The girls in Green.

joer

I hope the girls in Green have a good campaign in Australia. They are in a very tough group so it's going to be a huge ask for them to qualify but good luck to them and sure who knows..

How many people will actually watch the matches? How many women will watch them? I won't, but I don't watch the men play either.
Best of luck to them though.

How many people will actually watch the matches? How many women will watch them? I won't, but I don't watch the men play either.
Best of luck to them though.
I take it that your not a football fan then !!
I used to think that soccer was boring ...but then I saw a GAA match last Sunday , it was boring football, in my opinion. There was drama but I didn't enjoy it at all. I will watch the Irish games though and perhaps a few more games during the world cup..

I take it that your not a football fan then !!
I am a football fan. I watch the Dubs most of the time, though for me Hurling and Rugby are much better games to watch. I'm not much of a fan of watching the Irish soccer team play. I find it stressful and boring in equal measures.
I used to think that soccer was boring ...but then I saw a GAA match last Sunday , it was boring football, in my opinion. There was drama but I didn't enjoy it at all. I will watch the Irish games though and perhaps a few more games during the world cup..
There's lots of hype around women's soccer but from what I see very little interest amongst women in general. They just aren't that interested in sport. It's a pity that they don't support their own but that's just the way it is.

I am a football fan. I watch the Dubs most of the time, though for me Hurling and Rugby are much better games to watch. I'm not much of a fan of watching the Irish soccer team play. I find it stressful and boring in equal measures.

There's lots of hype around women's soccer but from what I see very little interest amongst women in general. They just aren't that interested in sport. It's a pity that they don't support their own but that's just the way it is.
Irish soccer is not good right now.The men are not good. I watched some of the girls against France. Ireland were ok but France were good. It was a friendly after all and much more so than the Colombia game , it seems..
I love watching Hurling and Rugby too , they are very exciting sports .

I really enjoyed the womens European championships a couple of years back. Far more technical then I expected, less "hoof" at the higher level and far less cynicism then the mens game. If you like watching Arsenal or Man City, that seems to be the approach of the top teams. Goalkeeping can be an issue but the goalies are normally smaller then in the mens games and it is less physical.

The Irish women’s team got a really tough draw and while I don’t expect miracles from them I do expect them to acquit themselves well. I will watch them, match timings allowing, and I will wear me hat whle shouting at the telly. Best of luck to Vera and her charges. As Doyler used to say back in the amateur rugby days, “Give it a lash!”

How many people will actually watch the matches? How many women will watch them?
RTE are hyping it but I don't imaging many will watch it. I asked my wife and daughters whether they'd watch it but they weren't interested. We watch the World Cup and Euros but I doubt we'll watch any of the Women's World Cup.

RTE are hyping it but I don't imaging many will watch it. I asked my wife and daughters whether they'd watch it but they weren't interested. We watch the World Cup and Euros but I doubt we'll watch any of the Women's World Cup.
I disagree. I think it will have a decent amount of people watching it. It certainly depends on the time of the matches, of course. If they happen to qualify from this group of death the audience will increase. Regardless I will watch as many games as I can.
It would be interesting to hear from the ladies on this forum if many of them will watch it .,..,..

I asked my daughters and they've no interest in it and won't be watching.

Our best ever boxer is a woman, our best track and field athletes are women, our best swimmers are women. The women beat their New Zealand counterparts in Rugby before the men did. I don't know enough about horse racing to say that Rachael Blackmore is our best ever jockey but she's certainly up there. Mabel Cahill is probably our best ever tennis player, though maybe Lena Rice edges her out. The list goes on. Its a shame that Irish women don't support their compatriots more but that's just the way it is.

In order to wish them well?
To be honest no!
No, in order for them to know that they had the broad support of their country. In order for them to know that people were bothered to take the time to show that support.
"I wish you well but not enough to bother watching you play on TV" is a bit weak. I think it's a pity more women don't support them, rather than just wishing them well.

Years ago I also wished our Paralympians well at a time they were competing before one man and his dog.

No matter what way you look at it these girls are representing Ireland in Australia. I wish them well; I think (unlike our Rep of Ireland men) the Irish girls will compete. I don't care if they win, lose or draw as long as they compete honestly and try and win. and I'll be watching them on television. Best of Luck to Our Girls in Green or whatever colour they wear.

I disagree. My daughters can't wait, wall charts are up, tri colour is flying out the window. COYGIG

Back