The effective tax rate for a retired couple on €50k?

@Protocol, the thread title is about effective tax rates for over 65s.

All other things being equal, there is very little difference in the effective rates of income tax and USC paid by couples with a combined income of €50,000, who are under or over 65 - a little over 2%.

I assume that at least one of your parents is over 70 in order to receive the Household Benefit Package, which is not means tested.

The State Pension
@Protocol, the thread title is about effective tax rates for over 65s.

All other things being equal, there is very little difference in the effective rates of income tax and USC paid by couples with a combined income of €50,000, who are under or over 65 - a little over 2%.

I assume that at least one of your parents is over 70 in order to receive the Household Benefit Package, which is not means tested.
The State Pension age is 66 so "Retired" is anyone who is over that age. Those over 70 are also retired for the purposes of this conversation.

I'm happy to see some logical and rational proposals starting to creep into the discussion about how we will fund our aging population. This proposal to means test home help is fair and reasonable. Expect outrage from the most entitled group in society.

I'm happy to see some logical and rational proposals starting to creep into the discussion about how we will fund our aging population. This proposal to means test home help is fair and reasonable. Expect outrage from the most entitled group in society.

Yep, I'd support it 100%. The missus and I are getting so much free money from the gubberment (aka the Hard Working Irish Taxpayer - HWIT) that we'd hardly miss the few bob.

Mind you, irrespective of whether we are asked to contribute towards the cost of home help or whether the HWIT will continue to fund it for us, I reckon that there will still be a huge problem in recruiting enough people to work as home helps.

You are good.

7.2%

They get:
  • 2 full medical cards
  • 2 free travel passes
  • free TV licence
  • 35 pm / 420 pa off the electricity bill
For a lot of pensioners on €50k a year the value of the above for two people is more than the €300 a month they pay in tax. Not all, but certainly many.

Mind you, irrespective of whether we are asked to contribute towards the cost of home help or whether the HWIT will continue to fund it for us, I reckon that there will still be a huge problem in recruiting enough people to work as home helps.
Those roles will be filled by all those immigrants, coming over here to "steal" the jobs we are unwilling to do or don't have the skills to do.

Back