Text books to CDs

Airtight

I am studying at the moment as part of my CPD (continual professional development). I drive almost 3 hours a day and would like to use this time productively.

If I could get my text books and study material converted to audio I could use my driving time as study time.

What is the best way of converting my text books to CD?

Using the titles / authors, try a search for audio books.

Other than that you are looking at scanning the books to text files of some kind and using a text-to-speech program to produce audio files (a long-winded process that may infringe copyrights).

I have tried searching the internet for audio books. I have even the ISBN for each book but no success.

What software would you recommend that I use to convert text to speech?

Do you think it would be impractical to record my own voice reading the text?

Personally, I think it would be impractical, and unless you're a good actor you'll probably risk sending yourself to sleep at the wheel.

Maybe you could get a bus or train and read the actual books?

You will waste more time trying to do what you are suggesting than you will gain by doing it. To give youo an idea download Microsoft Reader for free and try a few of the free e-books then get it to read some free text - do you see what I mean?

Check with your local library to see if they have the audio books. If not, they might be able to order them in for you from other libraries. Also, check with the library of the relevant professional institution. Audio-books are very useful for many people with vision impairments, so you may well find them via the libraries.

I did good notes for a course, and read the notes onto computer into mp3 format for transfer to my phone. The benefit of this approach is that you actually get to read the topic, so the audio notes are useful to refresh yourself rather than learning something new. It was very useful. Try doing a precis of some of the chapters and then read it to try it out - text to speech tends to sound weird.

The optimum time before you get bored of listening to yourself (or reading it to the computer) is about 6-7 minutes, so try to keep it relatively short and to the point, and limit your material to something you can get covered in that time.

Also check out the US university websites (Harvard etc) - they may have some lectures on topic that you can download as podcasts.

I plan to read the books once and use the audio to refresh my memory. I think some of you have offer good ideas, such as approaching library's and note taking on audio.

Still I will try the text speech software, has anybody got good or bad reviews of software that you have used? Its important that the voice is human like and does not sound like Stephen Hawkins.

Its important that the voice is human like and does not sound like Stephen Hawkins

:confused: Whats wrong with an american accent?

Get microsoft reader or a pdf reader as suggested above. Get a soft copy of your text, and the readers will do what you want. Most readers come with different voices, some even sound human.

Get microsoft reader or a pdf reader as suggested above. Get a soft copy of your text, and the readers will do what you want. Most readers come with different voices, some even sound human.

Who is Stephen Hawkins, a neighbour?

You will waste more time trying to do what you are suggesting than you will gain by doing it. To give youo an idea download Microsoft Reader for free and try a few of the free e-books then get it to read some free text - do you see what I mean?

I'm with Orga. Its not a productive use of time.

The publishers of the book should be able to tell you if they have sold voice recording rights to one of the companies that produce audio books. Ring their reception and ask for the rights department or the commissioning editor of the book.
If so then you should be able to get it . Most books are not turned into audio books though so I suspect you won't have much luck.

If you did record a whole book onto cd yourself I suspect that technically you would be in breach of copyright.

I am studying at the moment as part of my CPD (continual professional development). I drive almost 3 hours a day and would like to use this time productively.

If I could get my text books and study material converted to audio I could use my driving time as study time.

What is the best way of converting my text books to CD?

Is this not such a good idea....especially when you are driving.

Who is Stephen Hawkins, a neighbour?

I am shocked that one person on this thread doesn't know of Stephen Hawkins and another thinks he is American:eek:.

If your knowledge of text to speech software is as lacking as your knowledge of the world over the last 40 years, your advice will not be heeded.

Stephen Hawkins is English and is one of the most famous scientists of the 20th century.

I am shocked that one person on this thread doesn't know of Stephen Hawkins and another thinks he is American:eek:.
Stephen Hawkins, aka Stevo the Hawk, is an American-born descendant of Jack Hawkins, the famous English pirate. His country of birth is one explanation given for his accent, although some biographers argue that his accent is actually an attempt to conceal his D2 connections, having lived for a period in one of the old family seats, Hawkins House in Hawkins Street.

A one-time school-mate of Bill Cullen's, Stevo's post school retail career in the fresh fruit buisness was terminated when Bill allegedly ended their business relationship by uttering for the first time the immortal words "Stevo, you're fired".

In a later attempt at reconciliation, Bill offered Stevo the Renault concession for North America, but in a brilliant move, typical of his later inspired business decisions, Stevo responded, "Stick it Bill, the Yanks and Canadians have enough of their own crap cars to buy; there's no room for any more junkers in this market".

A brilliant salesman, Stevo went on earn a staggering fortune selling coals to Newcastle and snow to Eskimos, but later diversified into the original family business, the root of his real riches, by illegally duplicating software and entertainment DVD's.

Stevo now resides in variety of locations (aka safe-houses) and is on top of the popularity charts with organisations such as Interpol, FACT and FAST.

I'm amazed no-one knew this. :rolleyes:

Stephen Hawkins, aka Stevo the Hawk, is an American-born descendant of Jack Hawkins, the famous English pirate. His country of birth is one explanation given for his accent, although some biographers argue that his accent is actually an attempt to conceal his D2 connections, having lived for a period in one of the old family seats, Hawkins House in Hawkins Street.

A one-time school-mate of Bill Cullen's, Stevo's post school retail career in the fresh fruit buisness was terminated when Bill allegedly ended their business relationship by uttering for the first time the immortal words "Stevo, you're fired".

In a later attempt at reconciliation, Bill offered Stevo the Renault concession for North America, but in a brilliant move, typical of his later inspired business decisions, Stevo responded, "Stick it Bill, the Yanks and Canadians have enough of their own crap cars to buy; there's no room for any more junkers in this market".

A brilliant salesman, Stevo went on earn a staggering fortune selling coals to Newcastle and snow to Eskimos, but later divesified into the oiginal family business, the root of his real riches, by illegally duplicating software and entertainment DVD's.

Stevo now resides in variety of locations (aka safe-houses) and is on top of the popularity charts with organisations such as Interpol, FACT and FAST.

I'm amazed no-one knew this. :rolleyes:

What an amazing mind you have, but unfortunately not in the same context as Stevo ;)

What do you and Orga base your statements on?

Past experience of working with audio, graphics and ocr. OCR is not error free and the physical process of scanning a book is very time consuming. Even recording and editing audio is very time consuming and thats were theres no OCR involved. I reckon the best you could do would be to take your own crib notes, summarizing the important sections only and record them.

But even then (with respect) you won't be able to concentrate properly while driving, reducing the effectiveness of studing this way yet further. Thats ignoring the fact it could be very distracting while driving.

So in summary you'll waste hours/days putting on CD, then it won't be that effective when you do listen to it, as you'll only be partially paying attention. Be different if you were on a train and taking notes as you listened.

Stephen Hawkins uses text to speech to communicate as a result of his inability to speak. The voice he uses is a computer generated voice.

Again, I am amazed some thing like this would have to be explained to somebody that is old enough to use a computer. :eek:

Back