The Election Issues

Believe the Garda crime figures? Ah come on lads. 1 million drink-drive tests falsified, EU money for police training ends up in the private bank accounts, points cancelled or prosecutions fail to take place depending on your status or importance to the local Garda hierarchy (or you place in it), Templemore Garda College finances read like some fairy story, State property rented out by Guards for their own profit, need I mention Donegal, all of which is on top of successive Garda mangement groups re-classifying and de-classifying certain crimes into "headline" (reportable) and "non-headline" crime. In other words stuff that gets attention at press conferences and crime that is unsolved or insoluble (burglaries / non-fatal offences against the person / motoring, etc)

. What should they be doing:-

Hi @Leper, apologies, I misread your previous quote as being specific to the murder of Keane Woods. My bad.

You list a number of factors that I would expect there is already a great deal of co-operation on. But the scale of the problem is massive in my view. We here about the brutal murders and shootings but underneath that is epidemic problem where drugs are now available in every town in the country.
Drugs are easily smuggled into the country. I certainly don't know what the answer is.

We need more Gardaí visible on the streets 24/7. Gardaí must earn the respect they've lost over the years. Sitting shotgun in a squad car is not good enough. Even this alone is not enough in the fight against crime.

We need the Gardaí to be empowered to search where and who they like. A police force is useless with one hand tied behind its back.

Something needs to be done with the easy bail situation also. I reckon there should be no bail for those on murder or drugs charges.

While I was on the Luas in Dublin recently a guy got on almost directly from court and it was a cause of celebration with himself and his buddies that he had received only a suspended sentence. Of course, they had to let everybody on the Luas know.

Universal Social Charge (USC):- This was introduced in 2011 and was supposed to be a temporary measure. Nearly 9 years later it is still being charged. If you're really clued in, it might be part of your questioning to the canvassers at your door.

Who needs a Tardis ?
Welcome back to the early 2000’s - pension increases , reinstatement of 65 as the pension entitlement age , public sector pay increases , thousands more to be employed in health and policing sectors , 50,000 more social houses .

The Shinners let the mask slip, with a councillor from West Dublin pointing out his dislike of a guy foreigner running the country.
At least Paddy Holohan can look after himself if the Shinners revert to their usual methods of keeping people in line.
Some day Mary Lou or Paddy Holohan Will hug you so tight that all of your broken pieces will stick back together again
,;)
Have you seen FG proposed on USC and tax,
Can only mean more taxes for there High earning second class supporters who give them there no 1 vote,
all truth is good but not all truth is good to say,

Last edited:
Who needs a Tardis ?
Welcome back to the early 2000’s - pension increases , reinstatement of 65 as the pension entitlement age , public sector pay increases , thousands more to be employed in health and policing sectors , 50,000 more social houses .
All the factors which led to the crash in the first place...

SF proposing a wealth tax of 1% on XS over €1m. So let's consider a moderately successful public servant retiring on a pension of say €40k. At today's rates this earnings related pension would be worth at least €2m. Maybe the family home and a modest holiday home give another €0.5m. So XS wealth is €1.5m, wealth tax is €15k. From a pension of €40k? :(

SF proposing a wealth tax of 1% on XS over €1m. So let's consider a moderately successful public servant retiring on a pension of say €40k. At today's rates this earnings related pension would be worth at least €2m. Maybe the family home and a modest holiday home give another €0.5m. So XS wealth is €1.5m, wealth tax is €15k. From a pension of €40k? :(
As far as I know family home, family farm and family businesses are excluded, as are pension pots. It does beg the question "What's left?" and how much will to raise?
I'd also like to know how much their extra 5% income tax on someone earning over €140k a year will net.
I suspect that they are still quite a bit away from the €10 billion in spending commitments that they have made. They'd have to rob the Northern Bank every day of the year to pay for that!

As far as I know family home, family farm and family businesses are excluded, as are pension pots. It does beg the question "What's left?" and how much will to raise?
I suspected as much which shows just how unfair any wealth tax would be in its implementation. Someone who has not a formal pension and who did not buy a family home, would need €2.5m to have the same economic status as my example public servant.

It would also cause a huge surge in the upper end of the housing market as people rushed to convert as much of their wealth as possible into the "family" home. I thought Fierce was meant to be a financial wizard.

Last edited:
When I see a political party announce that someone earning over €X thousand or €Y million is rich, I know their numbers are BS. They're attention seeking figures. Crass populism.

Back