The Belfry - Citywest

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

laura26

hi, i am thinking of buying a house in the Belfry in Citywest, but when i was looking at the house on Friday night, two guards pulled me over and asked me what i was doing in the area, obviously looking for someone else, when i told them why i was there they advised me not to buy in the Belfry because 'the estate is having a lot of problems with car theft etc. mainly due to a through road to Jobstown at the back of the estate'.

i was wondering is there anyone out there who has bought in the Belfry and has experienced or not experienced any problems?

thanks

Laura

Re: The Belfry - Citywest - guards advice

Is this a new estate? Many new estates experience an initial flurry of crime such as burglaries and car theft. Our own was no different (although we never suffered thankfully). That was 10 years ago and these days there doesn't seem to be any untoward problem in that respect. I think that new estates have some sort of attraction for casual and opportunistic criminals such as burglars and car thieves.

Hi laura

Tried to reply to your pm but couldnt for some reason?!

Anyway, yes I live in the Belfry and there was a few break ins that I heard about some weeks back, but thankfully I wasnt one of them. I believe it was the big cars they were after which doesn't apply to me!!!! We've been living there 6 months now and have had no problems whatsoever........As Clubman says its probably just because its a new estate, and these guys will move on somewhere else..........I believe this happens quite often in these new areas, and remember the same thing happening in the Marlfield estate in Tallaght a couple of years back when it too was a new estate.

To answer your q re tips on buying there.......I cant give you any really, but just to say that we're very happy with the area/house although alot of it is still a building site at the moment!! Good luck with your decision anyway!

Hi,my friend lives in the Belfry, in the early hours of the morning couple of months ago his car alarm went off -he looked out the window and saw two guys at his car, he called gaurds on his mobile and he said they were there in no less than five mins.The two guys had legged it when they saw him at window etc..But he tells me that they are always in the area(the Guards).Hence the reason why they stopped u, maybe you were driving very slow past houses and randomly stopping and looking in.They might have thaught this was suspicious. Which I think is great.
I think the Belfry is a great location and value for money. I bought an apartment in Belfry Hall which has still to be built. There is a new shopping centre on its way up and also the Luas will be coming in a few years.Plus the industrial site itself. Can only add value.
Every area has crime, and I think specific areas seem to be targeted at different times no matter where you live.I wouldn't let this put you off.
And as far as I am aware this road only leads into a new Industrial park.If it is the new road at the back of the Belfry eatate you are talking about.? There is no road from Belfry into Jobstown directly.

corco2000 said:
There is no road from Belfry into Jobstown directly.
I think they probably mean the road (fortunestown lane?) going from Citywest into the back of Fettercairn.

Is there a road from De Selby into the Belfry?

Decani said:
Is there a road from De Selby into the Belfry?

Yes, you can turn left at the roundabout coming out of the belfry at de selby and go straight down to the new road that connects jobstown to the Belfry.

Hi there

Does anyone know the actual completion date for Block D in the Belfy Hall development. I was told August then April!!! DNG are not much help. "Million dollar question", I was told when asking about it...I find them really hard to get info from, which can be sort of a pain as they have had a hefty some of my money sitting in their bank acc for the past year!!!
Not even a letter during the year to inform about the progress of the development!!

Also, is anyone querying the Management Company fees...Seem very high €1300??? :)

JenC, hi i was told by a friend who has bought in Block D that April is the completion date (according to builders). Basically DNG have done there job-they have sold all the apartments so hence the reason why they are abit unhelpfull.
I thaught mngt fee was 1200 which is hefty.
Im in Block C which is due for completion in Sep apparently. What I didnt like about DNG was that they told us initially that there was NO social housing in the area...after we bought apt, Wwen I asked about new apartments at the top of Belfry estate, agent told me 'oh thats social housing'!!!
Did you enquire about changing spec like additional spot lights,wardrobes, shower etc...DNG said you can't change spec. Might go directly to builder and see what happens.
I think this is gona be a great location especially when shopping centre and luas is up and running?

Hi Corco,

Thanks for the info.. I did enquire about changing specs. I already have called Laragan Homes and they said the same. Reason - It means they are not subject to delays because of peoples requests and the hold ups that can be experienced with this. Everyone gets the same treatment..

I agree with them to some extent as it can hold up a developement if people are requesting extras..
I am delighted with this puchase because of the €1000 white goods allowance and the fact the tiling is also done for us, Oh and the power shower. I have bought a house before and found tiling a huge time consuming job..So whatever saves me money Im delighted!!
I am very excited about the development and after nearly a year, I feel what we have paid is quite a decent price when you look at the market now.

I enquired about the roads in the area yesterday to S.Dublin Co Co and there are quite a few things I never new, like the short cut throught De Selby and also through Fettercairn. I had seen the road at the roundabout as you come into the Belfry on the left always wondered about it...
Also whats planned for that area is an extension of the Tallaght By-pass, which will eliminate the traffic from the main N81 Blessington Road, altogether. It will by-pass and come out at the embankment...So fingers x they get a move on with that!!

JenC

corco2000 said:
Im in Block C which is due for completion in Sep apparently. What I didnt like about DNG was that they told us initially that there was NO social housing in the area...after we bought apt, Wwen I asked about new apartments at the top of Belfry estate, agent told me 'oh thats social housing'!!!

Where exactly is this??

W, It's the new Block of apartments you can clearly see from the N81 at the top of the Belfry Development.

J, yea I've been looking at 2 bed apartments on myhome.ie recently and I defo think we did well price wise.There isn't very much you can buy now for what we paid for a brnd new development.
I didnt realise that the N81 was due for widening, about time cause this is a seriously dangerous road with heavy volumes...nice one. Can only get better!!!

Re: The Belfry - Citywest - Guards advice

Yes I know, was delighted to hear that, but again we will prob be subjected to waiting- god knows how long!!

Jen

Does anyone know the expected completion date of the shopping center in Citywest? and where in Citywest is the proposed luas line to appear?

Cheers.

The shopping centre is due to be finished 2007.(well suppose to be!!) The luas line is to go as far as citywest hotel

There is a map of the proposed Luas line somewhere but as far as I remember it will cross the Fortunestown Lane/Citywest Road junction where that derelict bungalow is. It will then follow Fortunestown Lane down to Citywest Hotel. There's a stop planned outside the shopping centre where the derelict houses are.

Would just like to point out that 'all' the social housing is not at the top of the estate. I live in belfry grove and it is not social housing!
By law - each new development has to provide a certain amount of affordable housing. And this is mixed in the whole estate along with ordinary buyers - like myself.
So all new developments have a certain amount.
and affordable housing is not the same as social housing.

Also, regarding the access through deselby into jobstown - this is only new. Before my apt was ready this was all closed off.
When I 1st bought the apt D&G said there would be only 1 entrance - the main one at citywest rd. At the moment - there are 4 entrances! they just tell you what you want to hear. Also, nothing was mentioned of the new belfry hall at that stage - even though it was planned. This meant they could sell off all the duplex apartments.
Having said all that, am very happy in Belfry and it must be said the duplex apartments are a lot nice looking than the big blocks at belfry hall!!

Niamo,
''By law - each new development has to provide a certain amount of affordable housing. And this is mixed in the whole estate along with ordinary buyers - like myself'' ...this is not true. They do not have to be mixed amoung everyone. If you read the papers developers are infact paying off the Gov. instead of providing housing. In one paticular case a developer who has bought a site in Ballsbridge and plans to build luxury apartments, will not provide a percentage of these apts to social housing, that be madness in his case.Imagine trying to sell a one bed apt for close to a million and stating that your neighbour will be a social/affordable housing. Instead he is buying and providing a certain amount of housing somewhere else in the country.Which is permitted.
So the fact that this entire block is social housing is believable in my eyes...I think the can do it whatever way the want ie make a large payment and don't provide housing,provide housing mixed in an estate or provide a block of housing.

What I didn't like was DNG telling us it was affordable AFTER I had purchased.Similar to the access roads into the Belfry.Though I they are helpfull short cuts the the morning!
But its up to the residents of Belfry to protest against these roads if they wanted?
And IMO I disagree with you about ''duplex apartments are a lot nice looking than the big blocks at belfry hall!!''
I will have the advantage of looking over your pad and onto the Dublin Mountains as I am on the top floor.Plus Belfry Hall has...
Closed off kitchen
Big storage area/room
Bigger sitting room / dining room
Nicer layout with more windows
Ensuite bathroom
shops below
Secured car parking...etc
And i'm not sure about your pad but in my friends when he or his neighbour turns on a tap there is the most annoying sound ever, whatever that is.

Does anybody know how long it would take to get to Donnybrook for 9.00am each morning from the Belfry?Whats the best way to go?Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back