The Book People - January Sale

Smashbox

Books from €1.50

Some great items at cheap prices for any bookworms out there

[broken link removed]

Had a look at that site. I see you have the option of buying five Richard & Judy "reads" for €15, which seems grand. When you look closer it originally says STG £10.

Not a great rate of exchange. Unless it is additional postage costs pushing up the prices.

They charge more for postage to Ireland - standard postal charge to UK mainland is £3.50, to Ireland it's €7.99 so the £10/€15 price seems to be little more than another generous exchange rate!

I notice that the standard delivery to NI is £7!

Posted this on another thread....checked their post Xmas exchange rate & it's still seemed to be the same

sam h [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Frequent Poster[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Posts: 639 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] [B]Re: sterling/euro differences in shop prices.[/B] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I was about to order some books from the book people (on line) until I realised their rate of exchange is, on average, [U][B]double[/B][/U].[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]They said it's down to size population & postage, but they already factor that in as they charge more for postage, or you have to order a heck of alot more to get free delivery. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]They won't let me order through the UK site, so I guess they won;t be getting my business until they review their pricing.[/SIZE]
[/quote]

It'd be good to use that site as a comparison, as The Book People do seem cheaper on some items

Postage in Ireland is way more than Royal Mail btw

I agree Smashbox, I would expect to pay more in Ireland, even allowing for the exchange rate. But they ship from the UK, so they should be able to adjust their rates. 2 to 1 is not even in the realm of reality (a UK price of £8.99 translated to €17.99 for a set of books - they are still a fairly OK price if I didn't have to pay the postage, but I refused to pay "Paddy Prices"). I could live with a 1.2 rate.

Back