The Gaeltacht: expensive to send a child to gaeltacht for 3wks in the summer, Grants?

It was one of the definitive experiences of my (working-class!) childhood so it is great to know the Gaeltacht system is still vigorous and appreciated. One of my childhood Irish-speaking stomping grounds (Tra Bolgan) is now a plush Centre Parc-style commercial venue which gives an indication of how wonderful the environment was. The other Gaeltacht I remember most about was Falcarragh in Donegal. I do remember we had to supplement our diet heavily with chocolate and fruit purchased from local shops as in those days there was a bit of a boot-camp 'iron rations' mentality and given we were burgeoning teenagers :D you couldn't have too much energy for it all!! Grant (none of the families involved would have been able to afford big fees) was from Roinn na Gaeltachta.

Re: The Gaeltacht: expensive to send a child to gaeltacht for 3wks in the summer, Gra

The UISCE centre in Belmullet are offering a scholarship scheme this year. We recieved notification about it in the post. They have €15,000 worth of scholarships this year.

Have a look here www.uisce.ie/competition

I think its a full scholarship for kids to one of their courses in the summer

Re: The Gaeltacht: expensive to send a child to gaeltacht for 3wks in the summer, Gra

I did 4 summers in Colaiste Chamuis in Connemara. Brilliant. Sent my kids to several Gaeltachts with varying results. None were as strict as mine - one full sentence in English and you're on the train home. Stricter = greater improvement IME. My eldest lad went to Colaiste na bhFiann which we used to be afraid and in awe of and didn't make the same strides as we did as kids.

BTW you know the way the houses where you stay have names : one of the houses was named Ti Bobby Sands by virtue of the lack of food and the inedibility of what you did get. My brother lost 2 stone in 3 weeks. Oh God the spam sandwiches. (There was a lot of walking though).

A.

i myself went to colaiste Chonnact a few times, i think some of the gaa clubs offer scolarships

Yeah not a bad place, not too strict either but I dont think I learned much Irish but I wasn't too bothered about that. Good for sports though.

Check with their school my son got a grant from his secondary school they were told if anyone was going to Irish college to come to the office as there were grants available it amazed me as if they were not given out on assessment basis I doubt we would have got it if they were - but was still glad of it and he had great time.

I went to the Gaeltacht after winning a scholarship through the VEC. I was attending a VEC school and my Irish teacher told us about it. I was given £X (can't remember) to attend whatever college I wanted. It covered the entire cost.

Back