The girls in Green.

One nil defeat but a decent performance by the girls green. They have a very good defence but a bit light up front .....now where did I hear that before..

Good performance by the Irish ladies today against a much fancied Australia and in front of a crowd of nearly 80,000 spectators. The Irish team competed, fought hard and unlucky in the end not to get a point. For me McCabe was Ireland’s best player. They are in a difficult group and any team to qualify will have to work hard. Canada and Nigeria will not like playing Ireland because ours just keep competing. Well Done Ireland!

Over 500k watched the game live on RTE and 360k streamed it on the player making it the most streamed live RTE event this year. Sounds like a lot of people had it on in the background at work.
I'm delighted that I was wrong. Hopefully the support remains strong.

It was always a tough ask facing both the host nation and Olympic champions but overall I thought they played well. And well done to Katie McCabe for our first goal.

Great performance by the Irish. Lost by a penalty against Australia, by an own goal against Canada and a good point against Nigeria. Well done and lots to look forward to..

A kick of a ball could have changed the results of a couple of the three matches. I think they have much to proud of in their world cup appearance. Please don't go into meltdown now participation is over.

I don't know the story about the FAI being tardy in renewing Vera's contract. I was disappointed in the Irish captain insisting that somebody should be replaced live on camera during the match. Also at least four other players are not rowing in behind Vera Pauw - this World Cup will probably be remembered in Ireland for all the wrong reasons.

The level of dissent coming out from players is not a good look. No doubt there is more to come out in the wash but as you say Leper it will probably end up being more a story about tensions off the pitch than performances on the pitch.
I should add that some of the questions posed by the media are extremely disrespectful to Vera Pauw. One asked her if she would be attending the homecoming ceremony, to which she naturally replied "why wouldn't I". There appears to be an agenda to force her out by some.

Last edited:
Vera did say after the match that the captain is entitled to ask for changes, fresh legs , but as manager I make the decisions. She said that as the players were doing so well she didn't like to change things. It is always likely that if she did make changes the might have lost, or won, the game.. decisions, decisions.

Another great result for the Girls in Green. Seven goals in two matches and two clean sheets, great stuff.

Back