The Gold thread

Can you imagine the craic if they end up demolishing loads of the houses flipped in this country over the last decade because they were overrun by vandals.

[broken link removed]

It mentions that china were thinking of moving from dollars to a move stable currencys, maybe euro but move more likely to gold.

what would that mean for things and the price of gold, would it prob go higher??

Prices has gone up again for petrol which will obviously have a further bad affect on the markets - when petrol goes up it means that everything else will follow.

Prices has gone up again for petrol which will obviously have a further bad affect on the markets - when petrol goes up it means that everything else will follow.

What? Petrol was a lot cheaper in 2003, presumably if I check back I'll see the ISEQ was a lot higher back then, right?

Also, why does an increase in petrol signify that "everything else will follow"? Why couldn't the opposite effect occur, as a consequence of people having less disposable income?

Rising petrol prices are a symptom, not a cause.

***Worried about Asset Values***Please Help***Worried about Asset Values***Please Help***

Are nearly all asset classes no longer safe other than gold at the moment? Especially given the continued trouble with Libor increasing yesterday and the BoE losing control to the City mentality of "used car salesmen" money traders. Coupled to this the Abx markets,credit default swaps index ($45trn value), property derivatives, Fiat currency and Capital markets are all causing a fix with inflation and are all cresending together etc etc. We therefore maybe witnessing a major financial contagion . If price inflation is being led by cost push inflation (eg rising raw material costs), not demand pull inflation, (where increasing wages > increasing prices>increasing wages) could Gold be the only safe and relevant choice. Rate cuts IMO by the BoE and Fed could cause further problems rather solutions in the medium to long term.

Greed and fear have always rapidly driven the markets, both ways, with no ground in between. At the moment fear is in vogue. Many companies are stock piling more and more money to protect their liquidity into 2008. So much so that even the mighty giant Merrill Lynch, can't get its hands on enough and has resorted to borrowing at astronomical rates of 11% from the Saudi's to protect positions.

Investors are now rushing out of equity and straight into gold, with traders tipping gold to reach ridiculous highs from its present level. It would astound you what some London traders are tipping [$1k-5k an ounce depending on the crisis] but maybe they are doom merchants looking for investment commissions. So, is this all Y2K stuff or is there loads of fallout going on from the credit crisis. Is it just the tip of the iceberg. If there is more bad news, would a greater weighting in gold be a better hedge to protect hard earned savings?? And if so what percentage of a large portfolio should it consist of - 20%, 99% or more??

Please tell me I'm overly bearish and exagerrating in this worrying situation. But the future to me could be hyper inflation and gold could rise accordingly as a safe enough security.

I have a gold bracelet which was worth more than 1000 euro roughly 10 year ago. It's not an antique. Its' value comes from its' size and weight.

I just wonder if rising gold will also increase the value of my gold jewellery ?

Do jewellery/ jeweller's prices follow the price of gold in the markets ?

More cuts are very much expected in the next few months by the fed.
In that case - is it not a no-brainer to just invest in gold now?

Like - have many people on this thread invested in gold?

Do many people think gold will not rise in value over the next,say, couple of years?

Like - is this a bull run we should all be gettimg stuck into?

Or are peoples opinions divided ?

I've just had a punt on it myself in the last fortnight - (and know little about it) so naturally it is now on my radar like never before.

it has been steadily rising under the radar since 2001, and yes i think it will continue to rise well into the future, it only seems to be attracting alot of popular attention recently as the housing slump has started which has caused the financial meltdown on global markets. It is also part of the commodity boom which has been ongoing since 2001 but which is also now only getting popular attention as people notice prices for everything rising in supermarkets. All these events are good for gold and all these events have alot further to run, inflation is only now becoming embedded in the global system 7 years after the commodity boom started, therefore this trend has an awful lot further to run. Therefore we are now only at the end of the beginning in this trend.

I have a gold bracelet which was worth more than 1000 euro roughly 10 year ago. It's not an antique. Its' value comes from its' size and weight.

I just wonder if rising gold will also increase the value of my gold jewellery ?

Do jewellery/ jeweller's prices follow the price of gold in the markets ?

Yes is the answer to both of these questions.

Yes is the answer to both of these questions.
I actually disagree, sort of. It should do, but I doubt you'll find much improvement on price unless it's a sought-after piece. The weight and purity won't really make that much difference on a pure scrap metal basis as there's enough new gold coming out to produce new items and relatively small private transactions are always marked lower or more costly anyways. As the raw gold price has risen, so too has the cost of handling, storing, insuring it so I don't think we'll see people makign money from their jewellery unless it has some artistic or aesthetic value that people will pay a premium for.

I actually disagree, sort of. It should do, but I doubt you'll find much improvement on price unless it's a sought-after piece. The weight and purity won't really make that much difference on a pure scrap metal basis as there's enough new gold coming out to produce new items and relatively small private transactions are always marked lower or more costly anyways. As the raw gold price has risen, so too has the cost of handling, storing, insuring it so I don't think we'll see people makign money from their jewellery unless it has some artistic or aesthetic value that people will pay a premium for.
Well maybe. If you buy gold jewellery in the gulf, it is sold on the basis of it's weight/gold purity + 1-5% for the craftsmanship. A Mr. T. gold necklace/bracelet (e.g. any chain gold) being on the lower end of the scale. So the jewellery is worth it's gold value. On selling, the likelihood is that it'll be worth weight/gold purity - 1-5% depending on how complex it is to turn back into gold! Again, this is based on the way they do things in the gulf.

heh, yeah, you're right. If you like it, buy it and if you just want to invest in gold, get some krugerrands or those bullion trackers. Hadn't thought of Mr T for a few years now. Man, he'll be quids in!

Hadn't thought of Mr T for a few years now. Man, he'll be quids in!
It'll pay for his new knees from lugging all that weight around!

(Every time I hear Mr. T. mentioned, I can't help thinking about Eddie Murphy's nightmare! "Hey boy, looking mighty fine in them tight jeans...").

yeah, top one. Love that guy Murphy. Wonder if he's got Irish rellies down the line somewhere and will pop in for some info?! 'I'm trading some orange juice futures and wanted to know...' apols for going seriously o/t...

I'm a complete novice at this lark. I have an etrade account that was set up for me years ago after receiving some stock for the tech co. I work for. I would like to buy some gold and I was wondering if one of you could give me 'an idiots guide' on how to do so.

Thanks

I'm a complete novice at this lark. I have an etrade account that was set up for me years ago after receiving some stock for the tech co. I work for. I would like to buy some gold and I was wondering if one of you could give me 'an idiots guide' on how to do so.

Thanks

have you looked in this thread, also think there is a search function somewhere!!!

"I'm a complete novice at this lark. I have an etrade account that was set up for me years ago after receiving some stock for the tech co. I work for. I would like to buy some gold and I was wondering if one of you could give me 'an idiots guide' on how to do so."

from my experience you cannot buy and sell stock with accounts set up by your company with etrade, all you can do with these accounts is sell your stocks for cash. However if you set up a new account with etrade then you can buy and sell whatever you like. You can also sell your company stocks and then ring etrade and inform them to transfer the cash to your own personal account.

Back