The ins and outs of buying a property

Op isn't buying a house in 2014, it'll be 2018 very soon. There are currently 56 semi-detached 3-bed houses advertised on daft in Laois, only 6 are under 100k. Since 2010 the property price index has 254 sold. Only 10 were under 50k and another 32 between 50k-75k. Did you mix up Laois with Cavan or Longford perhaps?

No confusion, it's still one of the cheapest places to buy. Longford, Leitrim, Cavan, Roscommon all in the mix as well. Mayo and Sligo have dipped in as well based on first quarters sales this year.

No confusion, it's still one of the cheapest places to buy. Longford, Leitrim, Cavan, Roscommon all in the mix as well. Mayo and Sligo have dipped in as well based on first quarters sales this year.

An interesting thread. No doubt large swatches of rural Ireland is on the decline. Prices are low because there is no employment so people will gravitate towards the cities.

Irishman you say you don't drive and I don't know if you have mentioned your age but if you are older make sure you go to a town where there is a doctor's surgery and a regional hospital. There is a reason why people move it to the towns and cities when they are older, they want to be near vital services.

Reactions: mf1

Based on what? All I said was I disagreed that Laois was one of the cheapest 3 counties to buy. It's probably not even in the bottom 10 anymore. Average price of a 3-bed semi-detached is over 140k now due to the lack of supply in Dublin which has driven up prices in commuter counties such as Laois. The cheapest are Longford, Roscommon, Mayo, Leitrim, Sligo, Cavan & Donegal

http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/newmarket/kerry-road-newmarket-cork-558333/ this one possibly needs a bit of work but for €25,000 you'd have €15,000 left over to get it to a livable state and you could work away on it from there on as finances allow. Newmarket is a small size town in north County Cork, with a supermarket, shops, pubs, cafe, takeaway,lovely wooded walking/amenity park, etc. It is also less than 30 minutes from Mallow and Charleville which both have rail links to Dublin.

Bronte i never said i wanted to live in a remote area of Ireland,i said i wanted to live in a rural village or a country town with the reason for that being near to the local amenties because i dont drive.That house you showed me on the forum is for sale via auction and i'm steering clear of auctions and i'm not interested in living in a housing estate because i have lived in one all my life so i want a complete change from that.

Firehead,
First thing to do with that "HOUSE" is to hire a Dozer and raz it, then take away the leftovers if you can find a place that allows you dump it, clean up the site and there's your €40k gone. Thing is, you'll be €40k out but you'd own a site. To be honest about it Irishman, you will need to up your budget to aprox €100k and even at that you'll just have sort of what you need. It's easy enough to put up what's on Daft, etc, but there's equally very good reasons why those places won't sell.

Firehead i'm weary of ads that only show the outside of the property because usually the inside is in a terrible condition and besides i dont wanna have a whole lot of work to do to get it habitable again. Noproblem i simply dont have that kind of cash.i

I will keep searching and hopefully get something that will tick at least one or two of the boxes

your only option is an apartment somewhere , otherwise its just a pipe dream , not being able to drive makes living in rural ireland impossible so you need to be in a town with a bus service

There's a property in Ballaghadareen Roscommon on pound street priced at 40,000 euros and it seems to be in reasonable condition.It was Bronte who alerted me to that property.Posters What are your thoughts on Ballaghadareen ?

Bronte i never said i wanted to live in a remote area of Ireland,i said i wanted to live in a rural village or a country town with the reason for that being near to the local amenties because i dont drive.That house you showed me on the forum is for sale via auction and i'm steering clear of auctions and i'm not interested in living in a housing estate because i have lived in one all my life so i want a complete change from that.

So:

Rural
But not remote
Not an estate
But in a town
No auctions
Public transport a must
On a budget of 40K
Semi d ok
Bungalow ok
Cottage ok

Questions:

Any counties we can knock off the options?
Is terraced ok ?

Terraced is ok but not in an estate and has to be in reasonable condition.I would consider any county that has plenty of countryside which is open to the public and with rail transport to Dublin or the nearest rail link to Dublin.

Terraced is ok but not in an estate and has to be in reasonable condition.I would consider any county that has plenty of countryside which is open to the public and with rail transport to Dublin or the nearest rail link to Dublin.

dream on so

Does this mean the town has to have a railway station? Or what does it mean?

Back