The ins and outs of buying a property

I mean if there is a railway station in the next town then i don't mind traveling to that town.

http://www.daft.ie/11598694 a property i came across in Wexford.Its priced at 30,000 euros and is in reasonable condition but still needs refurbishment.I have an extra 3 thousand for furnishings not including my 40 so would that be enough for a property in that condition? What are your opinions on this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The one bit of advice I would give you is to rent a property in the locality for 6 months and see what you think before you commit to buying something

"The property requires refurbishment but has excellent potential and would be a suitable building project for an investor or owner occupier."

If an estate agent says that, you can imagine how much work is needed! The one benefit is the house is small, so shouldn't cost too much to improve a bit so long as it's structurally sound. You'd need to get a builder to look at it though to have any idea. There's no garden. Overall the house is smaller than an apartment - you'd get a modern 2 bed apartment in the town for your budget.

The fire station is directly opposite the front door, although the new station is supposed to start next year.

From New Ross, there's great bus service to both Waterford and Wexford town (public and private) with onward connection to Dublin, either by bus or train.

You could rent an apartment in New Ross for a week quiet cheaply this time of the year, and get a sense of the town.

There's a huge choice of pubs for a town it's size. There's an arts centre in the theatre just around the corner from that house, but I'm not sure what else the town has going for it. It's close to lots of things, but a car would help.

Is this the house, your link above not working...

Link fixed.

I can't see a shower or a bath mentioned in the ad which is an absolute essential amenity but you may be able to install one.

There is a small bathroom (c.0.8m x c.2.4m) listed on the first floor, no pictures so you can assume all fixtures need to be replaced.

Good thing about Wexford, its the sunny south East and not the wild, wet and windy mid west. :)

Just as well with no heating system installed.

Ballpark figure for renovation from scratch would be minimum 30k imo. You could skimp on the plastering and maybe roofing but will pay in the long run. Rewiring, plumbing, flooring, to be considered without even mentioning the actual toilet/cistern/shower and kitchen.

Elcato it says in the add the house needs refurbishment but that doesn't mean it has to be renovated from scratch.It doesn't look too bad to me and the town has everything i need with good transport links to Wexford town and rail link to Dublin via Rosslare Europort.I know a few guys in the plumbing,building and window trade so they would do any work that needed to be done at a discount.As i said before as long as the property and location ticks a few boxes then that will do for me.I would never consider an apartment because there are maintainence fees and i don't think it's fair and you never owned the land only the apartment so the landowner could decide to sell any time they wanted.At least the house will be mine and land if there is any.

Back