The Indo and the "polling"

peemac

How much further will the Indo dig on their "scoop" of sinn fein, then sf and FG, then SF, FG, FF, then SF FG FF and Green, now SF, FG FF green and Renua and probably tomorrow Labour and others added, before they realise how ridiculous their story was.

You'd think a journalist (esp Indo) would never try and get information by pretending to be someone they weren't.

Irish Times seem to be finding it hilarious.

I just assumed that internal polling was done by all parties by the members and to get an accurate picture you would not say that you were connected to a party.

Years ago I did it for sunshine radio to guage listenership in a specific area. If I said I worked in sunshine, they'd tell me what I wanted to hear, so worthless. We called ourselves radio research Dublin.

Hope I don't get a headline in the Indo

What really should be happening is that An Taoiseach puts on a disguised voice and has a chat with a real person and lets them vent, or eavesdropping on same.

Better than getting abuse on the doorstep too late come election time.

1) I presume that no one objects to a newspaper commissioning MRBI to conduct a poll on voting intentions?
If a pollster calls to my door, I will fill in the voting paper.

2) Would anyone object to a political party commissioning MRBI to conduct a poll on voting intentions?
I don't see anything wrong with this.

Same as 1) above. I don't know who the client is, so I would fill in the ballot paper anyway.

3) Would anyone object to a political party asking their members to conduct a poll on voting intentions?
If there is no difference between 2) and 3) , then there should be no objection.

As peemac points out, it would be pointless saying "We are from SF and want to know how you will vote?"

4) The only thing which would be objectionable if they did not treat the results anonymously.
So if FF or SF or FG entered my voting intention in 3) above into their database it would be wrong.

It would be particularly wrong if they said it would be anonymous, and then matched my name to my "ballot" paper.

Brendan

1) I presume that no one objects to a newspaper commissioning MRBI to conduct a poll on voting intentions?
If a pollster calls to my door, I will fill in the voting paper.

2) Would anyone object to a political party commissioning MRBI to conduct a poll on voting intentions?
I don't see anything wrong with this.

Same as 1) above. I don't know who the client is, so I would fill in the ballot paper anyway.

3) Would anyone object to a political party asking their members to conduct a poll on voting intentions?
If there is no difference between 2) and 3) , then there should be no objection.

As peemac points out, it would be pointless saying "We are from SF and want to know how you will vote?"

4) The only thing which would be objectionable if they did not treat the results anonymously.
So if FF or SF or FG entered my voting intention in 3) above into their database it would be wrong.

It would be particularly wrong if they said it would be anonymous, and then matched my name to my "ballot" paper.

Brendan
I found myself in the unusual and uncomfortable position of agreeing with Paul Murphy last night. He was logical and reasonable on Matt Coopers show (Matt, try it some time).

While I would have no problem telling a pollster from FF, FG or Labour that I wouldn't vote for them I wouldn't be so forthright with a Shinner and I'm fond of the joints above the Shin. In future, since they could actually be from any party, just to be safe, I'll have to tell them all I'm voting for the Shinners. :)

How much further will the Indo dig on their "scoop" of sinn fein, then sf and FG, then SF, FG, FF, then SF FG FF and Green, now SF, FG FF green and Renua and probably tomorrow Labour and others added, before they realise how ridiculous their story was.

You'd think a journalist (esp Indo) would never try and get information by pretending to be someone they weren't.

Irish Times seem to be finding it hilarious.

I just assumed that internal polling was done by all parties by the members and to get an accurate picture you would not say that you were connected to a party.

Years ago I did it for sunshine radio to guage listenership in a specific area. If I said I worked in sunshine, they'd tell me what I wanted to hear, so worthless. We called ourselves radio research Dublin.

Hope I don't get a headline in the Indo
Excitabat enim fluctus in simpulo ut dicitur Gratidius (storm in a teacup)

Bona fide research companies can fairly charge... I can see why political parties would want to go for the DIY approach..

Back