of them alerady. (Obviously I wasn't able to access them via that computer so I saved them onto a flash drive and ran them off that). Nothing major showed up, I fixed the minor things but to no avail. Thanks though.

It does sound like you have no good internet connection - when the front page of any site displays, it might well be displaying this from a local cache (a local copy of the page retained on your PC).

What happens when you try to start off your internet connection manually? (Look in My Computer, My Network Places, Network Connections) to find your connection.

Hi Rainyday, thanks for the reply.

I can't check it at the moment, am away from the house using the only working computer I can find! Looked at that connection before though, there didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary with it. Maybe I should just contact eircom. Although, being a student I'm only ever at home at the weekends when the Eircom staff aren't working. Aargghh!

If you get this message for *every* page (except possibly cached pages) you try to access then something fundamental is messed up.

First things first - to access a web page you need to connect to the internet. How does your home machine connect to the internet ? Over dial-up ? If so, then check that the machine is actually dialling and authenticating when you try to access the internet. If it is not, then don't be surprised that you can't access anything.

z

Yep, its dial-up. It dials and authenticates properly (the on-screen message comes up then the "Eircom net is now connected, speed..." bubble at the bottom of the screen appears.

Look for some good suggestion on what could be wrong.

Hi! Had somewhat of a similar problem a couple of months back and thanks to Clubman we (Should i say - he) sorted it. It may be a firewall problem! Have you anti-virus software installed? Check if it has a firewall and disable it for the moment. Then try again. And do as Clubman advised me, use Mozilla Firefox as your browser. Have a look here:

Back