The Election Issues

I've lived in 6 houses in my adult life and I've been burgled in 5 of them (the one I didn't get burgled in was in North Dublin, the rest were on the South Side). On one occasion I confronted the burglar and he fled after a brief altercation. On another I disturbed them and they fled without taking anything. On no occasion did I feel I was in danger. I know it can be different for other people but I just don't have that much stuff to take (the keys of the helicopter are kept at the helipad and the Monet and Pollack are in a vault) and no damage was done so it wasn't a big deal.
I'd say your very very much in the minority of people who have been burgled

The Shinners let the mask slip, with a councillor from West Dublin pointing out his dislike of a guy foreigner running the country.
At least Paddy Holohan can look after himself if the Shinners revert to their usual methods of keeping people in line.

All a bit desperate wasn't it..... 'I have nothing against him apart from him being gay and part Indian'...…

Apparently we should have a "family man" (Not family woman) running the Country. Sorry Mary Lou but you need to grow a pair.

Sigh. Two days into the election and it has been nothing but garbage politics....

We’ve lost the fight against organised crime. I don’t shed too many tears when gangland starts culling itself. It’s time the Gardaí didn’t either.
Leper I hope there aren't too many sharing your view. I would hate to think that people are simply accepting that these gangs are too dangerous to tackle and that we should just leave them to it. There are always innocent victims in these feuds so to suggest that we should accept that we've lost the fight is not good enough.

Leper I hope there aren't too many sharing your view. I would hate to think that people are simply accepting that these gangs are too dangerous to tackle and that we should just leave them to it. There are always innocent victims in these feuds so to suggest that we should accept that we've lost the fight is not good enough.

1. I wish I hadn't this viewpoint, but the Gardaí are not filling me with confidence that all of them are doing what they should be doing.
2. The gangs have become too dangerous. Now they're using 17 year olds as enforcers. We have gone too soft as a society.
3. I regret to say that innocent people become their victims.
4. I am suggesting that we should not accept the situation.
5. We've lost the fight, of that there is no doubt. So we have got to fight differently.
6. The Gardaí, Social Welfare, Revenue have the means to wipe out Gangland criminals in Ireland. It's time they tackled the situation.

1. I wish I hadn't this viewpoint, but the Gardaí are not filling me with confidence that all of them are doing what they should be doing.
2. The gangs have become too dangerous. Now they're using 17 year olds as enforcers. We have gone too soft as a society.
3. I regret to say that innocent people become their victims.
4. I am suggesting that we should not accept the situation.
5. We've lost the fight, of that there is no doubt. So we have got to fight differently.
6. The Gardaí, Social Welfare, Revenue have the means to wipe out Gangland criminals in Ireland. It's time they tackled the situation.
The Gardai can only function with the support of the people. People who brand anyone who talks to the police as "rats" deserve any crime that comes their way.

. I wish I hadn't this viewpoint, but the Gardaí are not filling me with confidence that all of them are doing what they should be doing.

What should they be doing?
Reading the reports of the barbaric murder of a 17yr old, they seemed to have pretty good intelligence on the threat, and where to carry out searches afterwards.
I would be confident at this point that charges will be brought forward.

The Gardai can only function with the support of the people. People who brand anyone who talks to the police as "rats" deserve any crime that comes their way.

True but also the people have to have confidence that the Gardai can protect them if they do come forward.

I can't fathom why crime is never much of an election issue. The whole criminal justice system needs to be overhauled and properly resourced. If the political will was there crime could be tackled. As crime reduced the costs of keeping on top of it would reduce in tandum.

What should they be doing?
Reading the reports of the barbaric murder of a 17yr old, they seemed to have pretty good intelligence on the threat, and where to carry out searches afterwards.
I would be confident at this point that charges will be brought forward.

1. What should they be doing:- (a) For a start they should be arresting suspects. (b) Making life as difficult as possible for criminals (c) Work in tandem with Revenue along income tax lines etc (d) Confiscate criminal assets (e) Don't pay Social Welfare to them (f) Enlist the help of our Defence forces.
2. Is our Justice system working?:- We have to look at the way our courts do business e.g. selection of jury, free legal aid to criminals dripping in wealth, Political Will must be harnessed. Cut many prisoners' "rights." Extend prison sentences and reduce parole.
3. I'm not confident that the murderers in this case will serve prison time.

If social welfare isn't paid to them, then how do they survive, yes by thieving again. Pointless "solution".

Is our Justice system working?:- We have to look at the way our courts do business e.g. selection of jury, free legal aid to criminals dripping in wealth, Political Will must be harnessed. Cut many prisoners' "rights." Extend prison sentences and reduce parole.

I expect there is a very strong likelihood that the perpetrators of the murder of Keane Mulready Woods already have a charge sheet as long as your arm and in a country with a functioning justice system would still be in prison serving time for their previous convictions. We need to get serious about tackling organised drugs gangs or just legalise it.

If social welfare isn't paid to them, then how do they survive, yes by thieving again. Pointless "solution".
Oh, well then...carry on as you were!
Social Welfare, in theory, is supposed to be a help at a certain stage in your life....not pocket money while you live a life of crime

If long sentences and lots of police were the solution then the USA would have no crime.
This is aa symptom of a broader social problem. Those on the extreme left in Solidarity and the Shinners etc deliberately misrepresent the root cause as being poverty but poverty is just a symptom of the problem.
The root cause is a mindset which does not value the social contract, does not value knowledge and education, does not value abiding by the law and does not value integrity and honesty, It's sometime called "working class pride".
The solution is education. Nothing else will work.
Legal Aid is a waste because most of those being charged have been in the system since they were teenagers, starting with minor possession charges, minor theft charges, minor violence charges etc and graduating up the the heavier stuff as they get older and deeper in. It is utterly pointless sending these people to prison as it is not a punishment but rather a school of crime. Rehab, enforced education, community service etc. would all be better options.

If long sentences and lots of police were the solution then the USA would have no crime....
The solution is education. Nothing else will work.

Policing and prisons has to be part of the solution.
Whatever about the next generation, education isn't going to do anything for those who are already out there in these gangs.
Community service and rehab ain't going to do anything for the kind of people who have already reached the stage of carrying out murders.

Whatever about the next generation, education isn't going to do anything for those who are already out there in these gangs.
Community service and rehab ain't going to do anything for the kind of people who have already reached the stage of carrying out murders.
Sure, we still have to treat the symptoms but we also need to stop behaving as if those symptoms are the root cause. No amount of police or welfare or prisons or houses or handouts will change things if that hindset is still there.
The guys running things and doing the killing? Lock them up. I'd like to see minimum tarif sentences. If someone is convicted for directing a criminal organisation I'd give life with a minimum of 50 years to serve. The guys doing the killing should get less. Maybe amend the 1996 Proceeds of Crime Act so that assets are not just ceased but those who use them are criminally liable; "We're taking your house and you'll spend 10 years in prison because you lived in it". We need to target the money and the people who control it. Taking a €100k car from someone who earns €40 a week is no big deal to them. Giving them 5 years in prison because they had the car, that might make a difference.

It's clichéd but we need to be both tough on crime and tough on the causes. But we must manage the expectations of miscreants that there will be consequences for their actions. They should expect to get caught, tried and sentenced in a short time-frame. The criminal justice system we have currently is not up to the job.

But we must manage the expectations of miscreants that there will be consequences for their actions. They should expect to get caught, tried and sentenced in a short time-frame. The criminal justice system we have currently is not up to the job.
Sure, but that's like buying a really good mop when you've a leak instead of hiring a plumber.

Back