The auto enrolment favours people in 20% tax band, but not 40% tax band

@PebbleBeach2020 in #12 you said:
So you can get 40% tax relief in one scheme and get your employer and government contributions in another???? I don't see that happening, the abuse levels that private sector people should be doing to take advantage of such an allowance is massive.
You were of course speaking rhetorically as you stated from the outset that it was not the case that you could be in both schemes. In reply to this point I stated that any "abuse" would only arise if folk would be allowed to exceed existing max contribution relief and max fund at retirement - this was the assumption of your counterfactual. You totally misinterpreted my statement but I suppose that is down to my inability to communicate in Cockney rhyming slang.
BTW do you still assert that it is not permissible to have both?

Isn't the whole point of the new scheme to ensure there are a lot more people investing in pensions - the 40% taxpayers are already doing this so the scheme had to be mostly directed at the 20% rate people who aren't currently doing so.
So the "shock" that the scheme is actually more attractive for that cohort rings a bit hollow to me.

Back