The Cheapest Irish Stockbroker

CREST is where shares are reistered electronically in YOUR name. You receive all corespondence direct from registrar/company.

NOMINEE is where shares are held in nominee company. this company is owned by stockbroker and you do not get copies of all correspondence automatically from company, but may get it via broker.

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Crest is a Settlement system only. shares are not held on the system it is a means of tracking and paying for shares.

Share Certs are going to be gotten rid of as they are open to fraud.

The buying and selling of shares works as follows:
You ring your broker to sell the shares and he takes the shares and places them on the crest system into his nominee account. where they are purchased by another broker and they are transfered into the buying brokers nominee account and then when payment and the rightful owner has been established the shares are then transferred in to the buyers name. And share certs are issued and stock transfer forms are taken to the revenue for stamping.

Hi all,

I know that this won't really fit in this thread, but I would like to start buying shares and I'm a little confused as to who I should contact in order to do this - a stockbroker I suppose, should I open a specific account for that, etc.

If someone could give me some advice I'd really appreciate as I really want to get started !

Thanks
Turbidine

Hi to everone who reads this,

I have just joined sharewatch to buy and sell shares, I was with Davy's but found them to expensive. Any news on sharewatch would be a help. News that they dont trade with US stock is worrying. Any updates on this subject would be a help.

thanks

Try "Dogs of the Dow" on the web and sift through their unbelievably interesting site and you will find several very competitive stockbrokers names, ranging from 7 to 20 dollars per trade. You may even decide to stay with this site and spend your money on the dogs!

Hi guys,

My father was issued with 200 shares in Friends Provident a while back as he had a Pension with them (I think, I'm not too familiar with the details of how he got them, it was a surprise to him!). He wants to sell them now, they are worth Stg£420.50 at the moment. Lloyds in the UK are the brokers for the company but won't sell his shares for him as he is not in the UK.

Can anyone suggest which broker would be the cheapest to sell these shares for him. It's a once off transaction so he doesn't want to incur sign-up fees, annual account charges, or pay 15% broker fees for executing 1 transaction. Is this possible?

Any help to a sharedealing novice would be appreciated.

Hi there,

I'm very new to this... I have 15K Euro I'd like to invest with an on-line stockbroker... Which would be the preferrable one in your opinion pls? Am I too "emotional" if when I go -10% I start selling?

Thanks

IMHO, -10% is a bit low for a single holding (I am assuming that the market is not moving much up or down) - I would expect that movement of a single share could be + or - 10% and still be considered almost normal. If this is too scary for you, then an investment in a pooled fund or ETF would seem more appropriate.

godfather, check out some previous threads about pooled funds and efts (as jpg has suggested) on this website. u should seek advice before investing in shares. there are plenty of tipsters giving advice on share to buy in 2007 but like anyone else they dont know whats going to happen to effect share prices. I would suggest diversifying your portfolio so you are not at risk to any one market condition. ie, if you only buy ryanair and the price of oil sores this will have a detremental effect on your 15k but if you invest in a number of different industries it wont have such an adverse effect on your money. make sure you read the small print as you will need to know about switching to other funds and the exit fees and management fees associated with the fund.

i have returned from the US and am still reeling at the outrageous fees for retail investing. I have an Ameritrade account in the U.S. and they are a perfectly adequate low cost broker.

I still want a low cost broker in Europe. Has anyone experience with TD Waterhouse in the UK? they are at [broken link removed]. Ameritrade took over TD Waterhouse in the US a while ago, though I assume the UK TDW is independent of the US outfit.

Each transaction costs STG 12.50. You can have a EUR denominated account, as well as USD/STLG/CAN$.There are no maintenance fees as long as your balance is above STLG 5,000 or you make one trade per quarter. If you're buying EUR denominated ETFs/funds then there won't be any FX charges. If you are buying e.g. a Japan ETF, then there will be a 1.5% FX charge on the exchange rate.

This sounds a hell of a lot better than Davy or Goodbodys.

Any feedback on the above? I am surprised TDW didn't come up as an option on this posting so far.

This sounds a hell of a lot better than Davy or Goodbodys.

Any feedback on the above? I am surprised TDW didn't come up as an option on this posting so far.

They don't offer trading in Irish shares afaik so don't belong in this thread so Sharewatch is still the cheapest place if you want to trade in Irish shares.
For grey market shares such as Airtricity then it's Goodbody's, Davy's or the like.

Hmm. I think my post is relevant. Let me explain more clearly:

With TD Waterhouse UK, you can trade Irish shares that have a listing on the London Stock Exchange, with 1% stamp duty charge applying as usual. Most major irish companies have a listing on the LSE e.g. you can buy ALBK (AIB) in a EURO denominated account - therefore no FX charges, and only STG12.50 per trade. That is the only cost. You may even be able to buy the ISEQ ETF (Ticker: IETF.XE) on the Frankfurt exchange using TD Waterhouse again via a EURO account, though I have to confirm that.

Sharewatch charges EUR60 annual fee. Online trades are 0.3% + EUR19.95.

TDW UK - no annual fee. Online trades STG12.50

Surely TDW UK is relevant ?... Is this post for the cheapest way to buy irish stocks, OR cheapest broker in ireland to buy irish stocks, OR cheapest broker in ireland to buy foreign issues??... apologies for my confusion... Maybe there are other sharewatch advantages i am not aware of?

I think it is less confusing to separate trading ISEQ listed shares from LSE or other exchanges. It is very true to say that Irish shares with dual listings can be traded as described but then every other brokerage that includes LSE should be considered Irish too. Possibly the NYSE also if AIB is the measure used NYSE:AIB.
There is a thread on non Irish brokerages referenced earlier in this thread that would be more relevant for the pros and cons of TDW UK versus other brokers.

I am also interested in an answer to this Yorky! I want to invest 10k directly and am trying to get a handle on how much it will cost to buy shares in 5 diff companies.

another question on Sharewatch - why are they not in the IFRSA cost survey of stockbrokers - do they fall into a different catergory? I just want to ensure they are bonafide, before I start buying shares with them.

With TD Waterhouse UK, you can trade Irish shares that have a listing on the London Stock Exchange, with 1% stamp duty charge applying as usual. Most major irish companies have a listing on the LSE e.g. you can buy ALBK (AIB) in a EURO denominated account - therefore no FX charges, and only STG12.50 per trade. That is the only cost. You may even be able to buy the ISEQ ETF (Ticker: IETF.XE) on the Frankfurt exchange using TD Waterhouse again via a EURO account, though I have to confirm that.

Just to close out above point: on the LSE, you can can trade 16 (all the big ones) out of the 30 odd ISEQ listings. However, there is no market for the ISEQ ETF on the Frankfurt Exchange, so you can't use TDW to trade the ISEQ ETF. I'll move my post to the one you refer to.

I am also interested in an answer to this Yorky! I want to invest 10k directly and am trying to get a handle on how much it will cost to buy shares in 5 diff companies.

With Sharewatch, if you buy 5 stocks with 10K (2K each) then this will cost you annual fee (=60) + 0.3% (=30) + 20 per security (=100) +1% stamp duty (=100).

Your total Year 1 cost with Sharewatch to buy 5 securities would be 290.

Your other option is to buy the more diversified ISEQ ETF. This will lower you transaction costs, and provide you with a better risk profile (a 5 stock porfolio will have way more variable returns than an index based ETF). You would save 80 on transaction fees as well. The down side is that the ETF will deduct annual management fees (typically 0.5 to 0.8% for ETFs). My personal view is that you need a lot more than 10K to build a diversified enough portfolio of stocks, without getting hammered by trading costs.

I'd agree that it is not really worth opening an Irish brokerage account with 10K trying to build a share portfolio. Even if you wanted to buy the ISEQ ETF the cheapest deal available is Sharewatch so taking a five year plus view it would cost at least 900 euros excluding the ETF charges (??? 0.5%). It looks like funds such as Quinn Life are the best current option for small investors.
There are non Irish stockbrokers who may be worth considering if Irish shares are not required.

hi,

I contacted Campbell O Connor today on the phone and I can get the certs done for 30 euro each (plus 1% stamp duty) so that is 250 euro all in and this is a once off fee. As I don't plan to trade and hope to hold onto these certs for the long term, I think this is an ok 'entrance fee.'

Hope that helps you too Yorkie.

I'm interested in buying about $25,000 worth of shares in an American company. Has anyone any suggestions as to the best way to go about it?
Any input greatly appreciated...

Back