The advantages of a Curve card

Just wanted to say, I've been using Curve for a few years now and find it great. You only need one card number loaded on to websites/apps etc. and you get instant transaction notifications (so an extra level of security). Gives you mobile phone payments no matter how antiquated your bank is. Better exchange rates for the like of Amazon and can transfer tractions between cards after the purchase if you have a need to. etc.

One disadvantage is that paying with Curve may mean you don't qualify for cashback bonuses from your underlying card issuer.
That's not the case with Avant or KBC. I use Curve 100% and flick between the two cards in Curve as applicable. I use one card 100% one month then pay it off before the end of the next month and vice versa to avoid interest.

I use the Curve 100% as I lock it when I'm not using it.
I always (as far as I can tell) have gotten cashback the next month when I've made qualifying purchases using the Curve. e.g. I've just scrolled through my KBC statement on the phone. All transactions are marked CRV*.... going back to July. This month I got €5.33 Cash Rewards. Won't make me rich but better than not getting it. And I know I get the cashback on Avant periodically too.

That's mostly been the case for me too, with the same banks :) Where the issuing bank's cashback is channel based (e.g. all online purchases) it reliably comes through. But when it depends on the merchant type, Curve may inadvertently block cashback, as they can alter the Merchant Category Code, sometimes inconsistently. There are complaints on the Curve forums about this - even in one case where a sale went through without cashback but the subsequent refund had cashback deducted.

Do the Curve spending limits show reliably for you in the app? I'm having a recent problem with Curve declining all transactions. I've resubmitted requested ID documentation but they don't seem to have fixed it yet, and I'm not even sure if or when the limit will reset if not increased.

Last edited:
Just wondering, how does Curve Card make money? Presumably, they charge commission to the merchant (like any credit/debit card) but then have to pass this on to the issuer of the underlying card (but I could be wrong).

Last edited:
They might be presenting as a corporate purchase card, which would attract a higher processing fee from the merchant than most of the cards they're wrapping.

Just wondering, how does Curve Card make money?
Simply put, they don't. You can view their 2019 accounts here: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09523903/filing-history
2020 accounts are due to be filed at the end of September. They'll only potentially start making money if they get a large enough user base, get a lot of them to pay a monthly subscription, and eventually upsell other products that they haven't launched yet - for example Revolut have started short term lending. Don't overlook the amount of data these Fintechs have.

Don't overlook the amount of data these Fintechs have
Revolut still seems on a steep learning curve when it comes to monetizing customers' data. None of the "just for you" offers I'm getting from Revolut have the remotest resemblance to anything I have ever bought, including Ann Summers accessories for which Revolut keeps offering me generous discounts..

Last edited:
Do the Curve spending limits show reliably for you in the app? I'm having a recent problem with Curve declining all transactions. I've resubmitted requested ID documentation but they don't seem to have fixed it yet, and I'm not even sure if or when the limit will reset if not increased.

Not sure. I remember a year or two ago I had a problem where I was approaching my limit for the year so I contacted them and they upped it.
Looking at the 365 day limit now I have a limit of €1,680,000. That might as well be a lifetime limit. I'm not going to hit that. :)

My daily limit is €2,400. I can't think of any time in the last couple of years where I've spent €2400 in a day.

Thanks. I can't even see what my current limits are in the app, it either quits or brings me to a generic FAQ when I try to navigate to limits. I'll contact them again.

Back