The effective tax rate for a retired couple on €50k?

Protocol

I just did the income tax return for my retired parents.
Income = 49.5k.

Guess the effective rate of tax and USC?

You are good.

7.2%

They get:
  • 2 full medical cards
  • 2 free travel passes
  • free TV licence
  • 35 pm / 420 pa off the electricity bill

Such a great country.

Other countries might provide more benefits, but would charge more than 7.2% tax on nearly 50k income.

It’s why it’s so frustrating when some people say that there is no point in paying into a pension because your tax rate in retirement is going to be 40%.

For many people it simply isn’t

It’s why it’s so frustrating when some people say that there is no point in paying into a pension because your tax rate in retirement is going to be 40%.

For many people it simply isn’t
I presume you mean this hoary old debate?

I presume you mean this hoary old debate?
Yes exactly. Just checked 26 likes on my post and interestingly no defamatory remarks from the usual AAM trolls even though it’s about tax. Maybe they were having their bridge repaired that day

You are good.

7.2%

They get:
  • 2 full medical cards
  • 2 free travel passes
  • free TV licence
  • 35 pm / 420 pa off the electricity bill

Such a great country.

Other countries might provide more benefits, but would charge more than 7.2% tax on nearly 50k income.
A very interesting calculation !, and If they both have private pension income, and income stays the same, they will have an extra €200 tax credits in 2022, (personal credit & paye credits both up by €50 each for 2022)they should edge the effective rate, to just under 7%, allthough the €5 state pension increase, will eat into some of that

It's a while since I looked at the numbers but €50k is inside the top 25% of incomes for retired households.

There are maybe a few unusual cases where someone is near the SFT but this is not the case for the vast, vast majority of people. They will get relief at the higher rate and draw down at the lower rate.

Ireland's income tax system is unusually progressive, moving from zero to low to high marginal rates very quickly. This is the reason why tax-relieved pension contributions almost always make sense.

Reactions: mtk
It's a while since I looked at the numbers but €50k is inside the top 25% of incomes for retired households.

There are maybe a few unusual cases where someone is near the SFT but this is not the case for the vast, vast majority of people. They will get relief at the higher rate and draw down at the lower rate.

Ireland's income tax system is unusually progressive, moving from zero to low to high marginal rates very quickly. This is the reason why tax-relieved pension contributions almost always make sense.
But only if your combined income for retirement is under the threshold for higher tax (i.e. €70800 is it?)

CSO finds that mean nominal household income for a two-person household with one person over 65 is €38k.

They don't have distributions but very few will be >€70k.
Wow, €700 a week with no mortgage, a medical card, free travel etc. That's a very comfortable income.

Back