Thailand for honeymoon....

kojak

Hi,
I hope you might be able to advise me.
Myself and my lovely wife (to be) are going to thailand for our honeymooon leaving mid march, next month.
So far the itinery is 2x nites in bangkok, flight then up to chiang mai for 3x nites, then a flight down to phuket for the remainder of our honeymoon (3.5 weeks in total).
My question is can you recommend places for us to go, we want somewhere nice/secluded/good choice of restaurants/decent hotels etc etc....
we are hearing mixed reviews about phuket that it's over touristy/expensive and general this and that but unsure if it's all like this or only part of it....?? we dont mind a small bit of that to a certain degree but we definately DO want to go places that make us feel like it's our own/postcard setting kind of thing.
We dont mind driving or travelling a bit, or staying in a couple of different places to break the trip up mix and match or whatever, so if there is places you can think of we would love to hear about them.

Many thanks,

ps. can anyone also recommend any hotels ?

I would recommend Koh Phi Phi. It is a lovely island that is small with amazing beaches. You need to get a boat to it from phuket or Krabi.

From there you can also do the usual trips to the islands like James Bond & Monkey Island, but they are more day trips.

I would suggest staying more than 2 nights in Bangkok. So much to see. Try a private water-taxi trip along the canals off the main river for a view of the real city.
As it is a special occasion I'd recommend the Krungthep wing of the Shangri La Hotel. Stunning river views, exclusive and great service. Right next to a Skytrain station too for easy city travel.

I wouldn't stay in Phuket for the whole time. Try a couple of different places like Krabi (use as a base). Ko Lanta is also worth a visit. (stayed in a really beautiful hotel so will try and find the details). Also maybe Ao nang and Railay.
Thailand is touristy but there are always places to escape. Have to admit I am a big of the Country and the people.
Of course avoid Pattaya and the like!

Hi,
My question is can you recommend places for us to go, we want somewhere nice/secluded/good choice of restaurants/decent hotels etc etc....
we are hearing mixed reviews about phuket that it's over touristy/expensive and general this and that but unsure if it's all like this or only part of it....?? we dont mind a small bit of that to a certain degree but we definately DO want to go places that make us feel like it's our own/postcard setting kind of thing.

We stayed here a few months after the tsunami, obviously Phuket was quiet then. We really enjoyed it, don't know how popular it has gotten since though.

Funny story : the first night we stayed here, we got a call from somebody shouting down the line, wife picked up and ignored it, happened again and wife couldn't understand so handed it to me, the voice was shouting TSUNAMI GO UPSTAIRS in broken English (this isn't the funny part of the story), I jumped out of bed, wife was taking her time so I "gently urged" her to hurry up (she was looking for comfortable shoes - I kid you not). Anyway we got to the roof of the hotel to find some very sheepish Westerners staring at the ground with some "ladies" of the night by their side. Morto. Scarlet. Scundered.

Anyway...

Cape Panwa is about a half an hours bus drive from Phuket Town if you do want a bit of nightlife as the hotel is isolated and is dead at night save people having a quiet dinner. The bus there and back is complementary but if you miss the bus home (you will!), you can easily get a tuk tuk home (have a few Singhas first).

If you are looking for other islands, we loved Koh Samui - stayed in Bophut village.

Enjoy, Thailand is the bees knees.

I've been to Chang Mai for 3 nights and thought it was a bit of a waste. It's a good base for trekking, but with 3 days/nights the worthwhile options aren't really open. The markets in Bangkok are better too - much of the same stuff but more expensive in Chang Mai. Theres a good temple there (sponsored by Pepsi!) called Doi Suthep (i think), but other than that and an elephant ride, I was very under-whelmed by Chang Mai.
Also we were bitten to bits by mozzies. The place is infested with swarms of the things. *itchy*

If you itinerary is changeable, I'd spend more time in Bangkok.

I'd definitely spend more time in Bangkok. It's a great city. Have been there a couple of times and last year we spent a week and there was still loads we hadn't done.

I'd also look at getting to Vietnam or Cambodia or Laos as you can get great value in flights from Bangkok.

Islands get boring after a while so unless you're majorly into beaches or water activities...a week-10 days is plenty.

If you're not trekking, is there a particular reason you want to go to Chiang Mai. It's certainly different from Bangkok but not a ton of stuff to do unless you want to do tours to the villages. The zoo is huge, and you can do trips to Elephant sanctuaries but there are plenty of them around Thailand.

We have always stayed in Dusit Hotels. They're a Thai owned chain of very nice hotels. They have a couple of different levels of hotel, Dusit Thani are lovely. D2 are funky, their hotel in Chiang Mai is really well located. They also have a resort just outside Hua Hin on the mainland (about 90 mins drive from Bangkok) which is a nice beach destination if you don't want to travel too much.

I can also highly recomment the D2 hotel in CHiang Mai. I found Chiang Mai to be a lovely city, while Bangkok is great I felt Chiang Mai was more authentic. I travelled up to the Golden Trianangle from chiang mai- very interesting place some interesting towns right on the burmese border

Back