The Director General of RTE wants an increase in the licence fee ... seriously ????

I think it's 250k per annum. Prob some sort of top ups after that which aren't publicised

That's a serious basic salary, for a company that is making very heavy losses !

Do you know where you got that salary from (back in 2011, Noel Curran was apparently getting a basic salary of €250k per this article) ?

I'm probably confusing the 250k from what Curran was getting.
I'm after googling there the past half hour and cannot find anything on Forbes salary. So the chances are that she's on well more than that 250k

I suspect the same, having also tried to find it.

Ms. Forbes seems to have been in a good job with Discovery, so I doubt they got her in on a cheap rate.

Not overly surprised that we cannot find her remuneration package, no more than RTE won't publish the list of their high earners at the moment, as the odds are it would be bad press for them at a time when they are trying to play the poor mouth in desperate need of a licence fee increase.

I agree with the suggestion of not bringing up the female workers wages to meet the level of pay that the men receive. The mens wages should be brought DOWN to the level of the female wages in most cases anyway. The top earners both men and women are far too high.
If this was done there would be no need to increase the licence fee at all, which is too high at present , in my opinion.
After listing the top earners wages the Government should also list the people who are in arrears for their car parking and drinks etc.

I'll make the point again that while the top earners in RTE are on big money the average pay is €57k and RTE employ just under 2000 people.
The average pay in the ESB is €85,000 and they employ nearly 8000 people.
This isn't just an RTE problem, in fact RTE are nowhere near the worst when it comes to high employee pay rates.
That about all the other semi-state's, former semi-state's which operate a monopoly or virtual monopoly and other Sate bodies, many of which we have never hear of?
Irish water lifted the lid on how the State is run, or more particularly how bodies delivering state provided services are run.
There's over 100,000 people paid by the HSE. That's right; one in every 20 people why works in Ireland is paid by the HSE.

The waste and duplication in Irish water was staggering; 2000 people employed there that they said they didn't need or want. That's been cut but most of them have been "redistributed" back to the local authorities they came from so they can do bugger-all somewhere else.
The bigger the organisation the more places there are to hide. How much dead wood is there in the HSE?

I think we are having the wrong discussion again.

I'll make the point again that while the top earners in RTE are on big money the average pay is €57k and RTE employ just under 2000 people.
The average pay in the ESB is €85,000 and they employ nearly 8000 people.
This isn't just an RTE problem, in fact RTE are nowhere near the worst when it comes to high employee pay rates.
That about all the other semi-state's, former semi-state's which operate a monopoly or virtual monopoly and other Sate bodies, many of which we have never hear of?
Irish water lifted the lid on how the State is run, or more particularly how bodies delivering state provided services are run.
There's over 100,000 people paid by the HSE. That's right; one in every 20 people why works in Ireland is paid by the HSE.

The waste and duplication in Irish water was staggering; 2000 people employed there that they said they didn't need or want. That's been cut but most of them have been "redistributed" back to the local authorities they came from so they can do bugger-all somewhere else.
The bigger the organisation the more places there are to hide. How much dead wood is there in the HSE?

I think we are having the wrong discussion again.

Purple I think some of your earlier postings on Irish water you were all for the bigger organisation .The problem with Irish water was the Government who set it up did things to Irish water that were more left wing than People Before Profit and SF put together.
If we had a Government made up of People Before Profit and SF we would not have allowed them to do to Irish water what the last Government forced Irish water to take on,After all it was supposed to be reform,

.....I think we are having the wrong discussion again.

No, we are not having the wrong discussion "again" ... we are having the right discussion about RTE, there just needs to be another one about the HSE, another about the ESB etc.

Start the new discussion threads, rather than repeating yourself here as there are some things in common with RTE, but other things different in respect of the likes of the HSE, but people need to get involved in these conversations, open their eyes, start speaking out against all of the things that are wrong in this country etc !

Suggestion on The Journal... sell the entire RTE site in Ballsbridge for €200 million + and decentralise RTE:
http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/mov...ale-of-the-donnybrook-studio-3524634-Aug2017/

In some ways, this is a great suggestion but it's not entirely practical at the same time.

Sure, it makes a lot of sense to sell property in a very expensive location and relocate the staff and facilities to other cheaper locations. But it also makes sense to divest from certain non core assets within RTE - we don't need two tv stations and a half dozen (or more) national radio stations. Thats not what the public service broadcaster needs, we've lots of competition in the commercial world for both tv and radio, so no need for the state to provide commercial entertainment stations. Then, lets see what's left and what can be run from different parts of the country without causing any technical problems - assuming parts of RTE can be run from outside Dublin, then the more of it that can be operated in other parts of Ireland without significant additional cost, the better !

Purple I think some of your earlier postings on Irish water you were all for the bigger organisation .The problem with Irish water was the Government who set it up did things to Irish water that were more left wing than People Before Profit and SF put together.
If we had a Government made up of People Before Profit and SF we would not have allowed them to do to Irish water what the last Government forced Irish water to take on,After all it was supposed to be reform,
It was set up just like every other public body. Therefore the waste and duplication was the same as every other public body.

As for RTE; a number of years ago the top earners were all contractors so RTE wasn't paying their pensions.
That's a significant reduction in the total cost in the longer term. What is needed is clear information on the nature and term of the contracts of the top earners.

Finally, some sort of sign that RTE are not going to be given a blank cheque, while they continue to "enjoy the good life"....

RTÉ warned to cut costs before any funding rise

Although they still don't want to disclose any more on salaries than they absolutely had to ...

Personally, I don't want to see every staff member's name beside their salary, but I do want to know things like how many staff members are being paid more than €100k per year and what their role is.

I also want to know about the full list of benefits which come with being an RTE employee, for anyone earning €100k per year or more.

My feeling is that there are a lot of good, hard working people in RTE who earn their money and I've no problem with them being rewarded for that they do, but I also suspect there are a lot of people out in Donnybrook earning a lot more than they need to be getting to do their jobs - be it through direct salary, or overall remuneration packages.

People earning above €100k pa at RTE should be few and far between...

Last edited:
People earning above €100k pa at RTE should be few and far between...
I'm sure there are very few people earning over €100,000 a year in RTE so that's not the issue. The issue is the number being paid over €100,000 a year. ;)

It's a pity they don't say the same thing to the HSE.

I think that the scary thing is that these organisations need to be told to get their costs under control... in the HSE's case I would say... we're not going to talk about more funding until you can shown you have costs under control - any new funding will be very for specific initiatives \ projects \ treatments only.

In RTE's case I would say, you're not getting more funding, cut your cloth accordingly and start thinking about how you can increase your revenue.

It's a pity they don't say the same thing to the HSE.

While I think many would agree that there's a problem at the HSE, it's a far tougher one to deal with given it's the public health service.

Getting back to RTE, I'd agree with Odyssey06 at least until RTE is made fit for purpose again. It's grown completely out of control with this silly belief that the are a commercial broadcaster. While they may offer commercial advertising, thats simply to supplement revenue from the license fee and the state - but they are a public service broadcaster and not a state owned broadcaster set up to try and compete with Sky, Ch.4 etc.

Back