Text books to CDs

Stephen Hawking, you mean?

I agree with the posters who suggest that scanning, OCR-ing, recording, disk burning then listening in the car is a quite mad way to study. :)

Is this not such a good idea....especially when you are driving.

Are you serious? Do you listen to music when you drive do you listen to the radio talk shows?

If not, let me fill you in, its ok to drive and listen to a CD or radio. Thats why the manufactures put them in the cars.

Stephen Hawking, you mean? ...
That's who OP meant - my "Stephen Hawkins bio" apparently sailed high and wide, although I thought my old pal :)rolleyes:, Sarcartes the emoticon) would have been a hint; ho hum.

Stephen Hawking, you mean?

I agree with the posters who suggest that scanning, OCR-ing, recording, disk burning then listening in the car is a quite mad way to study. :)

I can scan 35ppm+, not sure how long the text to speech will take? then burn the CD, doesn't seem to difficult to me.

I will bring a text book to work in the morning and have it completely scanned in on my lunch break. I will bring it home and see how long it takes to convert it to speech. I will then burn it to CD.

Again whats the best software? You might think its a bit mad but I think its a clever used of technology and my time.

Best of luck with it then!

Let us know afterwards if you think it was worth it.

I can scan 35ppm+, not sure how long the text to speech will take? then burn the CD, doesn't seem to difficult to me...
Scanning produces an image of a page, a photograph if you like. That photograph needs to be converted to text via OCR. The text produced by the OCR program is what the text to speech program "reads".

IME what can confuse OCR programs (assuming a fairly clean sans serif type face to begin with) is variations in type-face and styles, as well as headlines, footnotes, sidebars, mathematical equations, sub and super-scripts, embedded graphics and so on.

Again IME, while you may scan at 35+ ppm, the OCR program will need to "learn" to interpret the scans and this can be very time-consuming depending on the page you want to convert - as a rule of thumb figure 2 to 4 times as long as scanning a page, at best.

Are you serious? Do you listen to music when you drive do you listen to the radio talk shows?

If not, let me fill you in, its ok to drive and listen to a CD or radio. Thats why the manufactures put them in the cars.

Thats entirely different to studying. Its not the same level of concentration. That level of concentration applied to study, isn't going to all that effective. IMO. Regardless of what people tell you, you're going to do this anyway. You'll probably convince yourself that its useful. But the time you'll take to do this , if applied to actually reading and taking your own notes would be vastly more effective. IMO.

I think the OP will spend an inordinate amount of time converting text to speech and the result won't justify the effort.

The old fashioned way of reading your books, jotting notes down etc. will be more beneficial to you in the long run.

I'd be interested to know how this pans out for you also.

His name is Stephen Hawking, not Hawkins ! ... I think the posters above might have been trying to tell you while pulling your leg. ;)

(oops ... and I think my comment is a page late. And now back to our normal transmission)

:D

I was waiting for you to say this...you cannot compare listening to music to listening to & taking in all or most information on an audio book CD.

IMO the concentration levels are totally different...hence the level of distraction are not the same.

Just guesstimating - listening to a book requires 75-100% concentration & listening to music on a radio requires 0-25% concentration (sometimes music just flows....& one does not pick up all the words....just the tune or rhythm.

I would be interested to know if you can get it to work....listening to a book while walking over the weekend appeals to me.

I am shocked that one person on this thread doesn't know of Stephen Hawkins and another thinks he is American:eek:.

If your knowledge of text to speech software is as lacking as your knowledge of the world over the last 40 years, your advice will not be heeded.

Stephen Hawkins is English and is one of the most famous scientists of the 20th century.

Ohh dear! Ohh dear! Did you mean Professor Stephen W. Hawking? If so, I'm shocked, totally shocked that you wouldn't know how to spell the name of "one of the most famous scientists of the 20th century." Even more shocked that you would try a little mud slinging in my direction - nice try though - I set that one up when I saw the original post and I just knew some poor schmuck would fall for it. Hard luck it was you!

Im putting the inordinate level of biting down to new years cobwebs.

To the OP, scanning and getting a reader will be too time consuming. Take it from a few posters, including myself, who may have more experience and thought about it and even tried it.

As to listening to it in a car, try the following, you can download mp3 comedy shows from the web, burn to cd, watch your concentration drop as you concentrate on the words, rather than as mentioned above, background music. I stopped listening to the shows after a couple of near misses.

I would imagine study material would even have a higher level of concentration as youre forcing yourself to absorb words, meanings and deductions so not recommended.

Ohh dear! Ohh dear! Did you mean Professor Stephen W. Hawking? If so, I'm shocked, totally shocked that you wouldn't know how to spell the name of "one of the most famous scientists of the 20th century." Even more shocked that you would try a little mud slinging in my direction - nice try though - I set that one up when I saw the original post and I just knew some poor schmuck would fall for it. Hard luck it was you!

Orga, your meaningless posts would be better some where else. Not one of your post has been a productive one. I would suggest that you think of the OP before posting again on this thread. Dont waste our time.

Im putting the inordinate level of biting down to new years cobwebs.

To the OP, scanning and getting a reader will be too time consuming. Take it from a few posters, including myself, who may have more experience and thought about it and even tried it.

As to listening to it in a car, try the following, you can download mp3 comedy shows from the web, burn to cd, watch your concentration drop as you concentrate on the words, rather than as mentioned above, background music. I stopped listening to the shows after a couple of near misses.

I would imagine study material would even have a higher level of concentration as youre forcing yourself to absorb words, meanings and deductions so not recommended.

Thanks everyone who conntrabuted, I will let you know how I get on, it may work it may not.

Either way I will find out.

I am studying at the moment as part of my CPD (continual professional development). I drive almost 3 hours a day and would like to use this time productively.

If I could get my text books and study material converted to audio I could use my driving time as study time.

What is the best way of converting my text books to CD?

Your CPD isn't in inter-personal skills and lessons in avoiding condescension is it? Good luck with it!

Your CPD isn't in inter-personal skills and lessons in avoiding condescension is it? Good luck with it!

Really Orga, is there a CPD course that deals with avoiding condescension (Patronizingly behavior) please pass on the details. Did you pass?

Back