Test driving - Skoda/VW/Nissan?

livEwirE

Hi all,

I am considering buying my first car from a garage shortly and am wondering is it possible to test drive a car overnight. Can I walk into a garage and point to a car and say "hey I'm interested in taking that model for a test drive, I'll bring it back to you tomorrow."

I sure I read somwhere that you can do this:confused: ? Is it BS or can this be done?

Any feedback most appreciated - p.s. - I'm struggling to choose between a Skoda Octavia 03/W Bora 03/Nissan Primera 03 - any recommendations appreciated:confused: ?

Cheers,

~livEwirE~

Ask the garage - all they can say is yes or no.

Your car choice - I'd avoid the Bora. The other 2 are fine. Just my personal opinion.

Just wondering why you would avoid the Bora? Have you a reason, is there something I should know about them:eek:?

i knoiw opal did an offer last year where you could take a car for 3 days as a test drive not sure if they are still doing it but seemed like a sensible thing at the time. No harm in asking though.

I haven't seen 3 exact cars yet, just looking at the mo'

The cars range from around 12k - 15k.

I like the overall look of the Primera and drive onright now - very reliable and a workhorse.
Everyone recommends Octavias, I'd be getting a 03, not great looking though.

The Bora has the VW badge for resale value.

What would you choose?

I have an Octavia...so I'm biased in favour of that. Great car.
The Bora is essentially the same car as the Octavia but is more expensive because of the badge (having said that, everyone and their mother knows that the Octavia is a fine car....I challenge you to find me a bad review).

My sister has a Primera...looks snassy on the inside.....she has a 1.6L which is too small an engine for the size of the car...I'd advise you to take a look at a 2L. My sister's mpg is very poor resulting in higher petrol costs.

You'll probably get an '04 Octavia for the same price as a Bora '02.
I'd guess the primera would me the most expensive of the cars.

Cheers for the feedback Squonk.

I am looking at a 1.4L petrol Octavia, would the mpg be good?

The only thing putting me off the Octavia is the poor resale value. Is it really that bad?

Sqounk

When you said your sisters car looked snassy di you mistype snasty.

New primera is horrible looking IMO also depreciate like a stone so should be cheap as chips. Merlin motor city have bucket loads of them.

Bora is being replaced by new jetta this year, it wasn't called the vw boring for nothing. You will end up paying over the odds for the vw badge.

I would say get a top spec primera or Octavia, would be the best bet.

I meant snazzy i.e. good ! (how is that word spelt??) Frank, I hadn't realised that the Primera depeciated so fast....any specific reason for that?

LiveWire...I have a 1.6L Octavia and I easily average 35-40mpg. I had test driven the 1.4L but thought the engine was too small for the car..the Octavia is pretty heavy.

It seems that Nissan primeras always do. The nissan badge isn't desirable enough.

I found this to my horror on my last car grand car just no resale value.

Although it does mean they make good second hand buys.

When I went looking at changing the car recently the (Opel) garage offered me a 05 Astra for the week, without obligation, which I thought was more than fair, even said they'd drop it to and collect it from my door! Another garage I visited gave me a new demo model to test drive but told me "not to drive too far, there's no petrol in it", as soon as I had driven out the entrance the gauge was flashing a "low fuel" warning. The first garage won the sale.

If someone left me test drive a car for a week I'd feel so guily I'd have to buy it !

Squonk said:
If someone left me test drive a car for a week I'd feel so guily I'd have to buy it !

I only took it for less than an hour anyway but I'm sure there are plenty out there who would take up the free use of a car for a week!

If you could find enough opel garages I suppose you could have a free car for the year.

Or maybe I am not sure anout the astra can I have the vectra next week then the diesel the week after.

If only we could get over that guilt.

Back