The American economy: keeping track of US economic developments.

Re: The American economy

Another nail in the coffin of the US housing market as the bubble-juice flow is restricted ?

Federal regulators to curb "Lenders gone wild" and move against exotic mortgages.

link

The speed at which the brakes are coming on in US is shocking - witness the downward revisions today. This is looking like a fast down step to a far lower level of growth.

Yet U.S. stocks are booming and the Dow is within spitting distance of its all-time high - 11,750pts on Jan. 14, 2000.

What a strange place the markets are.

Yet U.S. stocks are booming and the Dow is within spitting distance of its all-time high - 11,750pts on Jan. 14, 2000.

What a strange place the markets are.

Many Dow components are defensive stocks which would gain attention in a flight to quality. Dow companies also trade internationally so a weaker dollar will help their earnings. Income from higher valued foreign currency shows up well in earnings against dollar expenditure. I'm over and back to the US quite a bit and apart from housing, I see little sign of a consumer slowdown....yet.

The air is thick with aeronautical analogies today, what with soft landings etc.

Growth in U.S. Slows to `Stall Speed,' Raising Recession Risk
By Rich Miller

Oct. 2 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. economy has slowed more dramatically than most economists expected just a few weeks ago, leaving it more vulnerable to a recession.

Forecasters at Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and AllianceBernstein Holding LP in New York have cut their growth estimates for the just-ended third quarter to an annual rate of 2 percent or less. They don't foresee much, if any, improvement in the fourth quarter: Auto-production cuts and slumping home sales are likely to overwhelm any boost the economy gets from lower gasoline prices, they say.

``We're decelerating fairly significantly,'' says Peter Hooper, a former Federal Reserve official who's now chief economist at Deutsche Bank Securities Inc. in New York. He sees annual growth below 2 percent in the second half. The economy expanded at a 2.6 percent rate in the second quarter and 5.6 percent in the first.

``The one-two punch of a slowing housing market and the large announced auto-production cuts by GM, Ford and Chrysler is really going to slow the economy,'' says Mark Vitner, a senior economist at Wachovia Corp in Charlotte, North Carolina. ``It's going to be a bit of a rough landing.''

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ahY7_Y5RkMVk&refer=home

Just picked this up over on HPC (C) Realistbear

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/061003/323/gntzj.html

Tuesday October 3, 11:40 PM

Forecast sees housing prices falling​

WASHINGTON (AFX) - Housing prices, slumping after a five-year boom, are projected to decline in more than 100 of the nation's metropolitan areas, with the Northeast, Florida and California among the areas hardest hit.​

The forecast by Moody's Economy.com, a private research firm, presents one of the starkest views yet of the housing slowdown that has been gathering force in recent months......./

The West Chester, Pa., forecasting firm projects that the median sales price for an existing home will decline in 2007 by 3.6 percent, which would be the first decline for an entire year in home prices since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

The forecast is included in a 195-page report, 'Housing at the Tipping Point,' which The Associated Press obtained before its general release on Wednesday.​

When the Great Depression began on Wall Street on that dreadful day in 1929 they were saying "it won't happen here" or "it's different this time." Spain is wobbling, Ireland have just had their third month in a row of slowing prices, OZ is in trouble.......................

Liam Halligan economics editor of the Sunday Telegraph writing in the New Statesman. [broken link removed]

I can't make up my mind on a US recession, data has been conflicting in recent weeks. Consumers are still spending:

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Sto...443E-4C28-93B6-55964CF3C42F}&siteid=mktw&dist=

With few notable exceptions, retailers turned in better-than-expected same-store sales results as consumers shopped for fleece, sweaters and leggings, monthly sales reports showed Thursday.
By a margin of roughly 3-to-1, more retailers outpaced forecasts than missed, reached by analysts reporting to Thomson Financial.

I can't make up my mind on a US recession, data has been conflicting in recent weeks. Consumers are still spending:

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Sto...43E-4C28-93B6-55964CF3C42F}&siteid=mktw&dist=

I was pretty certain that The Fed would start cutting rates next year in response to a slowing economy. But it seems that the inflationary cat is out of the bag.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Busin...-interest-rates/2006/10/07/1159641559916.html

OPEC look like they will cut back production to defend the price of oil so the prospects of sub $50 a barrel are remote. The price of US 5 and 10 year T bills have fallen, so the money markets may be absorbing the fact that the inflation monster is far from slain.

At the core of my view [stagflation, then disinflation/selected deflation] is the fact that you cannot hold interest rates real negative, as Fed and ECB did and for as long as they did, without payback. And that payback is inflation. And I mean serious inflation, the sort that dissolves wealth and that requires v high real rates in order to tame [a la Volcker late 70s]. When I filter through the noise, some of which fits my thesis, some doesnt, I still see this as an inescapable outcome. Higher real rates everywhere and consequences of, colours all my investment decisions.

In the US all that liquidity is still in the system, sloshing around. The hot money is leaving real estate and pushing up the dow IMO. My pharma/health stocks are going nuts all of sudden, wonder why?

At the core of my view [stagflation, then disinflation/selected deflation] is the fact that you cannot hold interest rates real negative, as Fed and ECB did and for as long as they did, without payback. And that payback is inflation. And I mean serious inflation, the sort that dissolves real wealth and that requires v high real rates in order to tame [a la Volcker late 70s]. When I filter through the noise, some of which fits my thesis, some doesnt, I still see this as an inescapable outcome. Higher real rates everywhere and consequences of, colours all my investment decisions.

In the US all that liquidity is still in the system, sloshing around. The hot money is leaving real estate and pushing up the dow IMO. My pharma/health stocks are going nuts all of sudden, wonder why?

Its astonishing that the liquidity splurge in the west has not caused rampant double digit inflation already. Sure China and India have had a deflationary effect, capping wage growth, but money supply running above target in the US, EU and UK, you would expect inflation to pick up at some stage (house bubbles excepted).

The hot money is leaving real estate and pushing up the dow IMO. My pharma/health stocks are going nuts all of sudden, wonder why?

I think you're right, the stock market and large caps in particular are the in-thing now that property is becoming a dirty word.

The US trade deficit still growing, faster than expect it appears.
[broken link removed]

I think you're right, the stock market and large caps in particular are the in-thing now that property is becoming a dirty word.

With the Dow breaking its nominal all-time high, the next bubble could be large caps.

How long before banks start offering leveraged investment in the stock market?

With real negative interest rates and capital guaranteed funds it is easy to imagine Paddy investor ploughing his easy property money into large caps.

What a truly horrible time this is for someone wishing to invest, everywhere you turn another bubble is forming. As W2DW points out, there has to be a payback for this global liquidity splurge. Either the CBs move rates to above the "actual" rate of inflation to curb the madness or they let things continue on towards hyper-inflation and eventual deflation.

What a truly horrible time this is for someone wishing to invest, everywhere you turn another bubble is forming.

If you ignore the Dow headlines and search for individual companies, there are opportunities to buy shares at reasonable value, even one or two in the Irish market IMO.

Bad news about the US economy doesn't stop me buying undervalued companies :)

The US bond market is pricing in a cut in US rates next year as the bursting housing bubble and debt saturation hit the American consumer (I was going to say economy but consumer is more accurate) but the DOW is at at 52 week high? I'll find the link but the correlation between Dow highs and interest rate cuts is interesting. Its happened before in 1981, 1989 could be a precursor?

The US bond market is pricing in a cut in US rates next year as the bursting housing bubble and debt saturation hit the American consumer (I was going to say economy but consumer is more accurate) but the DOW is at at 52 week high? I'll find the link but the correlation between Dow highs and interest rate cuts is interesting. Its happened before in 1981, 1989 could be a precursor?

The Dow is at an all-time (non-inflation adjusted) high.

I would say that stocks are pricing in that rate cut as well. That said, the bond market seemed to get ahead of itself and pared back recently. The rate cut seems less nailed on now.

The stock market doesn't seem to be listening though.

Well here's that chart any ways. Whatever happens (my bet is a US recession) its goin to happen. :confused:

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2006/10/when_does_the_f.html#comments

A quick aside on charts...
Just adding this here in case the chart above gives people the impression that the Dow is at a cliff edge. That chart is on a linear scale so it's not representative of long-term proportional growth. Linear charts are fine for short term comparison but logarithmic charts work better for longer term assessment.

Dow Jones Industrial Average (logarithmic) from 1970:
[broken link removed]=

So to make it look scary ... just use linear starting from a period of stagnation (1970)
Dow Jones Industrial Average (linear) from 1970:
[broken link removed]=

Here's the graph from 1928 to 2006 in logarithmic scale - which isn't nearly as scary looking and more representative IMO:
[broken link removed]=

extracts from Davys daily report

Shows that soft landing will still hit the US construction sector, this company is also writing down its land bank by $50m

"Centex, the number-four US homebuilder, reported Q2 results after the bell last night (October 12th). Net orders fell 28% year-on-year, reflecting a record level of home sales contract cancellations."

"The company cites buyers inability to sell their existing homes as a key issue driving cancellations. Management now expects Q2 earnings in the range 65 to75c a share. In July, the company forecast Q2 earnings per share of $1.40."

Last edited:
Back