The 'mathepac made me do it' multi-faceted music thread

Caveat

Discuss:

1) English artists are consistently the best in the world by a fairly long shot.

2) country, rap, 'modrin' R&B... with a few exceptions, it's all crap really isnt it?

3) American late 20th century early 21st century 'punk' is horrible anodyne glossy kak (Green day, Blink whassernames etc)

4) Very few bands truly 'rock' anymore - it's all embarrassingly artificial.

5) BBC4 has saved my life.

Discuss:

1) English artists are consistently the best in the world by a fairly long shot. Agreed, Ireland fights above its weight too IMHO.

2) country - some classics plus its a fair chunk of Amerikay so it has a right to life, rap Always found Eminem good , 'modrin' R&B Aye its the s word... with a few exceptions, it's all crap really isnt it?

3) American late 20th century early 21st century 'punk' is horrible anodyne glossy kak (Green day, Blink whassernames etc). I always think of it as "college rock" -most songs sound the same but tolerable

4) Very few bands truly 'rock' anymore - it's all embarrassingly artificial. There a lot of flavour du jour stuff, the underground-cool-embarassingly mainstream-bloated & finished lifecycle appears accelerated, so you go from underground to "so last season" in about 2 years, must be very hard to have a career anymore

5) BBC4 has saved my life. That a radio station then?;)

... 1) English artists are consistently the best in the world by a fairly long shot...
Damien Hirst is first although
Tracey Emin is pants, thankfully
Guggi is Mr. Hewson's pal

... 2) country, rap, 'modrin' R&B... with a few exceptions, it's all crap really isnt it? ...
Yes, wearing cowboy hats (sorry Mr. Hewson), dressing like Mr. T and winning a competition to record as many swear-words as possible over a drum machine keeping time with a sampled phrase from Strawberry Fields Forever just doesn't seem to do it for me in a creative sense.
... 3) American late 20th century early 21st century 'punk' is horrible anodyne glossy kak (Green day, Blink whassernames etc) ...
Yeah, blink and you've missed it; lucky you.
... 4) Very few bands truly 'rock' anymore - it's all embarrassingly artificial...
Yeah I found a recording of Little Wing recorded live by Simon McBride

There's a studio version by the late SRV on the same page.

What do ye think?

... 5) BBC4 has saved my life.
My name is mathepac and I'm a recovering country n' weshtern fan. I used to be playin' Big Tom and the Mainliners 20 times a day on me Sony Walkman in the oul' Zetor tractor and then the missus left BBC4 on wan night she was at an ICA meetin' and it changed my life. Now its Bob Harrison, Tom Pretty and the Heartachers, Later with Jools that Dutch lad and them other boyos, 10 Litres or Pints or CCs or whatever and it saved my life. Thanks BBC4 and thanks for lishening. (Background chorus - "Thanks for sharing"),

Note to mods: I didn't do it, to quote that great rock n' roller, Bart Simpson.

Discuss:

1) English artists are consistently the best in the world by a fairly long shot.
Only really from 1960 - 1979. I may even go as far as saying 1975 is largely when England stopped really rocking. Odd exception like the Smiths saved England on occasion. Rory Gallagher should be in the mix much more than he is on these discussions, especially when guitar legends are discussed.

2) country, rap, 'modrin' R&B... with a few exceptions, it's all crap really isnt it?

Surely this is flaming! Agree on modern R&B, especially when you consider what R&B is supposed to be. But you can always find class in any genre, there's plenty of amazing country albums and artists and rap has its moments with the likes of Public Enemy.

3) American late 20th century early 21st century 'punk' is horrible anodyne glossy kak (Green day, Blink whassernames etc)

That's the MTV generation "punk" try the stuff before that from the 80s, that's my era. That's the era america dominated the underground scene with early REM, Replacements, Black Flag moving onto Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Pixies, and they're just the ones you'll find in HMV.

4) Very few bands truly 'rock' anymore - it's all embarrassingly artificial.

Tell me about it. I know it's just my age, but there is no rock anymore. It needs cahonies, not this H&M generation, I want musicians that when I go to see them, I'm slightly concerned about making eye contact with just in case they turn on me. I don't want a crowd of manicured WKD Blue drinkers where I could take the band, roadies and entire entourage on myself.

A. Frickin. Men. Even when you just record them and knowing that after all this anodyne, androgenous, self pitying (which they can't even do well these days), turgid, daily aural defilement you have the sanctity of a 90 minute Dr Feelgood documentary or whoever else, just waiting for your moment of peace and isolation to sit and watch it without interruption. And the knowledge that in all likelihood your going to be digging out your old records shortly after and making another cd for the car.

Only really from 1960 - 1979. I may even go as far as saying 1975 is largely when England stopped really rocking.

Punk? post punk/new wave? NWOBHM? Pretty much the entire indie scene? C'mon!

And yes, I do agree that Ireland punches above it's weight too.

Surely this is flaming! Agree on modern R&B, especially when you consider what R&B is supposed to be. But you can always find class in any genre, there's plenty of amazing country albums and artists and rap has its moments with the likes of Public Enemy.

Well I did say 'with a few execeptions' :)

That's the MTV generation "punk" try the stuff before that from the 80s, that's my era. That's the era america dominated the underground scene with early REM, Replacements, Black Flag moving onto Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Pixies, and they're just the ones you'll find in HMV.

Try it?! Do you know who you are talking to my friend? I live and breath it!

I'm just flabbergasted at the way they actually call this bouncy shiny clean cut Green Day type stuff "punk". :(

Anyway, glad to see I'm not alone generally. Or maybe I've just found my 40+ comfort zone of grumpy (almost) old men.

Nice links mathepac - and once again I find myself asking, who is this Simon McBride guy?

Punk? post punk/new wave? NWOBHM? Pretty much the entire indie scene? C'mon!

Yeah I stand by that statement. Once it lost the blues influence, it lost its soul, it lost it's rock n roll. Plus by that stage, for me, the influence of the English artists had bred a new generation in the states who were doing much more with it than was happening in the UK.

I'll take the earlier pre-punk of Iggy and the Stooges, MC5, and the of the eraTelevision over much of their UK contemporaries.

Try it?! Do you know who you are talking to my friend? I live and breath it!

I'm just flabbergasted at the way they actually call this bouncy shiny clean cut Green Day type stuff "punk". :(

It's a shame that this is what derrived out a huge undergound scene in the 80s. Even though Green Day started out at the end of that, they were always more pop than hardcore. I still think some bands survived and some of the influence survived into the 90s, just not stuff that hit any major success. Likes of Uncle Tupelo had a great fusion of replacements+REM+Folk.

Discuss:

As a new recruit to BBC4 can I just say a big thank you to Caveat and Mathepac for the heads up - ok maybe wouldn't go quite so far as above but certainly has saved my Friday nights in! :)

On a more positive note, what have you bought from this year that you would recommend?

For me:
The Black Keys - "Brothers"
John Grant - "Queen of Denmark"

Any others with "Made in 2010" printed on the sleeve?

Not yet. May yet be the latest one from Muse - I love the band but don't like what I've heard from the latest one much. Might still get it though as singles are often misleading.

I like Midlake too - who are reasonably current. :(

The new Massive Attack album is quite good (Heligoland) - have only listened a few times but it's growing on me. Caveat I think that Muse album (The Resistance) is from last year no? Or have they another new one since?

The new Massive Attack album is quite good (Heligoland) - have only listened a few times but it's growing on me. Caveat I think that Muse album (The Resistance) is from last year no? Or have they another new one since?

Yeah, you're right - The Resistance was late 2009.

Might check out Massive Attack though to bring me up to date :)

... mathepac, is that Zetor still for sale?
She sure is Doc. The deal includes a tank of diesel, goodish tyres, full service history from Killnascully Motor Engineers & Boarding Kennels, the Walkman and me two Big Tom tapes. The PTO needs work and she sometimes needs a good kick in the hydraulics, but other than that she's in PMO. I'm open to all reasonable offers, for the Zetor that is.

Back