The Big Switch- anyone been switched yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
.... I am presuming that the changeover will be at the reading that I gave them so even if there is a delay I will still get the benefit of in my case a 14% saving.....

Don't presume any such thing. Under the Irish electricity industry rules, suppliers have a limited time in which to switch a customer as from a particular date and reading. It is clear that neither Bord Gais nor Airtricity will be able to meet that deadline in all cases due to the backlog of applications they have. Many customers will be switched as from the next ESB Networks scheduled reading in which case they will lose out on the cheaper prices for the electricity used in the meantime.

Regards,

Fnergg

Thanks Fnergg but as my meter had just been read what I mean is that I am presuming that the 60 day limit will (hopefully) mean that I will not bill again in the meantime and will change at the reading I gave. Are there set billing periods in the ESB?

Thanks Fnergg but as my meter had just been read what I mean is that I am presuming that the 60 day limit will (hopefully) mean that I will not bill again in the meantime and will change at the reading I gave. Are there set billing periods in the ESB?

The ESB's - and all other supplier's - billing periods are every two months.

If your meter has just been read and Bord Gais have yet to switch you over to their system you will get your normal bill from the ESB any day now.

Whether Bord Gais will eventually switch you over from the reading and date you supplied (they should) or if they will use the reading just obtained by ESB Networks or if they will wait another two months for the next reading is anyone's guess.

The situation is becoming increasingly confused. I would phone Bord Gais and establish exactly what they intend to do as regards your switch. Being told that it could take up to 60 days is not helpful. What you need to know is what date and reading you will be switched from as this will determine if you need to pay your next ESB bill or not.

Regards,

Fnergg

The ESB's - and all other supplier's - billing periods are every two months.

If your meter has just been read and Bord Gais have yet to switch you over to their system you will get your normal bill from the ESB any day now.

Whether Bord Gais will eventually switch you over from the reading and date you supplied (they should) or if they will use the reading just obtained by ESB Networks or if they will wait another two months for the next reading is anyone's guess.

The situation is becoming increasingly confused. I would phone Bord Gais and establish exactly what they intend to do as regards your switch. Being told that it could take up to 60 days is not helpful. What you need to know is what date and reading you will be switched from as this will determine if you need to pay your next ESB bill or not.

Regards,

Fnergg

Ive been an Airtricity customer for 6 months and they bill monthly

I however just today received a letter from Bord Gais confirming my switch to them. These are being sent when BGE is confirmed as the registered supplier or so the text describes

I don't think Bord Gais could tell you when they plan to switch as its dependent on Networks sending out their confirmation messages and this will depend on a number of things; meter reading supplier, objection from old supplier (for a legimite reason; not just because they dont want to lose you) and potentially any backlog Networks may have

If I was going to speak to Bord Gais, Id ask them to
a) confirm whether you are in the queue or in their system awaiting information from Networks
b) which reading date they are going to use i.e. provided by you or Networks

I'd be interested to hear though whether they would answer either question..

clickity thinks a phone call to save 10% is too much hassle.

Wish I had money to waste like that for the want of a few minutes on the web or phone.

Great post do you work for the ESB by any chance?

If nobody bothered to shop around there would be no competition. This is beyond apathy.

Ive been an Airtricity customer for 6 months and they bill monthly

I however just today received a letter from Bord Gais confirming my switch to them.

SLS just curious, why did you move from Airtricity to Bord Gais? Only asking as I'm in the process of switching to Airtricity!!

SLS just curious, why did you move from Airtricity to Bord Gais? Only asking as I'm in the process of switching to Airtricity!!

Ive got gas so BGE is cheaper i.e. 14% because I have gas (2%) and am going to pay my bills by DD (2%) + the 10% original discount

If you don't have gas and you are prepared to go on the Airtricity Payment plan, you are better off with them, as you get 13% as opposed to their 12%

I'm sure 1% is not that much but you never know...

Frank,
I don't work for ESB, but I don't want any of this stress of not knowing time frames etc. eg. 60 days delay because they don't have the staff to deal with it. I'll wait until the dust settles, and then I'll decide whether to move or not. And no it's not apathy, just caution born after many years of watching movers and shakers, many of them biting the dust.!!!!!

Does anyone knows when esb will cut their prices by 10%?

Thhe regulator is currently reviewing the consultation as per below

http://www.cer.ie/en/electricity-re...?article=bc42f318-37bd-4db9-892a-87e43c489c53

I believe they are expected to publish likely results to apply from next week

As it says, it should reflect revised prices from 1st May.

Just in case it isnt clear though, any price that both Airtricity and Bord Gais are currently publishing will be 10 - 14% in addition to these discussed reductions for energy use..

Well I just received my ESB bill as normal despite registering with BG. :mad:

You are just one of several thousand. Bord Gais have received 100,000 applications but have only been able to process a small fraction of that number. Their outsourced call centre processing the applications - Conduit in Dublin - are overwhelmed and are struggling hard trying to cope.

Meanwhile, customers such as you are in a limbo - not knowing when you are going to be billed by BG and from what date and reading. ESB will be sending out their normal two-monthly bills and will be looking for payment until such time as the formal switch transaction is completed at which time ESB will issue a final bill.

You should phone Bord Gais/Conduit at 1850485868 and establish what is your status. And if the agent tells you that the delay is on the ESB side please know that that is a lie. The delay is very definitely on the BGE/Conduit side.

And when eventually you are successfully transferred and are being billed by BG my advice is to very carefully examine every bill. I have grave doubts about the ability of their billing system to cope with the numbers of customers they have taken on.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this will end in tears for many new customers of BG.

Regards,

Fnergg

I just switched to Bord Gáis Energy: I am now in line for get both gas and electricity from them. How much in percentage terms should I expect to save?

I got a call from Bord Gais on Friday and they advised that due to the massive amount of applications there is a huge backlog and I will receive another bill from ESB before my account will be switched.

Airtight - I'm the same and I pay by direct debit, so it's 14% for a while (12% if you don't have direct debit) and 10% if you neither have DD or already have a gas account with them

Received my closing bill from ESB end of last week, with note at bottom saying that as of 8th Apr I am no longer an ESB customer.

Then got a letter from Bord Gais yesterday saying that from 9th I am a customer of theirs, so it looks like all systems go.

I was looking into switching and came across some rather nasty entry fees that both Bord Gais and Airtricity charge. It adds €200 on to the cost of switching. Nasty because they don't advertise them at all on their site.

More info: [broken link removed]

It's a refundable deposit, not a fee or a charge.

If i was already a customer of An Bord Gais I would be looking to have this waived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back