The length of the Term is stalling me.. 32 v 30 years

BusyAtMaths

Hi all,

Would really appreciate your advise. Today I need to choose one of the following mortgage rates. Both rates offer cash back 2% (which I will be use for furniture etc). First Time Buyer.

The length of the Term is stalling me..

1. PTSB 3.2% 3yr Fixed Rate (Term=32 years)
Montly repayments: €1404
After 3 years the Cumulative interest is €31,477

OR

2. BOI 3.0% - 3yr Fixed Rate (Term=30 years)
Montly repayments: €1421
After 3 years the Cumulative interest is €29,392

Option 1 is cheaper by €17 per month. - Couldn't I reduce the term after the initial 3 years if I wanted?
Is Option 2 better in the long term?

Thanks.

Option 2 is better longterm. Cheaper interest rate and shorter term.

Plus I personally don't like PTSB and the way they treat existing customers so would opt for BoI.

If check on some mortgage calculators you will see you will pay about 25k less interest over the full term on option 2 versus option 1.

With the BOI option you will pay €612 more in mortgage payments but save €2085 in cumulative interest over the 3 years, so option 2 for me as well.

Just look at the mortgage rate. Forget all the other calculations over 3 years, 30 years or 32 years.

Bank of Ireland is cheaper. So it's better. It's better short term. It's better mid term and it's better long term.

Option 1 is not cheaper. You are paying more interest so it's more expensive.

But because you are paying less capital, your repayments are lower.

And as Aristotle says, ptsb has treated, and continues to treat, their customers abysmally so you should only deal with them if you have no other option.

Brendan

A resounding NO to Option 1 then.
Yikes!
Many thanks for the responses folks. I suspected as much, but the added feedback about PTSB is very helpful.

Busyatmaths do you mind me asking how you got the 3% rate with boi? Is your ltv lower than 80%? Thanks.

Last edited:
BOI > 80% 3.2% Fixed.
Is it worth considering KBC for their 1 Year Fixed Rate? Then assess things after 1 year, stay or switch to another lender then...
1 Year >80-90% LTV 3.10%
1 Year >80-90% LTV 2.90% (open a KBC current ac)

I also have a current account with PTSB and have no issues with that account.

My issue is with their mortgage offering for existing customers, new customers get offered a much better range of fixed mortgage rates, even their new mortgage payment loyalty program is for new customers only.

Curious, How did/does PTSB treat you badly? I have a current account with PTSB for years and have never had any issues..

I have a current account with them and have no issues with that. My reason for not likely PTSB is in the context of mortgages with the OP is asking about.

Back