The Irishman - contains no Irish men.

odyssey06

Scanning the credits for the Irishman... and no actual Irish appear in the main credits.
Even Robert Kennedy is played by an Englishman.

Is this not cultural appropriation, or something???

I feel an outraged drunken fighting angry mob should be getting worked up about it.
<end rant>

Scanning the credits for the Irishman... and no actual Irish appear in the main credits.

I feel an outraged drunken fighting angry mob should be getting worked up about it.
<end rant>
The Yanks are always at that. In a recent motion picture Mary Queen of Scots was played by a bloody mick!
This post will be deleted if not edited immediately has so frequently been played by white people that most people now think he was actually white.

The worst of all of course is both Batman and Superman being played by Brits.

The Yanks are always at that. In a recent motion picture Mary Queen of Scots was played by a bloody mick!
This post will be deleted if not edited immediately has so frequently been played by white people that most people now think he was actually white.
The worst of all of course is both Batman and Superman being played by Brits.

True. And probably Mary Queen of Scots should have been played by someone French, or at least, French sounding.

I remember Clemence Poesy playing her on British TV a while back.

We had no issue with a load of Irish people playing the armies in Braveheart, I don't believe ET featured any extra terrestrials, nor did Reservoir Dogs feature any dogs? Taxi Driver featuring actual taxi drivers, now that'd be a very different movie! :D

True. And probably Mary Queen of Scots should have been played by someone French, or at least, French sounding.

I remember Clemence Poesy playing her on British TV a while back.
I know. Richard The Lionheart is usually portrayed as English. Crazy stuff.

Because Frank Sheehan was an Irish/American not a literal Irish man, therefore it would not be authentic for an actual Irishman with Irish accent to play it. In mafia slang he would be called "the Irishman" because he wasn't Italian origin, therefore they distinguished him from themselves which was actually a big theme in the movie.
I thought it was a very good, it showed them as bitter old men, a lot deeper than most Hollywood trash,

Because Frank Sheehan was an Irish/American not a literal Irish man, therefore it would not be authentic for an actual Irishman with Irish accent to play it. In mafia slang he would be called "the Irishman" because he wasn't Italian origin, therefore they distinguished him from themselves which was actually a big theme in the movie.
I thought it was a very good, it showed them as bitter old men, a lot deeper than most Hollywood trash,

You are right of course. But I didnt get that from the movie though.

I know it from reading up on the Mafia and the Irish mob.

<end rant>

I was outraged Irishmen were played by men.

As a woman it was offensive to me that women were not given the opportunity to act in the film.

I was outraged Irishmen were played by men.

As a woman it was offensive to me that women were not given the opportunity to act in the film.
I find your assumption that the people you saw as men in the movie were actually men and not trans people and/or not cis-gender. ;)

On a more general note I found it funny that Scorsese criticised Marvel for making the same movie over and over again when that's essentially all he's done for the last 40 years.

On a more general note I found it funny that Scorsese criticised Marvel for making the same movie over and over again when that's essentially all he's done for the last 40 years.
The marvel movies are pure rubbish, maybe it would be more to the point if he just said that. The Irish man was a very good movie in my opinion, it went against the grain of modern Hollywood rubbish, it was very long but it had a moral theme, crime doesn't pay you just end up a bitter old man despised by your own daughter.

The title of this post is:-The Irishman Contains no Irish Men. I know of Irish pubs in Cork that do not employ one Irish person.

Interesting how national identity evolves. Take the UK as an example. You have people ID as English,Scottish and Welsh yet it is clear from history that northern English are very different from southern English. In Ireland too we have people e.g. Cork/Kerry who would be different from Cavan/Monaghan.

Back