The Anglo Tapes. Does anyone have any sympathy for the two guys?

Will we ever reach a 'tipping point' where enough people will say enough is enough and something will be done/change or will we forever be 'outraged' for a few days, do nothing and then wait for the next revelation?

The question is what is the “something”?

We need departments of finance and justice that are capable of writing robust and comprehensive legislation around white collar crime.
We need a central bank that is capable of understanding the banking sector that they are meant to oversee.
We need a financial/banking regulator that understands banking and finances.
We need a public that understand that anger is not a policy or a solution and sound-bites and whipping-boys only serve to mask the deeper systemic issues and failings that are the true root cause of these complex problems and that the solutions to those problems will take years to fully implement.

We need departments of finance and justice that are capable of writing robust and comprehensive legislation around white collar crime.
We need a central bank that is capable of understanding the banking sector that they are meant to oversee.
We need a public that understand that anger is not a policy or a solution and sound-bites and whipping-boys only serve to mask the deeper systemic issues and failings that are the true root cause of these complex problems and that the solutions to those problems will take years to fully implement.

Purple

If I for one minute thought that even half those things would occur in my lifetime I could cling to some small flicker of hope. However my overriding feeling is that my grandchildren will be feeling the same dismay and hopelessness that I feel as these revelation will never end.

The sight of politicians using it as a political football yesterday was yet another low.

We need all the above not political posturing.

No sympathy, but sounded like a couple of guys completely out of their depth. The real ringmasters will not have been stupid enough to discuss anything remotely incriminating over the phone or by mail.
I don't know, the CEO, the Director of Retail and the Director of Capital Markets seem pretty senior to me. Are you suggesting that there is some Professor Moriarty style mastermind behind the whole thing who we will never suspect. Who have you in mind? Daniel O'Donnell? Michelle Obama?

I think the only point most people make is that Anglo was not crucial to the functioning of the Irish economy and if only BOI and AIB were covered by the guarantee we'd have avoided a fair slice of misery.
We will never know how that counterfactual would have played out but I tend to agree with Antoin Murphy (Fall of Celtic Tiger) that by September 2008 the damage was done. I certainly agree that Fingers' outfit should have been allowed hit the wall, including depositors.

Civil Servants don't write legislation they've not been asked to, so there needs to be political will to bring in such legislation, I think the ability is there.

The sight of politicians using it as a political football yesterday was yet another low.

We need all the above not political posturing.

So investigating the reasons for this whole thing will not have any political ramifications?:rolleyes: Typical FF posturing, they know any proper investigation will show just how corrupt that party was and still is.

I don't know, the CEO, the Director of Retail and the Director of Capital Markets seem pretty senior to me. Are you suggesting that there is some Professor Moriarty style mastermind behind the whole thing who we will never suspect. Who have you in mind? Daniel O'Donnell? Michelle Obama?

Mick Wallace!

No seriously, I was encouraged when David Drumm turned up on the tapes, so maybe there is enough recorded info to incriminate himself and Seanie.

I presume all calls - internal and external - were recorded.

Who knows who might turn up?

Marion

Should they not have used their mobiles?

Of course I'm against all crime, but sloppyness is just unforgiveable !!;)

Interesting post-levenson inquiry that no-one seems to have asked who provided the information to the Indo and why now and what isn't being released.

I definitely think it's in the public interest but I would have a concern that it could prejudice a trial, who knows.

Mobile phone records could probably be accessed as well.

While of course they could say who rang who, when and for how long (& then only with the co-operation of the phone providers), I wouldnt have thought the conversations themselves are taped - or at least until we annoy the CIA sufficiently I doubt they are coming to light !!

Interesting post-levenson inquiry that no-one seems to have asked who provided the information to the Indo and why now and what isn't being released.

I definitely think it's in the public interest but I would have a concern that it could prejudice a trial, who knows.

I presume these recordings (I doubt they were actually tapes) were with the Gardai and/or DPP for the last year or so. The leak(s) probably came from one of them.

I presume these recordings (I doubt they were actually tapes) were with the Gardai and/or DPP for the last year or so. The leak(s) probably came from one of them.

Oh yeah I'm fairly sure it's one or the other, I just hope no one got paid for them and that it was done in the public interest rather than for gelt.

Hopefully nobody got paid for the tapes, if so it is very unethical for the Irish Indo to be paying for these tapes (good story or not).

Civil Servants don't write legislation they've not been asked to, so there needs to be political will to bring in such legislation, I think the ability is there.

That's a complete cop-out. There's plenty of legislation in place in this area, it's just no bloody good.

Back