The Old Forge in Lucan

lucylou

Hi
I've just bought a house in the Old forge in Lucan, anyone know it, whats the area like? Seems pretty quiet (i hope!)

Congrats and well done. It's a nice part of Lucan and very close to parks and Superquinn

thanks! Was there a previous prob with flooding in that area? EA has assured us it has been rectified...

That is correct. The litte river, griffen, which is around you, has been rebuilt and futher relief has been made around the river down at Authur Griffeth Park (bad speelling lol).

I don't know if your estate had been effected but I know one person in oldbridge that had been affected.

lucylou said:
Hi
I've just bought a house in the Old forge in Lucan, anyone know it, whats the area like? Seems pretty quiet (i hope!)

Is it not a bit too late to be checking the area after you have bought the house?

Of course I checked the area before, I asked the local garda station, and I know a few people out there, they all said it was fine; I was just looking for some more inside info on the place. I'm assuming your comment wasn't meant in a smart manner, (it just thats the way it sounded)

lucylou said:
Of course I checked the area before, I asked the local garda station, and I know a few people out there, they all said it was fine; I was just looking for some more inside info on the place. I'm assuming your comment wasn't meant in a smart manner, (it just thats the way it sounded)
Hi Lucylou,
I moved into Lucan before xmas, and I really happy with the move. We are now discovering what Lucan has to offer. La Banca restaurant is nice in the village. For a special occassion Becketts in Lexilip is definately worth a visit. Kenny's in the village do good pub grub.
St Catherines park is great for walks. Garden centre and coffee shop on the road to Celbridge is pricey but do good salads, quiches, coffee etc.

thanks lab-rat! Do you have children? I know theres a really nice park near us and I was just wondering about the likes of soccer clubs, swimming clubs if you have any info?? I'm really looking forward to the move now!

Welcome to Lucan Lucylou.
Lucan Sarsfields : http://www.lucansarsfields.ie/ is an excellent GAA club for children and only around the corner from you. Esker Celtic is great for under-age soccer. Griffeen valley park is right beside you and has a great playground ( wish I was 30 years younger) and lovely for a stroll of a spring evening.
My favorite restaurants in the village are la banca, kasturi, annadale.
Miss Wongs, Amber Regent (was outstanding but gone slightly down hill recently) and da vinchis in Leixlip.

Don't forget Donatello's in Maynooth. We went there a couple of years ago on a recommendation from a friend. Nice and laid back. After our meal we sat outside (in the summer) and had sambucka's with the owner free of charge.

jonnyhotspur said:
Welcome to Lucan Lucylou.
Lucan Sarsfields : http://www.lucansarsfields.ie/ is an excellent GAA club for children and only around the corner from you. Esker Celtic is great for under-age soccer. Griffeen valley park is right beside you and has a great playground ( wish I was 30 years younger) and lovely for a stroll of a spring evening.
My favorite restaurants in the village are la banca, kasturi, annadale.
Miss Wongs, Amber Regent (was outstanding but gone slightly down hill recently) and da vinchis in Leixlip.
Hi There,
Thanks for the info on places to eat. Been to Kasturi, I though the food was excellent. I have not heard of Annadale- where is it and what type of food does it serve? Is Miss Wongs that sweet cottage like chinese near McDonalds? I heard that chinese was good?!

I think Annadales is down there under the bridge (beside Micky D's). I went there a couple of years ago and thought the food was awfull. I am not a mad Chineese fan but know a good one from a bad one.

Annadale is the little stone cottage on the old leixlip road ( beside the petrol station). Miss Wongs (my favorite chinese at the moment but others prefer the Annadale) is off the main street in Leixlip.
You'll find that as the two villages are so close that you'll be eating out regularly in Leixlip. I have a friend who raves about the restaurant upstairs in Courtneys pub. Not been there yet.

redo said:
I went there a couple of years ago and thought the food was awfull.
I'm with you on that. It wasn't very nice a few years ago. I have found that quality in chinese restaurants seems to be cyclical (except for Wongs in Dollymount/Ranelagh/Castlenock). I had friends living in Blackrock that used to travel to The Amber Regent in Leixlip 3 years ago. While its still a decent place to eat the food quality is not the same. Depends on the Chef I suppose.

jonnyhotspur said:
Annadale is the little stone cottage on the old leixlip road ( beside the petrol station). Miss Wongs (my favorite chinese at the moment but others prefer the Annadale) is off the main street in Leixlip.
You'll find that as the two villages are so close that you'll be eating out regularly in Leixlip. I have a friend who raves about the restaurant upstairs in Courtneys pub. Not been there yet.

Yes, upstairs in Courtneys is very nice.

lucylou said:

No I wasn't trying to be smart, just pointing out that it's a bit late to be asking what an area is like after you have bought property in the area. Your first post suggests that you bought in Lucan without really knowing the area.

To me that seems a bit foolhardy.

As it turns out, your quite lucky. You bought in a decent part of Lucan close to everything mentioned above.

The quality at the Anadale Restuarant is quite good at the moment. They have a takeaway service as well but it's a little pricey for a takeaway. The chinese restaruant at Finnstown does a decent takeaway at reasonable prices. I'm not sure what the restaurant is like but it always seems to be quiet.

My 6 year old goes to St Thomas's National School (opposite Superquinn). It's run very well and I'd highly reccommend it. I don't know how good the secondary school beside it is.

Just one quick one. I used to live in Oldbridge and unless there have been floods since the floods which happened when I lived there, (I'm pretty sure there haven't) Oldbridge was not affected.

Basically, it was the housing estate next to Griffen Valley Park which was flooded and it was worse on the opposite side of the river to the Newcastle Road - not sure if that's The Old Forge.

Oh, and the walk along the Liffey is very nice. If you park the car opposite the petrol station in the village you can walk down to it from there.

May the Force be with you in the traffic!

Yeah, after posting about Oldbridge, I passed by the area on the wat to the "Lord Lucan" pub. (Nice plaice by the way). I realised that it couldn't have been that Estate. It was probably another estate as mentioned above.

Back