The ins and outs of buying a property

Galway_blow_in thats a very nice apartment but its outside my budget and besides i'm steering clear of apartments because of the maintenance fees which to me are a rip off

Judging by all the feedback that i've received there seems to be alot of conflicting opinions.Its confusing me

Judging by all the feedback that i've received there seems to be alot of conflicting opinions.Its confusing me

you wont get a house which is decent within your budget , management fees are often a rip off but a forty thousand euro apartment is likely to be in better shape , a 40 k house is either going to be in the middle of nowhere and in need of repair or in a really bad part of whatever town

Galway_blow_in do a search in daft in Kilkenny for a house under 50,000 euros and you will find a property for sale priced at 40,000 euros.I contacted the estate agent and so far they have received an offer of 37,000 euros.Tell me what you think of that property if you will please.

Galway_blow_in do a search in daft in Kilkenny for a house under 50,000 euros and you will find a property for sale priced at 40,000 euros.I contacted the estate agent and so far they have received an offer of 37,000 euros.Tell me what you think of that property if you will please.

ballyhale kilkenny , id rather live in a motorhome , seriously !

whats wrong with ballyhale? It appears to be a small town with all the amenties i need and nice countryside within walking distance

its barely a village

Indeed, the M9 bypassing it has really done it no favours. It has a pharmacy, a very small petrol station that is also the only shop, 2 pubs (one of which was sold back in August, not sure if it's open) and a take away that looks long closed.

OP, the countryside around there is all private farming land, so you will be limited to wandering the roads. That may be what you're after, but other locations will offer better access to off-road trails. If you expand on the facilities you would like within walking distance that'll help narrow down the options.

Leo how do you know the countryside in ballyhale is all private farmland? Do you know the area well? I would like to live in an area where i can explore the open countryside such as the hills,mountains,forests etc I would also like to visit the nearby villages and towns to what they have to offer in the way of castles,abby ruins,muesums,churches,cafes etc any places of interest and the local countryside in those areas.

I'm originally from Kilkenny. The land around there is all working farms, pasture land, fenced off, and the general public would not be welcome. You can take a look at the satellite imagery on Google maps, that will give you an idea on openness and access of any area you're interested in.

Another good resource is IrishTrails. The Irish Trails Office/ Sport Ireland have mapped many of the open access areas across the country along with details maps and guides. To get true open access with good variety of walking routes, you're looking at areas like the National Parks.

Not sure I'd believe Leo, he also claimed in this thread that stamp duty was 10% and Laois was one of the cheapest counties to buy property!

Not sure I'd believe Leo, he also claimed in this thread that stamp duty was 10% and Laois was one of the cheapest counties to buy property!

You registered just to post that??? The 10% was an obvious mistake, since corrected. And Laois remains one of the cheapest county in Ireland based on sales. In 2014 the average price of 3-bed semi-detached houses sold was €55k, Leitrim and Roscommon were only slightly more expensive, Cavan at 4th cheapest was at €64k.

You registered just to post that??? The 10% was an obvious mistake, since corrected. And Laois remains one of the cheapest county in Ireland based on sales. In 2014 the average price of 3-bed semi-detached houses sold was €55k, Leitrim and Roscommon were only slightly more expensive, Cavan at 4th cheapest was at €64k.

Op isn't buying a house in 2014, it'll be 2018 very soon. There are currently 56 semi-detached 3-bed houses advertised on daft in Laois, only 6 are under 100k. Since 2010 the property price index has 254 sold. Only 10 were under 50k and another 32 between 50k-75k. Did you mix up Laois with Cavan or Longford perhaps?

At the end of the day my budget will restrict me and not leave me with many choices.

irishman , kilkenny has very fertile land but its pretty boring and flat like laois and carlow , if you dont care about being near a strong town and value natural wild scenery more , then donegal might be the place to go , its about the cheapest place in ireland bar longford , weather is awful however but donegal like all border counties is much much cheaper for services , people in those areas dont have the culture of over charging as competition from northern ireland keeps them keen

what your doing is pretty radical but its a free country , you sound like you dont really care what others think so would you consider living in a motor home ?, people in the usa do it all the time , if you dont like an area , move !

Galway_blow_in I would prefer to live in a house constructed of mortar and bricks which is just as well because i can't drive to save my life! Donegal has some amazeing scenery but any property i've seen from that area is remote.

Ideally i would like to live close to Dublin so i would have any easy commute back and forth visitng family in Dublin but Wicklow,Kildare and Wexford are very expensive.It looks like I'll end up somewhere out west like Roscommon or Leitrim.

ballyhale kilkenny , id rather live in a motorhome , seriously !

Here's a grand house in Boyle, Roscommon. Grand town as far as I know. Not that I'd live in remote wet Ireland but the OP doesn't mind that.

http://www.daft.ie/roscommon/houses...ge-park-folio-22621f-boyle-roscommon-1593579/

It's a long time since I was in Boyle but they have the lovely Lough Key Forest Park there. That house looks perfect to me. It's semi d and no management fees I reckon. Unless that's the 'bad part' of Boyle town it looks ok. (rent if very low, only €200 a month, you could live like a King with rent like that !)

Back