The cost of getting married in recession - help!

Kildavin As far as I'm aware many guests at weddings are gone back to giving kettles and toasters! My sister got married last Christmas and the house was full of presents the night before they tied the knot. Sadly, A lot of people just don't have much money these days - simple as that.

A previous poster spoke of inviting as many guests as possible; to maximise variable revenues against variable costs. Has anybody actually done this ?

(I also recall Eddie Hobbs' tv show also advising this for a cash-strapped couple)

My sister did this.

@bronte - did it work?

I got married in 2008 and we got a combination of cash & gifts - but no where near the cost of the wedding - maybe the meal & drinks bit, but there can be a lot more to it than that..

I agree that people are no longer able to afford to be so generous - attending a wedding is an expensive thing - and I'm sorry to say I've started to dread getting invites

Our first dance is still not sorted - still work in progress so if anyone knows anywhere good in NYC that would be suitable then please let me knows. Thanks for advice and opinions.

A friend of mine lived in New York for a while and started a company called Wed in Central Park. Since you're looking to keep to a strict budget and not lose the run of yourselves a wedding planner is probably not what you're looking for but you might get some ideas from the blog entries of some of the weddings she's done.

Disclaimer: This is someone who I knew personally when she lived in Germany for a couple of years before moving to the US. I've never used her services and can't offer an opinion on them.

Thanks a million! We already have a wedding planner as part of the package. She's recommending that we use a make-up artist that usually does the elopement weddings but it's costing €400.00 for hair and make-up (she does the hair too). Way too much in my opinion. I'd be expecting a new head of hair for that kind of money and a new face to go with it. I'm thinking of going to Saks & Co. and getting my make-up done by MAC for 50 bucks with a product thrown in. Can't locate a number for MAC in Saks though or an email address. If anyone knows how to contact them then great. Also my hair. I'll freak out if my hair isn't ok. The minute you mention wedding or special occasion people are quoting 180 bucks. Can anyone recommend a good salon that doesn't lose the plot when they hear the word wedding. We are staying in a hotel at park avenue (between 49th and50th street Lexington avenue). Also the planner is looking for 170.00 dollars for my flowers! Seems ridiculous. Or maybe I'm being ridiculous.

We're delighted we're eloping as it's eliminating family politics too and a whole bunch of other stuff - happy days!

One thing getting yoour hair done in the usa is very expenisve i remeber being in vegas and a wash and blow dry was something like 60-70€$.I have looked at haveing a wash and blow dry and it is expenisve out there

Just for the record we're married. Hurray!! I managed to get the hair done for 60 buckaroos, which, for NYC is very good indeed! Got my nails done before leaving Ireland ( I went to a New York nail bar as I found out from voicemail that the owner is from NYC) and while getting the nails done I asked the owner could she recommend anyone. And she did. Also, got the make up do in Saks & Co and she was amazing! Called the day after we arrived and booked it. They wouldn't take me at first but later (after a begging session) they agreed. 50 bucks by the way and a lipstick and lip liner thrown in! And finally, the flower bill stretched to €240 with the wedding planner, so I cut my losses and bought a bunch from a side street florist and it cost us 15 bucks. We went to a proper florist who offered to tidy them up and take one out to make a buttonhole for my hubby. We threw him 20 dollars for being so kind. Sin an sceal.

'Do not try at home' or some would say 'not for the faint hearted' but if you've the presence of mind to sweat it out then go for it!!!

For now, Adios amigos!

BB

Back