The Gasworks (South Lotts Road/Barrow Street) Dublin

Re: The Gasworks

but the Hooke MacDonald prices don't include a car parking space. So recent private sale was for 23.5k lower than May prices (when you exclude the parking space).

Seems about right. Vendor made allowances for stamp duty by the looks of things. :D Someone selling in an unfinished complex will always have to make concessions as purchasers can still go straight to builder.

Hello All,

Thinking of buying an apartment in the Gasworks , anyone owning/renting there with any views on the development. Thanks.

:eek: Jason7, I feel like Whathome and I have hijacked your thread!!

I haven't heard anything bad about the Gasworks, in fact, anyone I've talked to loves living there. It's a very 'urban' complex, if you know what I mean, with owners ranging from late 20s to early 30s corporate types, mainly.

The occupants are allowed to join Sportsco, gym on South Lotts Road, which is a bonus for my friend as she loves to swim and says pool is great.

You can walk to Stephen's Green, if you've a mind to. Landsdowne is about a 5 minute walk, Herbert Park about 10. The dart station is across the road and I think there is a choice of busses.

Good Luck wherever you buy!:D

:eek: Jason7, I feel like Whathome and I have hijacked your thread!!:D

I wouldn't worry liteweight, our discussion was very relevant to a potential purchaser in this location.

It’s close proximity to the railway line, comment from local residents, recent selling prices. All should be of interest to potential purchasers.

As mentioned previously, digging through the [broken link removed] site will unearth a ton of useful information to a potential purchaser...I would definitely have a very good read before taking the plunge on this development.

I've a friend who lives there and seems to like it a lot. But one thing I will say - Id be afraid that the layout of the place is a little too conducive to it turning into a ghetto in years to come. In particular, the blind stairwells and narrow enclosed paths around some of the blocks are asking for trouble.

If the area ever gets even a little bit dodgy, the landings and stairwell design will be a breeding ground for trouble.

just wondering if anyone else had any further comments on this, as i'm thinking of taking the plunge! i checked googleland.ie but some of the more negative posts appear to have been censored/removed???

Just a gut feeling from myself that there are strong signals that these are ( VERY) overpriced. Many good apoartment developments sell out from plans or soon after build. You do not see full page advertising for more than a few weeks on most developments.
The Gasworks, I feel, Has reappeared in the adavertising pages very , veryfrequently over the past year or more and in otyher forms of media. This shows a reluctance of the general buying population to buy them.
They are indeed overpirced for what you get in my opinion and rely on D4 address to sell them.
If they are so difficult to sell new how hard will the be to shift with 5/6% stamp on them 2nd hand!
A house in nearby Iriushtown could be bought foir similar representing much better value and chance of appreciation/redsale IMO.

William Bligh (?) is supposed to be the best block!!

As in Captain Bligh of mutiny on the bounty! That's great. Gold star to whoever thought of that one. :)

Bligh designed the North Bull Wall at the mouth of the River Liffey, to ensure the
entrance to Dublin Port did not silt up by a sandbar forming.

just wondering if anyone else had any further comments on this, as i'm thinking of taking the plunge! i checked googleland.ie but some of the more negative posts appear to have been censored/removed???

I've two friends who live in the Gasworks and they love it. At the suggestion of another poster I had a look at the site a while ago. I've looked at it today and it seems posts that might cause security issues have been removed but nothing else. There are very few posts on the site anyway in comparison to the number of people who live there. Most posts seem to be from the moderators!!

I didn't see anything on the site that I wouldn't assume happens in every apartment block particularly when it's new. Mininv below says her friends love it but she has reservations in case the area goes down. I've been in the Gasworks and to be honest, I've never seen these blind stairwells etc. unless she means the fire exit stairwell.

Monkeyboy is relying on gut feeling so maybe that's what you should do too. I helped my friend research these apartments and many many others when she was downsizing. She bought and as I say, she loves it, says the location is great, sound insulation is great and the size and layout is good in comparison to others. Generally I've never heard her complain. With regard to the advertising, the builder has been releasing them over two years now. He does not let them all come on stream at once. The latest release, I think, was the Gasometer itself and one other block. The other person who lives there is my daughter's friend. He loves it too and he has lived in apartments since he was eighteen. He's now thinking of buying and has no reservations what so ever.

Since I last posted on this thread, I suppose I have a sideways vested interest:D...my daughter is also thinking of putting her money on the Gasworks.

Just a gut feeling from myself that there are strong signals that these are ( VERY) overpriced. Many good apoartment developments sell out from plans or soon after build. You do not see full page advertising for more than a few weeks on most developments.
The Gasworks, I feel, Has reappeared in the adavertising pages very , veryfrequently over the past year or more and in otyher forms of media. This shows a reluctance of the general buying population to buy them.
They are indeed overpirced for what you get in my opinion and rely on D4 address to sell them.
If they are so difficult to sell new how hard will the be to shift with 5/6% stamp on them 2nd hand!
A house in nearby Iriushtown could be bought foir similar representing much better value and chance of appreciation/redsale IMO.

I absolutely agree, I think they're way overpriced. You would get much better value buying a house in Irishtown IMO. Gasworks was developed by the Zoe developments sister company, Danninger. The apartments remind me of the shoebox type developments that Zoe used to build in the 90's. Liteweight is wrong about it being just the security issues on googleland.ie. Many of the posts that highlighted the problems with noise and anti-social behavior (and there were a lot of them!) appear to have been removed or hidden behind a "private section" on the site.

I think it's a great area but monkeyboy is right, there's much better value in Irishtown and Ringsend at the moment than Gasworks IMO.

As in Captain Bligh of mutiny on the bounty! That's great. Gold star to whoever thought of that one. :)

Bligh designed the North Bull Wall at the mouth of the River Liffey, to ensure the
entrance to Dublin Port did not silt up by a sandbar forming.

I didn't know that!! Was wondering how they came up with the names.:)

Whathome, my daughter would love to buy in Irishtown/Ringsend but there is nothing comparable for the price in the area. One or two small cottages next to the toll bridge end of Ringsend Park under 400K but they are literally in bits and very very small. Most 1 bed apartments in the Gasworks are 550-600 sq.st. whereas the cottages are 400 and in some instances 300!! So you spend a fortune renovating in order to live in a shoe box. We have viewed just about everything on sale in the area of late.

I remember the posts about noise now that you mention it but although there were a few it was started by the same person each time. My friend never heard it, when I spoke about insulation, I meant inside you can't hear those above or below you. The problem was apparently in one apartment where the tenant opened her windows and had people out on the balcony on a Saturday night. The Management Company informed her father who was the landlord and he took her home...silly silly girl!:( The private section on the site says it has never had a post???:confused:

Seriously, Whathome, I know you're looking to buy at the moment and trawl through MyHome and Daft for bargains in the current public sentiment thread....if you come across anything decent in Irishtown/Ringsend can you let me know?? Unless my research has been flawed there's nothing of that size for that price??

The problem was apparently in one apartment where the tenant opened her windows and had people out on the balcony on a Saturday night. The Management Company informed her father who was the landlord and he took her home...silly silly girl!:(

Do you honestly expect anyone to believe that? You come up with the best stories liteweight, I love them, ... move over Cecelia Ahern!!!

Unless my research has been flawed there's nothing of that size for that price??

As I said, there's much better value in the area IMO. I'm sure gravitygirl knows about myhome.ie :)

i do indeed know about myhome.ie (i've been trawling it for months! :() to be honest i'm actually looking more for an apartment, as im a 23 y.o. girl and used to own an older type small property (the typical city centre type, from the places iv seen in ringsend/irishtown they're similar about 500 sq feet etc.) and the hassle that was involved in maintenance was too much for me (don't talk to me about repointing brickwork :rolleyes: ). I definitely agree that a house in the area would probably appreciate much more and do better long-term, i just think it's probably a bit much for me at this stage having tried it already.

the noise aspect does bother me, as does the fact that you can't access the negative posts which have been cordoned off into a private/password access only forum (sounds a bit dodge!) also security would be a bigish thing for me as iv been broken into before (and pretty much everything was stolen :(). i always through 2nd/3rd floor apartments would prob be considered safer than houses but maybe not??

thanks again guys :)

Do you honestly expect anyone to believe that? You come up with the best stories liteweight, I love them, ... move over Cecelia Ahern!!!

I don't particularly care whether you believe it or not!! I'm simply passing on what was told to me. It's a bit naive to think that no one would ever have a party in an apartment block...anywhere. Why would you think I'd make it up? It's not very fair on the person trying to get some information on the place. Do you have any personal experience of the Gasworks, have you ever been there? I have been there on a regular basis and I love the place. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Hopefully someone who actually lives in the place will reply to the thread and can give gravitygirl their opinion.

As I said, there's much better value in the area IMO. I'm sure gravitygirl knows about myhome.ie :)

I'm sure she does, so do I and I live in D4. I genuinely meant it when I asked you to point out anything that you thought was better value. My daughter is in the market now and we can't find anything so I was wondering what places you're basing your decision on....before she puts her money down.

i do indeed know about myhome.ie (i've been trawling it for months! :() to be honest i'm actually looking more for an apartment, as im a 23 y.o. girl and used to own an older type small property (the typical city centre type, from the places iv seen in ringsend/irishtown they're similar about 500 sq feet etc.) and the hassle that was involved in maintenance was too much for me (don't talk to me about repointing brickwork :rolleyes: ). I definitely agree that a house in the area would probably appreciate much more and do better long-term, i just think it's probably a bit much for me at this stage having tried it already.

Did you see anything comparable in price that didn't need renovation on a large scale? As I said, my daughter is buying and I can't find anything so if you've any tips we'd be grateful!:)

the noise aspect does bother me, as does the fact that you can't access the negative posts which have been cordoned off into a private/password access only forum (sounds a bit dodge!) also security would be a bigish thing for me as iv been broken into before (and pretty much everything was stolen :(). i always through 2nd/3rd floor apartments would prob be considered safer than houses but maybe not??

thanks again guys :)

Every apartment block will have noise on occasion...it's apartment living I'm afraid. Then again, I suppose you could buy a house and be in the same position! I think it's different with apartments though because of the sheer volume of people. Why don't you put up a post on the Gasworks forum and see what kind of replies you get. The private forum says it's never been posted to. I know there was an argument with some people wanting the forum private and others not. I thought the guy who runs the site decided against it???? Maybe you could send him a PM telling him you want to move in and voice any concerns you might have? He runs Neighbours.ie too and seems a decent enough chap. I own apartments and if I'm honest, I wouldn't like it to have a forum like the above, because I believe people only think about them when they have something to gripe about and forget about them the rest of the time.

thanks again liteweight :) rechecked myhome.ie and tbh there's nothing in the same price range in the area. you're right on that front. bar some of the other docks developments (which would be similar-ish to the gasworks anyway in terms of density etc. and maybe not as high-end in terms of finish) perhaps. i'm willing to accept an average level of noise/people moving about/ the odd party at the weekend etc. don't get me wrong (i am 23 after all ;))

as for posting on the gasworks forum, well i did (and also included a 'sorry if this isn't allowed/in the wrong place' etc proviso) and it got deleted a few hours later. perhaps nothing is allowed that may put off a potential purchaser?

thanks again liteweight :) rechecked myhome.ie and tbh there's nothing in the same price range in the area. you're right on that front. bar some of the other docks developments (which would be similar-ish to the gasworks anyway in terms of density etc. and maybe not as high-end in terms of finish) perhaps. i'm willing to accept an average level of noise/people moving about/ the odd party at the weekend etc. don't get me wrong (i am 23 after all ;))

as for posting on the gasworks forum, well i did (and also included a 'sorry if this isn't allowed/in the wrong place' etc proviso) and it got deleted a few hours later. perhaps nothing is allowed that may put off a potential purchaser?

Well to be honest, I don't like the sound of that! What did you say........how many scangers per sq. ft. live in etc.:D I doubt that nothing of that nature is allowed, after all, I've read the posts that are on there! That's very strange. What's the point in having a site that won't let potential purchasers ask questions?:confused:

What's the point in having a site that won't let potential purchasers ask questions?:confused:

I think this thread on googleland will provide an answer as to why negative posts are removed or hidden.
A poster called "Sherlock" requested that complaints be kept private (from post 16 on).
[broken link removed]

By the way liteweight, I guessed from your very distintive style of writing and tone of posts that you were also known as "Sherlock" on googleland in the thread linked to above ...but the real giveaway was your trademark double exclamations...."!!"

I don't particularly care whether you believe it or not!!

So which Gasworks building is your investment apartment in Sherlock...ooops Sorry, liteweight? :D

I think this thread on googleland will provide an answer as to why negative posts are removed or hidden.
A poster called "Sherlock" requested that complaints be kept private (from post 16 on).
[broken link removed]

By the way liteweight, I guessed from your very distintive style of writing and tone of posts that you were also known as "Sherlock" on googleland in the thread linked to above ...but the real giveaway was your trademark double exclamations...."!!"

So which Gasworks building is your investment apartment in Sherlock...ooops Sorry, liteweight? :D

Are you for real?? I don't get what's going on with you at all. You've PM'd me about this before and I explained myself to you. At that time you based your logic on the fact that Sherlock asked a gardening question and you decided that could only be asked by Liteweight!! I shouldn't have bothered explaining myself at all :p...perhaps you should PM Oirish, maybe he's Sherlock, or Irish Garden?? Now your hypothesis is based on a double exclamation mark?:confused: For your information Whathome, the Gasworks is not the only apartment complex that I have made good comments about. I've done this on a number of places both Northside and Southside, in fact you've agreed with me on at least one of them....do you own it?

As you know my daughter's boyfriend rents there and my friend is an owner, so I do have a connection with the place which I've always divulged. I'll tell you what...Sherlock is posting here now so why don't you ask Brendan or one of the moderators if we're one and the same? I'm sure they might oblige as it seems to be really bugging you over a long period of time now. I believe they can tell if the posts come from the same computer? Care to take a punt on what their answer would be? I'll bet no will be the answer...oh I forgot...!!! Bet the third one's confused you now hasn't it?:D

OK, just had a look at the thread. I'm not sure if I should thank you for the complement. Sherlock is much more articulate than I am but we do share a !!. :D Have you actually checked through all my posts and made comparisons with this guy? Do you do that with all posts you disagree with? The current public sentiment thread must be getting very boring. Have you come up with anything in Irishtown that's better value yet?

Hi,

I just came across this thread this evening and thought I should reply. I am a resident in The Gasworks for over a year now and also set up the forum there.

Firstly I would like to say to Gravitygirl that I did remove your post from the forum. I did this because some residents feel very strongly about taking the forum private because of it potentially putting off people thinking of buying in The Gasworks because of certain posts that made reference to parties going on late at night etc. and I could see your post bringing the whole debate up for the third time on our forum. For the record I would have no problem leaving your post on the forum and I'm sorry I had to remove it.

There have been a very small number of parties in The Gasworks and it has been annoying, however it is absolutely no different to any apartment block in the whole of Ireland and I would totally disregard this if you are seriously thinking of buying there.

I really like it in The Gasworks and would recommend it to anyone. It is close to the dart and only a 20 min walk into town. Furthermore it is nicely situated off the main roads and is very peaceful. The landscaping is really nice and there are several small water fountains throughout the development. Also lots of green areas with benches to sit and read a book or relax on a sunny day/evening.

There is always a bit of life around the place which really ads atmosphere in my opinion. The Google staff sometimes sit on our benches and have their lunch which residents seem more than happy to let them as again it ads some life and atmosphere, they totally respect our property and do not abuse this trust.

The Gasworks holds one of the most stunning residential buildings in Dublin in my opinion and it has become a very well known landmark.

These are just some reasons why I like living here and I will gladly add to this or answer any queries anyone may have. I actually am leaving in 5 mins to catch a flight out of Dublin so I have to fly (pardon the pun!!). Please post any q's and I will certainly answer as best I can. Bear in mind it may be a while before I reply as I will be away.

Hope this helps answer some of your queries for now.

Kind regards,
Ciaran

Back