The ins and outs of buying a property

So once the contracts are signed and if something goes wrong after that will i get my money back and the property wont be mine?

You would be entitled to take legal action for specific performance of the contract. Your solicitor would advise on chances of success. That would of course entail further legal fees.

Otherwise you will get your deposit back, but you will be down costs such as surveys, legal fees and any other outlays tied to that property.

I'm looking in all rural areas where i can get a house in reasonable condition for no more than 40,000 euros, thats my budget.It has to be located in a village or country town so i can be close to all amenties and still have the countryside within walking distance more or less.If the property has a garden then thats a bonus but the house is the most important aspect to me.

Well we at least got a price range. Plus now you've added must be in a village or town. And you don't mind if it's Donegal or Kerry. Have you searched on Daft? Are you sure you can't narrow the area down for us. Like to me nothing on earth would persuade me to live in remote Donegal. Despite it being very beautiful. I'd prefer East and access to Dublin.

Well I've put on my Kirstie Alley hat and come up with this:

http://www.daft.ie/roscommon/houses...und-street-ballaghaderreen-roscommon-1588309/

Correct price. Remote county. In a town. With facilities. A house. What do you think of this Irishman? Looks in good nick too, I see no damp etc.

Two Storey Residence situated at Pound Street, Ballaghaderreen, within walking distance of the town centre, Cathedral, Schools, Library & other town amenities. This property, which is an end terrace, comprising briefly: Ground Floor: Open plan Sitting room/Fitted Kitchen/Diner with solid fuel stove & Fitted Utility Room. First Floor: 2 Bedrooms & Bathroom. Many features include OFCH.

I'm looking in all rural areas where i can get a house in reasonable condition for no more than 40,000 euros, thats my budget.It has to be located in a village or country town so i can be close to all amenties and still have the countryside within walking distance more or less.If the property has a garden then thats a bonus but the house is the most important aspect to me.

you wont get a house for 40 k anywhere unless you buy on gilmartin road tuam or somewhere

Hi everyone and thanks for the feedback. The property is for myself to live in.At this point i would like to say that i'm single age 48 with no kids and I have lived in a housing estate in Dublin all my life and i would like to move to a rural village or country town anywhere in the 26 counties but takeing into account i can only afford a cheap house and one that does not require a lot of refurbishment.I'm currently residing in the family home.I would like any advice on the actual purchase process.Cheers

so you have lived in dublin all your life and want to move to a rural village ?

you have no idea of the culture shock you would face , get ready for having to explain every week for the rest of your life what your doing in this new place , you will be a blow in and then some being from dublin , rural folk are incredibly clannish , they might seem friendly for a while but thats just nosiness , they want the facts about you but once they have them about you , your invisible and might as well be an alien , rural folk dont view people based on who they are , its all about what stock you come from and who your grandfather was

its an awful idea , fresh starts dont happen in rural areas , thats what cities are for

It has to be located in a village or country town so i can be close to all amenties and still have the countryside within walking distance more or less.

A house in a country town with the above criteria averages circa €130,000 and that will be in an estate if you are lucky. You have to pay a premium for town properties.

It has to be located in a village or country town so i can be close to all amenties

The problem with most Irish villages, particularly towards the west coast is that the amenities have all but closed down. Those that retain them tend to be more expensive.

Even searching all of Laoise, Roscommon and Leitrim (the three cheapest counties in Ireland) with your budget, only returns derelict houses, sites or a couple of run down properties listed for auction.

Bronte thanks for doing that search for me.That property looks pretty decent for the price and you proved some of the other posters wrong here because they said its not possible to get a property for 40,000 euros in a small country town.I have seen properties for as little as 32,000 euros and 35,000 euros in good condition and those same properties would cost a hell of alot more in overpriced Dublin. Galway_blow_in a fresh start or a new begining can happen anywhere.I know a few people who relocated to rural areas and i mean very rural areas surrounded by fields,mountains etc and they are happy,they are living where they want to live.As for the rural folk? I dont mind being invisible to them, after all i'm pleasing myself not them.

you proved some of the other posters wrong here because they said its not possible to get a property for 40,000 euros in a small country town.

Bear in mind most properties sell for above the asking price, particularly the way the market is at the moment. One of the most recent houses sold in Ballaghadereen went to auction with an advertised reserve range of €30-40k. That sold for €51k.

Even if you do get it for €40k, you will need to pay €400 in stamp duty, surveyors/engineer's fees of €250-1000, and legal fees of €1-2,000, so make sure you factor all that into your budget..

Last edited:
Bronte thanks for doing that search for me.That property looks pretty decent for the price and you proved some of the other posters wrong here because they said its not possible to get a property for 40,000 euros in a small country town.I have seen properties for as little as 32,000 euros and 35,000 euros in good condition and those same properties would cost a hell of alot more in overpriced Dublin. Galway_blow_in a fresh start or a new begining can happen anywhere.I know a few people who relocated to rural areas and i mean very rural areas surrounded by fields,mountains etc and they are happy,they are living where they want to live.As for the rural folk? I dont mind being invisible to them, after all i'm pleasing myself not them.

let me tell you , i grew up in rural ireland and know what its like , its not that there is anything wrong with rural folk but there is a different culture and mindset in rural areas , you will never be accepted , i seen a lot of dubs moved to the north east where im from back in the day and most of them seem to have underestimated just how hard it is to settle in , they are also not prepared for how impractical having to drive everywhere is , open space gets tired quickly too , rural ireland can be very very lonesome , in my opinion its only for farmers

i wish you well and if your happy in the end , fantastic , its a hermits life however for blow ins , the rat pack could walk into a pub in rural parts and be ignored due to their uncles not having played full back for the local GAA team , no meritocracy in rural ireland

i wish you well and if your happy in the end , fantastic , its a hermits life however for blow ins , the rat pack could walk into a pub in rural parts and be ignored due to their great, great, grand uncles not having played full back for the local GAA team , no meritocracy in rural ireland

Fixed that for ya !!!

I thought stamp duty would be no more than 300 to 400 euros at least thats what it says on the my home. ie website for a property priced at 40,000 euros.what legal fees? does it cost that much to employ the services of a solicitor?

I thought stamp duty would be no more than 300 to 400 euros at least thats what it says on the my home. ie website for a property priced at 40,000 euros.what legal fees? does it cost that much to employ the services of a solicitor?

stamp duty is 1% of the cost of a house or apartment ( residential property )

a solicitor will be on average about 1300 euro in rural areas , thats plus vat which is 23% , plus outlay ( writting to sellers solicitor , phone calls etc ), to register the property with the land registry once you buy it is 400 euro minimum even for a house with that value

so your talking at least two grand and probably a hundred or two on top

here is a place in monaghan town for 50 k , monaghan town isnt a bad town , two hours from dublin on the N2

http://www.daft.ie/monaghan/houses-for-sale/monaghan/17-high-street-monaghan-monaghan-1540534/

the monaghan people are the cutest in all of ireland so be careful , near the border though , more value conscious people up there , the west of ireland is awful expensive for getting anything done , tradesmen are at least 30% cheaper in the north east due to the competition from across the border , important if you need to do work on your house

I saw that property in a previous search galway_blow_in very nice but its out of my price range unfortunately. Could my Dublin based solicitor handle everything for a cheaper fee for a property priced at 40k?

The value of the property doesn't affect the solicitor fee in my experience. But the fact you are a cash buyer does, because they don't have to do some bits they do for the bank.
If you contact a few solicitors they'll send you a quote. There's no reason you can't use Dublin based solicitor.

I saw that property in a previous search galway_blow_in very nice but its out of my price range unfortunately. Could my Dublin based solicitor handle everything for a cheaper fee for a property priced at 40k?[/QUOTE

here is a nice apartment within your budget , claremorris is a decent town for its size , only problem here is the property is going to auction in galway in two days time

http://www.daft.ie/mayo/apartments-...l-court-chapel-lane-claremorris-mayo-1564735/

Back