Test moisture content of concrete floor screed

tecate

Is there a device I can rent out (or buy) to measure the moisture content of a floor screed?

What I have in mind is that I drill holes in screed and use this device to measure moisture content. I'm concerned about potential DPM (or even dpc failure or similar issue due to debris build up in the cavity of the wall) defects.

With that, I'd rather do some preliminary testing rather than borrowing like a mole all over the place - and it being pot luck if I find anything relevant or not.

What depth should I drill down to WITHOUT puncturing radon barrier /dpm?

You may not need to drill. Moisture meters are available from most hire shops. You can buy cheaper ones that may be good enough for your purposes, just make sure they can read down to the level you require.

The NOFMA contain comprehensive details on testing methods.

Thanks Leo. However, someone had advised me that legally (there's an insurance scenario at play here), I'd need to drill down further and take a reading from that point. I need to go back and review the info I have on that when I get home later tonight. It wouldn't be accepted as a defect if it wasn't of a certain moisture content deep into the screed.

Some of the better non invasive testers can test to a depth, but the insurance aspect does complicate things greatly. If you need to test the content at a prescribe depth, then the probe meters are your only option.

This one mentions its capable of testing to a list of international standards. Perhaps a read of those standards will give you a guide to accepted best practice.

Back