TFL Rail instead of Heathrow Express from Paddington to Heathrow

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I want to go from King's Cross to Heathrow.

1) I can take the tube to Paddington and get the Heathrow Express

2) I can get the Piccadilly Line and go straight to Heathrow - one hour

With Option 1, I have to get off the tube and walk to the Heathrow Express and then wait for the Heathrow Express, so is it much quicker than just taking the Jubilee Line?

Brendan

Tube Kings Cross to Paddington 10mins
Walk to Platform 7 3mins
Average wait 7 mins ( Heathrow express runs every 15 mins)
Time to Terminal 2 15 mins

Total 35 mins ( or max 43 if you have to wait 15 at Paddington)

Much more comfortable than Tube also

I think you mean Piccadilly where you wrote Jubilee above

Hi Brendan,

The Heathrow Express option is quicker and easier but it is also substantially more expensive.

If you have plenty of time, the Piccadilly Line probably makes sense. I use the website ‘Rome to Rio’ a bit and find it useful. It suggests 33 mins for the Paddington option and 57 mins for the Tube option. But it’s probably €35 vs €5.

Are you committed to flights, because the Northern Line to Bank and then the DLR would get you to City in 35 mins for very little. Luton Airport is also about 35 mins direct from Kings Cross. There are some decent flights (timewise and costwise) from both.

Gordon

Thanks lads

Hi Gordon

I messed up a bit when booking my flights. I thought I would finish the day nearer Paddington.

I am flying over via London City Airport but back by Heathrow.

In future, I will probably fly out and back via London City.

Luton never occurred to me.

Brendan

Just checked Kings Cross to Luton and it said 1 hour and 5 minutes to Luton Airport Parkway.

How do you do it in 35 minutes?

Brendan

Tube Kings Cross to Paddington 10mins
Walk to Platform 7 3mins
Average wait 7 mins ( Heathrow express runs every 15 mins)
Time to Terminal 2 15 mins

Total 35 mins ( or max 43 if you have to wait 15 at Paddington)

Thanks

So I am saving between 35 minutes and 17 minutes.

Probably not worth it for the extra money and the hassle of changing trains and finding tickets and finding platform 7.

Brendan

Brendan, I usually take the bus, National express or Easy Bus from Baker Street to Luton, drops you off right outside the terminal too, if you book online in advance with Easy bus, you can get tickets from as little as £3. Journey time 45 mins approx.

Just checked Kings Cross to Luton and it said 1 hour and 5 minutes to Luton Airport Parkway.

How do you do it in 35 minutes?

Brendan

If you try “London St Pancras to Luton”, depending on the time it should say between 24 and 36 minutes. Kings Cross and St Pancras are technically different stations but are essentially part of one big hub.

I usually take the bus, National express or Easy Bus from Baker Street to Luton,

Hi Saavy

I always view a bus journey in the likes of London as very unpredictable. If there is severe traffic, could it not be much longer than 45 minutes? Getting in from Luton it makes sense. But getting to the airport, how reliable is it?

And how often do they run?

Brendan

When I lived in London I didn't have much money.

Therefore I took the Piccadilly line to Heathrow. It is slow and a bit awkward if you have a lot of baggage.

If you are cash-poor and time-rich then it is absolutely fine. However it is probably more subject to delays than the Heathrow Express.

Hi Saavy

I always view a bus journey in the likes of London as very unpredictable. If there is severe traffic, could it not be much longer than 45 minutes? Getting in from Luton it makes sense. But getting to the airport, how reliable is it?

And how often do they run?

Brendan

That's true, you could get caught in traffic, they run very frequent esp national express. It is probably better to get bus from Finchley road, it's a bit quicker. I wouldn't be the most organised, allways running up to the departure gate at the last minute :-(

So, I was in London yesterday.

I went out by London City and back via Heathrow as I thought I would be finishing near Paddington.

As it happened my plans changed and I finished at the British Museum at 5.30. I really regretted that I was flying from Heathrow. It would have been much simpler to go back via London City as I usually do.

Having said that, the worst part of the trip was a 15 minute wait outside Holborn tube station as they were restricting entry to the station to ease the crowds on the platforms. But once inside, I got on a Piccadilly Line tube which was not too crowded. I got a seat and arrived at Heathrow an hour later.

The only reason for going via Heathrow seems to be if you will be finishing near Paddington or somewhere on the outer edges of the Piccadilly line.

Brendan

Back