the day enda lost the next election-awful

NOAH

well just seen enda on vincent browne and all I can say is the sooner the next election arrives the better. that man needs to move along quietly into obscurity.

the most heartless and disgusting performance I have ever seen by a so called human being.

they should hang their heads in shame.

Bertie’s apology cost the state €1’000’000’000.
The religious orders were meant to pay half of that. The paid 15%.
Maybe this time the government is engaging their brain before they open their mouth.

well if enda is demonstrating a brain then god help us.

[broken link removed]

and the most horrible part is when the clip of shatter is played. To be fair lets add a bit FINE GAEL knew in 2009 what everyone else knew had happened but when the report was published they behave as if it was all new information.

Its a given that compensation will have to be paid.

dont want to defend enda here, but really he would have said exactly what he was told to say by the legal 'back room' boys! thats how it works

There is no indication that the surviving women are looking for huge payouts, but there are problem as a consequence of them being non PAYE/PRSI workers and as a result have not pension entitlements which is something which needs to be addressed. BUT this nasty behaviour by the Government as some kind of slap down for potential claims is disgusting, do they not realise that sometimes we just need to acknowledge wrong has been done and apologise, its been a long time coming and won't in iteself cost a penny. Whatever the consequences are for Kenny and FG in this, it may be the straw that will send Labour out into the political desert for the foreseeable

I think this was handled poorly - I think someone in the Attorney General's office didn't have the wit to come up with a form of words that enabled an apology to be made that didn't imply the Government was liable for payments. But, I don't think it's really that big of a deal.

I fail to see how the previous poster thinks this is more damaging to Labour than to Fine Gael.

The difference between contributory and non-contributory pensions is very small at the moment so I don't see how the cost given the small numbers affected could be of concern.

Presumably Revenue will now go after the orders looking for PRSI payments? Hopefully the State will go after the orders more fully now for all the money they've cost the State.

Bit unfair to say Bertie's apology cost the State all that money. Wasn't like the apology was used in Court to get a huge settlement.

The UK Government seems to be able to apologise quiet regularly. Always wonder about the people in the AG office. Sometimes they seem afraid of seeing the inside of a court. How many times in recent years have the previous and current Government hidden behind so called legal advice.

Of course the survivors ( and potentially next of kin, children of etc) of the Magdelene Laundries are going to look for financial compensation, both for the simple non-payment of wages, prsi etc but also for the abuse they suffered, the deprivation of freedom, the abuse and the trauma etc etc. I've been listening to a few of the survivors interviewed on the radio over the last few days and almost without exception the issue of compensation is raised. Most people would probably agree that they should be entitled to it. The problem with the government issuing an apology on behalf of the state is that they don't want to admit full liability as there is also the Church's role to be considered. Are both liable- is one more liable than the other-where does the compensation come from? Sure a form of wording could have been cobbled together that Kenny could have spouted being an insincere legalistic non-prejudicial 'apology' but in my view that would have been a worse insult. What has happened in the past because of the failure of the state to step in and protect these vulnerable children and young women ( and some not so young) cannot be altered now. Actions will speak louder than words.

The thing I was most shocked about was the number of women incarcerated for infanticide. Considering SIDS (Cot Death) is not a rare thing and that infant mortality rates were higher in the 1920’s to the 1950’s it is sickening to think that young women who had to go through the grief of losing a child were then faced with being blamed for killing that child.
My own sister died at one and a half in the last 1970’s. I wonder if it had happened in the 1950’s would my mother have been shipped off to the laundry?

What a heartless country Ireland was.

There was a gentleman on the Last Word yesterday evening who told of his mother being sent to a child's home when she was 2 1/2 for begging on the street. She left there at 16 and was raped (the gent on the program was a result of this rape). Because of this she was sent off to the laundry until she was 32 I think and didn't see her son until some time after that when he tracked her down to England. She and others he met asked that he didn't tell their story until they had passed away as they were so ashamed of their history. It was and is so sad. All the while, government and religious institutions were either actively involved in this or turned a blind eye. The last laundry was only closed in 1996.

We seem to be able to find money to pay for so many things in this country that we could do without, so I don't think anyone would begrudge these ladies the compensation they deserve.

Firefly.

Presumably Revenue will now go after the orders looking for PRSI payments?

Sorry, I don't see the relevance of this point. PRSI hardly applies in respect of unpaid work? Do today's prisoners get PRSI credits for work done while incarcerated?

Sorry, I don't see the relevance of this point. PRSI hardly applies in respect of unpaid work? Do today's prisoners get PRSI credits for work done while incarcerated?

Part of the points being raised yesterday was the fact that unpaid work was done which was not recognised on a PRSI basis so the victims cannot qualify for contributory pensions, if the State is to be put on the hook for this then should the "employer" not cough up?

I thought it very cowardly of Enda not to offer an official apology. Its the least he could have done. Don't even start me on the religious orders.

Part of the points being raised yesterday was the fact that unpaid work was done which was not recognised on a PRSI basis so the victims cannot qualify for contributory pensions, if the State is to be put on the hook for this then should the "employer" not cough up?

Sounds to me to be more a potential compensation issue than a PRSI issue, to be honest.

I thought it very cowardly of Enda not to offer an official apology. Its the least he could have done. Don't even start me on the religious orders.

I think the whole authoritarian regime that pervailed in Ireland during those years was horrendous. We can only be thankful that the awful things Church and State did to our women and children is now past. We must never forget their suffering and pain and I feel no money will ever compensate for the terrible things that happened to them.

Kenny should have apologised to the survivoors but we all know any admission of liability will leave the government open to being sued for compensation, money they apparrently don't have at the moment.

I think in time he will be forced into an apology, this saga is not going to go away anytime soon.

I think the whole authoritarian regime that pervailed in Ireland during those years was horrendous. We can only be thankful that the awful things Church and State did to our women and children is now past. We must never forget their suffering and pain and I feel no money will ever compensate for the terrible things that happened to them.

Kenny should have apologised to the survivoors but we all know any admission of liability will leave the government open to being sued for compensation, money they apparrently don't have at the moment.

I think in time he will be forced into an apology, this saga is not going to go away anytime soon.

I would be of the opinion that the death of Savita in Galway was caused by this, so wouldn't be of the opinion that this is now past.

Also the support given by religious groups to the parents in Roscommon who were abusing their children for years to take a High Court action to stop them being taken into care was pretty recent too.

They haven't gone away you know.....

I would be of the opinion that the death of Savita in Galway was caused by this, so wouldn't be of the opinion that this is now past.

Also the support given by religious groups to the parents in Roscommon who were abusing their children for years to take a High Court action to stop them being taken into care was pretty recent too.

They haven't gone away you know.....

Maybe I am gone too long, would hate to think that those attitudes are still pervailing.

The report says the eldest person to be incarcerated into the laundries was 89 years old, it beggars belief, who was resonsible for this?

Back